navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Perfect
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Perfect Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Angel
since 1999-07-02
Posts 551
Pennsylvania

0 posted 1999-09-02 11:41 PM

Still working on it, but I think it as least a little better, don't you???

I love you more, than you could ever know
Know you better than anyone at all
All the guys mean nothing compared to you
You are the one I love forever and longer
Longer than eternity I will be your friend
Friend, and a confidant, your partner in life
Life is special and perfect with you here
Here in my life you always need to stay
Stay this way forever like I know you will
Will make me happy and I will always try
Try to make you happy and love you
You made my world a happy and loving
Loving and serene as I hope it will always be
Be the angel that guards me from all danger
Danger from all evil, you keep me safe,
Safe and protected, you care for me sweetly
Sweetly perfect as you always will be
Be mine for ever and I will keep you happy
Happy we found each other, you and I.

------------------
People who throw kisses are hopelessly lazy.
-Bob Hope

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 09-11-99).]

© Copyright 1999 Susan Acacio - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 1999-09-07 08:14 PM

What do you mean by 'right'? If it works for you, who cares what other people think? If it works for someone else, it doesn't mean it's 'right' either -- it means someone else liked it.

Maybe that comes off wrong. Rather, I don't understand what you mean by that statement.

Personal feelings on this poem:

It's too vague to get a clear idea of what you're trying to potray. Is it religious? Is it about a boyfriend? Is it the portrayal of a self centered person who literally cares nothing about the person she is talking about? It's fairly clear that the speaker is feminine. Is this a case of misdirection?

You have no images of the person you're talking about except that he is perfect and that he should never change. From my point of view, a very strange basis for a relationship (of course, I see change as inevitable and an interesting part of any relationship). If your partner is perfect, how can he change?

If your partner is perfect, why do you keep telling him what to do or not to do?

I see no action, no giving, on part of the
speaker. If this is sincere, show us what you do for him. If this is a portrayal of a self centered woman, it works fine (I still want more detail though).

If this is sincere, I wouldn't presume to judge your relationship (Boy, that would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it?). If this is a character portrayal, it's done well but I still would like more concrete images: show us how this relationship works together.

Drop the title. It reminds me of some of the ludicrous lines in 'The Fifth Element'.

Just my opinion,
Brad

Angel
since 1999-07-02
Posts 551
Pennsylvania
2 posted 1999-09-07 08:29 PM

Point very, very well taken. I think the problem with this one is I really didn't know where I wanted to go with it. It is definitely supposed to be about our relationship and I really understand what you are saying. I really wasn't thinking when I wrote it, it was very late at night. I plan to revise it and edit my post so check back and tell me what you think.

------------------
People who throw kisses are hopelessly lazy.
-Bob Hope

TheCandyMan_1
since 1999-08-28
Posts 38
NY
3 posted 1999-09-07 11:41 PM

Angel-
I won't go into the same comments already given above... Nicely worded by Brad I think the question you were originally asking was, "Is the style and formatting right?". With the last word of each line becoming the first of the next. I like that style actually. I think you did a marvelous job of keeping that going throughout the poem...it is hard to do. But content is most important. Give us those feelings mixed with background...and excellence will be found. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Perfect

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary