navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Two lovers, finding danger in every place, but that which they call their own........
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Two lovers, finding danger in every place, but that which they call their own........ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brandondinsmore
since 1999-10-27
Posts 142
OKC, OK

0 posted 2000-05-01 10:53 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
october's juniper has
fallen, measured, down to me,
a swirl's trajectory; dismally
i stared, and conspired with
the blanketing ground.
to interject, and be-snatch you...
i see a swimming, composing
swift waves, doppleganger.
burning trees around
alter-egos seeking shaded
congruency.
faux.  strike a mistake.
indigo gel melts
with a dripping sky
and air cuts my ear,
resounds

do some gracefulness
with, as i, myself, your's
to fall forever, ever
fading and falling,
severed, staining cryptic
photochrome.
pinch the Moabittess in
folds of hazy cellophane
plus the fogging of our
serene scape; a sudden flash...
an other-worldly minute, please.
bring into future the
appeased past.
huff.  the planets move.

sweet fall.  descent; swing low
grasp my grasp your grasping my
grasp.
air clears and sky awaits
us, to ascend our descent
liquid covers frosty film
beg.  transparency:  open
curtains faded, enter
step into still frame
remove lost acquaintance
strike a gesture, then
a pose.  how milky.  white
and serenely soft.  i swim.

© Copyright 2000 Rounder - All Rights Reserved
jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
1 posted 2000-05-01 07:23 PM

brandon--

you have some really beautiful, startling, arresting images here, i really liked this piece, and the poem's "voice" is simply wonderful.  i would say i'd dearly love to see this photograph of the falling juniper, but then, in a way, i guess i have through your piece.  

very well done!

jenni

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
2 posted 2000-05-01 07:40 PM

oh, i agree.  just lovely lovely images, and i like the stilted way is presented.  

only, i dont like that line where you say grasp four times, maybe 2 times would be good, but i think 4 is pushing.  

only other thing, you might consider braking up into more stanzas.  to give line numbers (cuz i got carried away with this   )

i would put stanza breaks after lines 6, 11, 22, 35.  just my two cents (im making myself broke this way)
luv Elyse

rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

3 posted 2000-05-01 07:44 PM

really enjoyed the jilt of the structre here. gave great weight to the images, don't really know any other things that could be improved.well done
bboog
since 2000-02-29
Posts 303
Valencia, California
4 posted 2000-05-01 08:44 PM

Brandon~
  You have some lovely, original images here. I would suggest that you clip a few of them, however. Start with the title. Perhaps rename it: "To Dangerous Places, Two Lovers".
(Or something even more concise.)
  I think that the poem really gets going at the lines: i see a swimming, composing
swift waves, doppleganger.
   I suggest that you start the poem there, but that's my humble opinion. Also, the lines that I didn't care for were these: strike a gesture, then
a pose.
  It reminded me of a Madonna song and they didn't seem necessary.
  You have a beautiful ending. Now just work on the begining.(and title)
best regards,
bboog

brandondinsmore
since 1999-10-27
Posts 142
OKC, OK
5 posted 2000-05-01 09:16 PM

Most duly noted everyone...Thanks for the input; I shall commence revision immediately.
As for the deletion of lines -greatly appreciated.  I have wnated this kind of help from the main forum, but found it only in here...Once again, thanks.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
6 posted 2000-05-01 09:50 PM

Brandon:

This is quality work.  If you read some of my replies to other posts you will see that I rarely have no suggestions for improvement to offer and I think this is one of those rare times.  So I will point out what it is about this poem that works so well with me.

I thought one of the great strengths of this poem, besides those mentioned previously (images, wording, beauty, etc.) is your command of the structure.  I find that many are tempted to end thoughts or phrases at the ends of lines but you continue your thoughts, smoothly, from one line to the next, enjambing your lines often.  I don't often see this done as well as you've done it in this poem.

There are also hints of some rhyme (internal and end, not always perfect) but no discernible rhyme scheme.  You also hit the alliteration pretty often (but not too often).  Your meter was obviously deliberate and this complimented those hints of rhyme well.  I am actually glad that you didn't chose to go with a tight rhyme scheme because of the length of most of your lines.  I find that the rhymes often take over the lines in these instances.

Thanks for the read, Brandon.  I enjoyed it.

Jim

P.S.  Okay, there was one thing but I suppose it is sort of cheating because it was already mentioned.  The "grasp" line reads much faster than the surrounding lines.  By having the grasp lines written the way they are, it has an effect of reading slow/fast/slow.  If this is the effect you wanted then I suggest you keep it in.  If you wanted to slow the action down a bit I would suggest a few word changes.  Later.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Two lovers, finding danger in every place, but that which they call their own........

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary