navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Garden
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Garden Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road

0 posted 2000-09-10 08:01 AM

(Reposted from Open)

In each heart
is a door
which in childhood
is well oiled,
finely fashioned
sunlit by day,
sweetly shadowed
by night
the path to the door
is clear and bright
that in childhood
is open wide
As years flow on
the wood
stained by time
is blocked by ivys all around
that hide the shining light
and the path less travelled
lies hidden
weed covered

Once in a time
you find your way
by accident of dream
you find a crack
where light still shines
through which you creep
and find within

A Garden

All time there
within its walls
is changed
and all paths blur
going who knows where
only a mind's eye
takes you there
where the light shines
in mystic rhythms
of sleep

Dreamy shadows cross
perfect lawns
where you played unknown
at dawn
and objects stand in perfect form
reflecting thoughts,
or dreams that were

Here worlds within worlds
live, grow and die unseen
dark secrets played out
in convoluted labyrinths
of mysterious purpose
that echo in our dreams
shown only by the smiles
of unrevealed passions
below minds light
that are to us
only symbols of what was,
a lighthouse, a sunset,
twin stars in endless night

Tall conifers too
deep green and unfathomable dark
whisper in the aeolian wind
merging at senses end
with sounds of panpipes
at the edge of time

Wandering through deep grasses
we are caressed
by the bliss of forgetting,
in mazes of emotion lost
crying tears of joy and pain
at the dying of the light

And in the distance
the turqouise days
of far off summers
glint from rock pools
on an endless coast
gazing at the far horizon
God's brow, unfurrowed

Sensing a reflection
at the corner of mind's eye
a flicker of presence
that sparkles eternal
you stop
and hear of who you are
or were
or hoped for

In the days of youth
or in lost adulthood
or in dreams eternal
or at the moment of death
beckoning beyond the here
stands the door in your heart
to there
it stands open again
awakening the lost longing

for the garden

The inner voice calls
to the ancient green place
where wandering
you feel to be dreaming
and believing all is new
so far is childhood gone
and remembrance faded

Through the ancient park
and the thousand paths
in reverie walking
you find the high plateau
where the sundial waits
beside a peaceful pool

Peering through a maze of dreams
at reflections drifting
seeing lost moments
of lifes passing
sunshine and clouds and sunrising
the life you spent is leaving
and the pool is peaceful once more

And grasping God's sleeve
for anchor then
you glide through the pool
to a deeper dream

and swim then for an unseen shore

[This message has been edited by allan (edited 09-10-2000).]
© Copyright 2000 Allan Tierney - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2000-09-10 05:36 PM

I tried very very hard to find something about this to change, edit or correct, and all I could come up with is the word "turquoise"...

otherwise, it drew me in, up, enveloped me and I sincerely appreciated every line and every word...

Thank you!

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

2 posted 2000-09-11 03:18 AM

This was lovely...well-crafted and so full of beautiful imagery. I have no advice or suggestions...I was pulled in from the start.
I am one who believes that we should leave that door partially open, for the child within us allows us to experience more of the joys of life. As for the other section, I could feel the serenity, and see the gardens...I hope you're right.
Kris

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human
stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~
Albert Einstein

hawkat
since 2000-09-09
Posts 7

3 posted 2000-09-11 05:56 AM

What a beautiful poem and such fantastic imagery.Indeed I have to say it is the best I have read in recent times.I am very much a believer that there are large sections of our minds that are only accessible in sleep and altered states of consciousness and that these parts are a lot more pleasant to inhabit than reality-or maybe they are the reality.Wonderful and thankyou for the privilege of reading.Absolutely nothing to change.
allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
4 posted 2000-09-11 04:27 PM

Hello and thank you to you all. I am quite taken aback that there are no alterations forseen (apart from Turquoise)  

The influences behind this (to repeat myself from Open) were the very common near death experience of a beautiful garden, a couple of books I read in my teens called 'Phantastes' and 'Lilith' by George MacDonald, John Fowles 'The Magus' (a big favourite of mine) and the computer game 'Myst'

Thank you again for taking a look and for your more than kind comments!

(I'm sure there MUST be some alterations needed though, no...? I really am taken aback at that...)  

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
5 posted 2000-09-15 12:19 PM

For a poem that shoots for intimacy and interiority, why am I so struck by the distance of the tone. It's far too long (probably think you could drop the whole door section and probably the innocent children routine as well). Instead of explaining so much (mind, soul, inside, cracks), show us the garden as it is (where are the bugs by the way). You have some nice lines here and there but I think you're trying to be a little to 'poetic' here rather than writing a poem.

Just an opinion,
Brad

allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
6 posted 2000-09-16 01:27 PM

Well Brad thanks, I certainly asked for and got it!  

I can see I'd be left with a garden after I'd made your amendments but it wasn't what I was reaching for. (Even though I hadn't a clear concept in my mind [perhaps the problem!] I went with my feelings.

I know if it was a real garden it would have "negatives" such as bugs but it wasn't a real garden I was describing.

I agree with some of your points, your tone does rankle a bit I must admit ("innocent children routine").

I agree however that it is too long.

Thanks for taking the time to look it over and giving your opinion. You have to take the rough with the smooth here in Critical Analysis I know...

All points duely noted....  

Thanks,

Allan

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
7 posted 2000-09-17 03:16 AM

I wasn't intending to rankle of course. I didn't even think about it really.

You've got a poem here that will some will love for its 'beauty' and others will damn for exactly the same thing. I tend to side with the damning group because I believe adamantly that a poem should create some type of dramatic tension. I believe in complexity even in poems so dedicated to fantasy as this one.

I think it makes for a more satisfying aesthetic experience.

Just an opinion,
Brad

allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
8 posted 2000-09-17 10:29 AM

I understand Brad, thanks.

I think I am rather stuck with my way of creating which is in a somewhat non-cerebral manner. I tend to steer clear of Critical Analysis for this reason, knowing that allowing as free a flow as possible of mental images and the production of a tightly written poem don't mix well together.

I agree about the dramatic tension btw. We went to an open air poetry reading here in Vienna yesterday and the lack or presence of this tension was pivotal to the enjoyment of the poems...

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2000-09-17 06:39 PM

You make an interesting point about free flow and 'tightness'. In an interview, John Ashbery encourages writers to work from line to line without an overall thematic schema to follow. This creates, in his words, the potential for something new to be created through word association and whatnot rather than letting the theme dicate the word choice. I wonder if this allows or could allow a kind of renegotiation of the problems you mentioned.

Just an idea,
Brad

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
10 posted 2000-09-18 10:27 AM

Allan, I just wanted to point out that even here in CA we have those who will love this poem for its beauty and those who will damn it, for the same reason (as mentioned above). So don't let that keep you away  

Pete

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 09-18-2000).]

allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
11 posted 2000-09-18 12:49 PM

Brad, I've been reading and re-reading your last post and I realise the problem is an obstinate one.

A few years ago after a couple of years of unemployment and daily soft drug use I realised that something had altered in my head. It had become extremely resistant to analytic thought and had moved mightily over to the almost purely visual. Reading became quite excrutiating, especially if it was business-oriented or logic-based.

I have written pieces that I did go through line by line but I find I can start feel quite heavy and lose the "feeling" or "image patterm" of what I wanted to convey. The way most of what I do comes out is through a process of actively trying to holding back logic so it's rather a painful process to go and take a hammer and chisel to these pink mists, so to speak...

Nevertheless (and to stop drifting) I'll re-read again and let transfer what will ...

Thank you..  

allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
12 posted 2000-09-18 12:52 PM

Pete, Thanks very much for your words. Okay, I'll be back sometime, on one of these full moons maybe!  
lotharingia
since 2000-06-04
Posts 897
saarbruecken, Germany
13 posted 2000-09-19 02:44 PM

allan,

I agree that the poem is a tad too long, but I also think that you should keep your poetry flowing like you do. Some people prefer an intellectual approach, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it is not the ONLY way to write! There is a lot of life in your poetry, and wouldn't it be oh-so-tedious if everyone wrote the same way!

Lotharingia
"Dreams are life, reality, creation" Miguel de Unanumo

allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
14 posted 2000-09-19 03:42 PM

Thanks Uta!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Garden

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary