navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Character sketch inspired by true story
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Character sketch inspired by true story Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda

0 posted 2000-03-21 08:54 PM

I saw this documentary on this teenager who killed his mum, after years of her abusing him, verbally and physically, and i was just struck at how normal the kid was.  His sister and father forgave him for it as if it was an inevitability.  Really weird, but the guy who did it just totally inspired me, so the following are his emotions when it happened, after years of restraint and taking it, he lashes out once, and ends up killing his mum.  He was charged with 2nd degree murder, and is in jail, but is a normal guy, i mean he comes from an upper middle class family, comes off as a loving brother and son without a bad bone in him.  Just one moment where he lashed out, he committed a crime as a result of his repression.  So he was feeling relief and anguish almost interchangeably, as he described it.  Anyway, enough preliminaries, hope there is something.

Mum
Stop it
Okay
I know…
Yeh, but
Stop it
I can’t do this
Mum
I can’t
JUST LEAVE ME
LEAVE ME ALONE

I wasn’t yelling
It was just
Wait..no
Stop it
Ow
That hurts
Enough
Get away from me
I can’t do this
Anymore
I’ve had it
Just maybe
If we think about it
You know
Spend some time away

I’m leaving
I have to
Don’t
Stop it
I can’t Mum
Why are you doing this
Leave me alone
Just
LEAVE ME ALONE
Please
Mum
…..
Please
Ju
Just..enough
Enough
Okay
OKAY
No…
MUM
I CAN
I CAN’T DO THIS..

**** OFF
(oh my god)
(oh my f#% god)
(Jesus mum)
(I’m sorry)
(what am I going to tell the cops)
(It was an accident)
It didn’t have to be this way
DAMMIT MUM
Why.
Why did you hit me
I couldn’t
Not anymore
I couldn’t
I’m sorry
I just couldn’t
Do this anymore
Its over Mum
Its over
Enough..

(breathe)
(breathe)
(breathe)
(relax she’s gone)
(She’s gone)
(Yes! she’s gone)
(SHE’S GONE!)
(Oh my god she’s gone)
DAMMIT MUM
DAMMIT MUMMM…..

© Copyright 2000 patchoulipumpkin - All Rights Reserved
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

1 posted 2000-03-22 12:29 PM

Marc,

Very emotional...well-done! The format added to the building tension right along with the words. Repressed feelings are the cause for many, many incidents of violence, though most don't end as this one did. You've shown how they can sit in the subconscious like a time-bomb, needing just the right spark to set them off. Very nice work, Marc,

Kris

the poet's pen...gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name ~ Shakespeare

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
2 posted 2000-03-22 01:20 PM

WOW.

I got very wrapped up in this patch. It plays true. Even without the prologue, which I deeply appreciated, the repression and anger, the consequence rang very true.

Perhap (and this is a humble suggestion)
you could work the opening into a poem. A separate work...a story. Perhaps not. It's an idea.

Your poem and play of the emotion is extremely powerful on its own.

Great Work Poet.

patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda
3 posted 2000-03-22 01:35 PM

Thank you both so much for your positive feedback.  I wasn't sure if it would be too much to handle, because of the subject.  Normally I'm not interested in something such as this but if you could have just seen this teenager, i don't know, he just seemed so normal and kind, and loving.  Just an interesting study.

Haze, yeh its a good idea to write a separate poem, there are so many facets to something like this, that i just might give it a shot.  I just find the teenager so damn interesting, that i'll probably work on him some more.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Marc

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
4 posted 2000-03-23 09:43 PM

Marc:

I agree with the lovely and talented poets, Kris and Haze, that this is good work.  Some might argue that the wording is a little flat but I think this added to the realism of the boy's thoughts.  Who REALLY thinks in "poetic" language anyway?     Seriously, your format and wording kept the poem moving and it kept me interested.  Hey ... that is quite the challenge in these distracted days of mine.    Have you tried writing a sonnet yet, btw?  Just curious.

Jim

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
5 posted 2000-03-23 10:12 PM

Marc
I was captivated from top to bottom. I thought the format fit the poem. It was not objectional material since it was so well done. The dialogue and thoughts were so realistic, I found myself breathing those breaths. You captured the emotions of the moment.
Superb, in my book
Liz

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Character sketch inspired by true story

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary