navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Tea with Germaine
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tea with Germaine Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Joricho
since 2001-05-06
Posts 56
Australia

0 posted 2001-05-31 11:37 PM

OK, deep breath.... this is a poem about an ISSUE, and as such it is a real departure for me. As always, all suggestions gratefully received. (btw, hope I'm not posting these too often... don't want to be greedy!)

Tea with Germaine

I bought early the lie
that I am I
without others,
that worthwhile lives
are wrestled out of solitary clay,
and that dependence
is the great and only crime.

A conviction introduced
by the bruises on those
whose need was their prison,
and given words
by strong and tortured heroines.

They poured contempt
on the tiredness of my mother,
on the small wounds
woodwork left on my father's hands.

They were the fiercest surgeons
always for amputation
immediately.

They lived alone.
They showed their scars with pride.
They lied.

© Copyright 2001 Joricho - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2001-06-01 12:26 PM

Joricho:

I like this.  My impression is that certain peers lauded the virtues of independence at the expense of the speaker's parents.  The speaker has learned the "errors" of strict Individualism and now regrets his/her errors.

The first stanza is particularly well stated, in my opinion.  The first line gives the stanza a momentum that easily carried me into the body of the poem.

The following stanzas do a good job of illustrating the extreme position held by the speaker (previously) and his/her peers.  The diction is neither overstated nor understated.

I particularly like the way you ended the poem.  The speaker's personal regret does not seem to transform to anger toward his/her peers, but, rather, takes the form of pity for their self-delusion.

Thanks for an enjoyable read.

Jim

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2001-06-01 02:15 PM

Hey Jim, it's good to see you back. We've missed you critiques around here.

Pete

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
3 posted 2001-06-01 09:01 PM

I think the first two stanzas of this are amazing... very profound. The last three stanzas I interpret to illustrate the folly in over-independance and the femi-nazi way?

Overall, I really like this; the end isn't quite as strong as the beginning, maybe because you went from an almost diplomatic style to sharp wording, and the former impressed me more...

If I had a soul I sold it
           for pretty words

-Allen Ginsberg

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

4 posted 2001-06-02 07:23 AM

I like I like I like....you know how some writing just gels when you read it..how it sounds tight. This is such...just a few little suggestions and comments.

quote:
I bought early the lie
that I am I
without others,
that worthwhile lives
and that dependence

Although I like the concept of the second line I found it tripped me up. I mentally stumbled over it - and reading it aloud it still sounded a bit imbalanced. Not sure I'm happy with the two 'thats' so close together either...but other than that this stanza is great..

quote:
A conviction introduced
by the bruises on those
and given words

I like how the last line echoes the pattern in the last line of the first verse - gives it a nice rhythm...'strong and tortured heroine' - gives me many impressions actually...futility mixed with purpose...good stuff here.

quote:
They poured contempt
on the small wounds

I think the first two lines here are superb. These four lines bring such immediacy and life..reality. There is no way to escape the emotion here.

[quote]They were the fiercest surgeons
always for amputation
immediately.

They lived alone.
They lied.[quote/]

Now here, I am thinking you need to expand these...in agreeance with hush. You have some amazing use of language here and to do justice to this I feel the last two sections need to say a little bit more..a little bit more uniquely.

Overall though...a great poem Joricho.

K

It is to do with tree-ferns:
mamuka, pongo, wheki.
Shelter under here is so easily understood.
From 'Hope', by Dinah Hawkins

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

5 posted 2001-06-02 11:38 AM

Joricho,

I enjoyed this immensely. It is certainly contemporary, with so much independence from family being stressed, especially by peers. The journey back to the family, and the need for them was very nicely put. Very well written...good read.

Kris

"It is wisdom to know others;
It is enlightenment to know one's self" - Lao Tzu

furlong
since 2001-04-08
Posts 129

6 posted 2001-06-02 12:19 PM

Joricho

Did you know she chaired the panel of judges in the recent National Poetry Competition in the uk .... and .... and ... a MAN won! .... lol

sorry just had to say that ...lol

ok, basically I liked parts of this a lot but overall I think you missed an opportunity to make it more interesting by signalling the speaker’s stance from line one.  And while the circularity with the closure was neat - it was perhaps just a little too neat - all wrapped up nicely in a tidy little package, just like the archetypal “little housewife” herself might do, no?..or maybe that’s what you intended.

The details:

Tea with Germaine

>>>nice ironic title - tea on the vicarage lawn; a blue rinse tea; tea with chintz and bone china; sooooooo conventional so middle class so un-feminist ... so ironic and funny!

I bought early the lie
that I am I
without others,
that worthwhile lives
and that dependence

>>> standing alone the opening is strong I think, but as I said before I’m not sure whether such a clear declaration makes for the best poem in the end.  My approach (especially given the clever title) might have been to keep the reader guessing about where the speaker stood till near the end or maybe even right to the closure.

A conviction introduced
by the bruises on those
and given words

>>> this strophe is written as a single sentence, but feels unfinished somehow so divorced from the linked references in the first strophe.  I’d be tempted to combine both strophes and to use a comma or maybe a semi-colon after crime, perhaps?

>>> “strong and tortured” is so so germaine......lol

They poured contempt

>>> contempt has been poured quite a lot before don’t you think?  maybe find a more original metaphor?

>>> and “tiredness”..humm..  I’m sure you can improve on that.  These two lines were for me the weakest

but

on the small wounds

>>>in contrast, I thought these two were great!  They sound good, and say so much.  The understatement is powerful, the image compelling.

They were the fiercest surgeons
always for amputation
immediately.

>>> funny old world ..  were you influenced by jenni’s poem or is it just me?!  I’m always doing this - reading good poetry and then finding myself, sometimes weeks later, writing (not so good poetry..lol!)  with echoes of what I read - influence it’s called I believe - I don’t think its bad either.......sorry a diversion there.....lol .... yes I liked this stanza, the shape of it, and the word “immediately”.

They lived alone.
They lied.

>>> I think you get away with “scars with pride” and anyway I like the ironic parallel with the father’s wounds, and the potential for hypocrisy.

>>> the ending is neat, but, for the third time.....lol, it lacks the element of surprise which I think might give it more power.

>>>btw what’s with everyone using reductive closures at the moment in this forum...lol?  

but I liked it!

F

Joricho
since 2001-05-06
Posts 56
Australia
7 posted 2001-06-02 10:39 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I'm always humbled by the effort you are all willing to put into improving others' work... this has been  enormously helpful.
Specifically:
Jim and Hush, glad you like it... Hush, I think you put your finger on the issue others raised, which is one of how it hangs together.. the "flow".

Severn (Kamla, is it?)... THanks for your critique. I'm always a sucker for a bit of rhyme in the midst of my blank verse, which is why I stuck with the first 3 lines when they popped into my head! I'll have a think about it. I agree with your comments about the last stanza... a few others mentioned it too. Again, the rhyme thing always gets me into trouble!

Kris... yes, it's been a personal journey... not that I don't appreciate the questions that have been asked by women like Germaine... GOOD questions! Just don't think anymore that the answer is to make yourself a fortress..!

F - thanks, this was REALLY helpful, put a word to a couple of issues I had felt but not quite worked out. I'm v. amused with your suggestion that the ending is neat and housewifely... heh heh heh.. not intentional! I'll have to do something about that!
I am definitely in agreement that the ending loses punch because of the early declaration of where the speaker stands... but I like the opening as it stands... darn, may have to sacrifice it!
Will change the punctuation for the second stanza as you suggested - that works better, I agree.
Still thinking about the end... I'll let you know.

Thanks again, all!
JO

Many waters cannot quench love,
nor will rivers overflow it.
If a man were to give the riches of his house for love,
it would be utterly despised

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
8 posted 2001-06-03 11:18 PM

hi jo--

i don't have much time, but i just wanted to say (quickly) that i thought you really did a great job on this, especially the opening (including the first line, definitely grabs the reader's attention), and the third stanza, but really, the entire piece.      

i think the poem might be more effective, however, if there was some indication, after the third or fourth stanzas, HOW the speaker came to realize that "they lied," especially after buying it all at one point.  (basically, i disagree with furlong's idea that "they lied" is or should be the payoff here.)  what is it that the speaker has learned that they haven't?  there are hints in the last three stanzas, but i say, be bold!  show us that turning point on the speaker's personal journey.  

i'll try to get back to this in a few days when i have a little more time.  again, wonderful job on this!  as always, i enjoy reading your work.  thanks for posting this for us!

jenni

[This message has been edited by jenni (edited 06-04-2001).]

Sundown
since 2001-06-04
Posts 16
does it really matter?
9 posted 2001-06-04 01:10 AM

I really enjoyed this poem, but the last line of "they lied" just somehow diddn't fit in as well because it rhymed with the line before it... but other than that it was terrific  

"She's been looking like a queen in a sailor's dream, and she don't always say what she really means"

furlong
since 2001-04-08
Posts 129

10 posted 2001-06-04 03:59 AM

I am in a hurry too joricho, but just to say that actually jenni isn't disagreeing with me (she thinks she is, but she isnt), and her suggestion is definitely a good one.  The thrust of the point i was making is that the neat circularity needs to be avoided one way or another; there is not enough surprise or revelation in the poem at the moment.  Whether you choose to overcome this problem by tampering with the end or the beginning or by introducing the insight jenni suggests I don’t think matters much.

Anyway I’ll shut up now ... lol

F

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
11 posted 2001-06-04 04:24 PM

You've got the idea, you've got the skeletal imagery but I think you need to take it further. Maybe, and this is just an idea, take some time and write two or three pages of automatic writing on this theme and the images, describing as much as you can, every little detail, and see what you can use to flesh it out a bit more.

You know, I guess it doesn't hurt when we actually agree with what's being said.  

Brad

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Tea with Germaine

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary