navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » free silhouettes any one?
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic free silhouettes any one? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
sylphid
since 2001-01-23
Posts 30

0 posted 2001-01-28 04:30 PM

silhouettes in pirouettes
Pirouette  one
Sprinkle salt to all who inspire
pirouette two
In thy ears tasting recurrent  madness ..
And in third
In thy heart Kneeling before desire
In one …
For the wind to left me
Hold me against the mist ..
Just below a cloud at rest
Have me overlook traces
Crumbs of entities left within from the crowd
Inhale my happiness
Of thy trivial findings
Of true insights rise high before thine eyes
Sprinkle…sprinkle salt and rice
In two
Stamp my feet
To this Unfair grounds and listen to
Gypsies in their rituals
Celebrate this earth’s wind and fire
to tribe’s colors wrestling for identity
in it’s sinking sand empire
to strings of so- la- ti- re (solitary) sounds
to Bedouins shedding virulent urban attire
shed. Shed , shed madness
And of course in third
Hear thee Chatter , stutter and mutter
yet don’t inquire..
Wide open to chances my desire..
To numeral equations, alas in failure
Corrupting awareness not acquired
My footprints stands innocent
Before all
Before all
I drop my share
My rice
My salt
even my smiles, my sails
In thy hands
And
Leave my prayers
To circle
Circle forever
In pirouettes  
In silhouettes
Even to those cheaters and liars….
Hear the soft singing
softly rises
Wish
Wish I can go higher

[This message has been edited by sylphid (edited 01-28-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 sylphid - All Rights Reserved
mark woolard
since 2001-01-02
Posts 143

1 posted 2001-01-28 07:50 PM

wow!  this is good!  first post?  excellent!

can't really give any technical advice here at the moment.  some things caught my eye, so i will return later and elaborate.

now, i fear, my brain is a knot of dough!
(good poem, though)

Welcome!

Lerk
since 2000-11-17
Posts 49
Dayton, OH USA
2 posted 2001-01-30 09:17 AM

my opinion on poems that have an unusual structure, like centered or made into a shape, have a responsibility to either be brief or utilize the structure to benefit the meaning of the poem. I think the structure here DOES benefit the poem, especially at the end, but the length makes me get tired of scanning the poem long before I ever get to the wonderful ending.

"A little folly now and then, is treasured by the wisest men" --Willy Wonka

mark woolard
since 2001-01-02
Posts 143

3 posted 2001-01-30 01:14 PM

ok. . .for my personal tastes, there are highs and lows here.  excellent use of recurring themes (salt and rice), and some nice, grab your attention descriptive language (crumbs of entities).

i guess my only complaints would be the structure (i can imagine this doing wonderful pirouettes of its own), and vagueness of content (which structural revision could clear up).

of course, i could just be completely missing the point within, relating to the themes in one way and totally missing the slant of vision necessary for total comprehension. . .what's the poem about?

sylphid
since 2001-01-23
Posts 30

4 posted 2001-01-30 03:26 PM

Lerk,
I was astonished to find out that you actually saw the movement in the lines,  mmmm,  I  tried to put down how I wanted them to sound…and if you were there listening to me writing , you would have found me dancing too, steps and turns, lifting alone the feeling in structure, and come on, Lerk there was only three pirouettes , and you thought it was long, if I were to compose dances, I would be swirling and twirling around as each word or thought comes out.. and bore you  to death..I hope I did not though..
sylph

Lerk
since 2000-11-17
Posts 49
Dayton, OH USA
5 posted 2001-01-30 03:45 PM

I was referring to the structure as becoming longish, not the content. I must not have explained that very well. I think unusual structures tend to make things hard to read, so they need to make some sort of sense or be brief. If the reader has to spend TOO much time scanning the lines mechanically instead of reading their content, then the meaning of the poem (which I had no problem with, btw) gets lost.
sylphid
since 2001-01-23
Posts 30

6 posted 2001-01-30 05:03 PM

Now ,Mark
First , I would like to thank you …and  hope that  your knot is loosened a bit by now, I hate to be the cause of a knot…I am not..
Second, It is wonderful to be left with the thought… that something I wrote caught your eyes, and for the possibility of a turn back…
And you did
Asking me
What’s the poem about..?

About me wanting to be up there…not dead but  in a form where I can give as much as I take,
drift in dreams and thoughts,  I was celebrating life  learning how to perform a dance, imagining for real I could be a sylph,if I keep wishing for it that much….and dance as much..

Sprinkling rice on someone in my country means you wish for them happiness ( in weddings)
And salt is to push away invidiousness (envy is an easier word, I had to look that up)   and they do it by holding a pinch of salt in one hand, reading some verses from the holy book, then spread it around.. after it heats up …nice …
For revision, revise where you want …
when you want....

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » free silhouettes any one?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary