navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » no title ( a completely FICTIONAL account)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic no title ( a completely FICTIONAL account) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us

0 posted 1999-09-18 01:43 AM

how dare you touch me with your hands
can't you see that i can't move away
i'm afraid you won't like me if i do
so i just sit and look at you
i thought it was okay to let you in
couldn't hurt if i saw you again
but i was a child at the time
you made me think that all the guilt was mine
did you smile when i would shake
take all my innocence all you can take
"don't tell a soul" were the words you said
and you took my toys and bruised my head
i never meant to make you mad
can't you see that i loved you dad
it was wrong don't you understand
i was a little girl you were a man
it was bad don't you know
i was a good girl, i was so
wake me up it's just a dream
tear my throat with an incest scream
damn it daddy why are doing this to me
tell me how quiet i am to be
it was wrong, don't you understand
i was a little girl, you were a man

as i said, this is completely fictional, just trying to see if i could portray those same feelings that anybody who had that unfortunate thing happen to. criticizism welcomed.

------------------
"Come night, come darkness, for you cannot come too soon or stay too long in such a place as this." Charles Dickens

roxane

© Copyright 1999 roxane - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 1999-09-26 08:59 AM

Roxane, this is one of my few attempts at critical analysis so bear with me. There are some things you should know about me - I am not a scholar of poetic form so I won't be telling you your meter is off. I personally prefer capitalization in poetry where necessary but will not mention that in your poem as it seems to be your style.

What I do know is the way a poem feels, so perhaps I'll stick with what I know in my reply. I found this very sad, but it didn't reach my heart totally. The line about the toys threw me off - I was confused if this was an abuse or incest situation. Later, you used the word incest, which I don't think a young child would know and as you've written it from the perspective of a child, it seems out of place.

The rhyme didn't get off in the first few lines and the words used at the end of the lines are oft used words - I have a couple of rhyming dictionaries that I use when searching for a word that could be a little different from the norm. Or if you look in Announcements Forum you will find a link to a web site that offers rhyming words.

I am so glad this didn't happen to you! I admire what you've done here - perhaps it will touch a responsive chord for someone who has been abused and be helpful to them.

Thank you!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » no title ( a completely FICTIONAL account)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary