navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » For Loss or Gain
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic For Loss or Gain Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
captaincargo
since 1999-11-25
Posts 109
Corning, N.Y. U.S.A.

0 posted 2000-02-22 09:42 PM

My wretched soul I knew,
When drowning in the depths of love, or lust.
And remembrance of virgin hearts of gold,
Among the boles of loves forrest.
My wretched soul I knew.

A sea of passion, my soul.
And I with little need to drink,
or walk the woods that show no hint of green
Nor seek the needles to stich it whole.
My wretched soul I knew.

As the thirsty earth soaks up the rain,
What was of me flows to the brink
And goes the way of all lifes streams.
A hundred years from now what grew?
My wretched soul I knew.

Cap.

Cap. Carg.

© Copyright 2000 captaincargo - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-02-23 12:38 PM

Cap:

I like the "sound" of this one but a clear understanding of the meaning escapes me.  Let's take a closer look at it anyway, shall we?

"My wretched soul I knew,
When drowning in the depths of love, or lust.
And remembrance of virgin hearts of gold,
Among the boles of loves forrest.
My wretched soul I knew."

I think you use "soul" differently throughout this piece than I usually see it used in more "cliched" contexts.  I think you should lose the period after "lust".  It causes too much of a pause, I think.  Also "loves" should be "love's" possessive and "forest" has one "r" unless you are referring to Forrest Gump.    I liked how you made "My retched soul I knew" part of the first sentence.  I think if you want to keep its repetition at the end of the stanza you may want to consider tying it in to the previous sentence, rather than making it a simple sentence on its own.

"A sea of passion, my soul.
And I with little need to drink,
or walk the woods that show no hint of green
Nor seek the needles to stich it whole.
My wretched soul I knew."

I like the imagery in this stanza.  I think you might want to use a different word than "passion" if you are going to use it with "sea".  Passion is one of those "overdone" words that, I think, can be used effectively but if it is used with another common image it comes across as a little flat.  You've mispelled "stitch" and if you use the word "nor", it should be coupled with "neither".  Consider "... or walk the woods that neither show a hint of green / Nor seek the needles to stich it whole."  Just a suggestion.

"As the thirsty earth soaks up the rain,
What was of me flows to the brink
And goes the way of all lifes streams.
A hundred years from now what grew?
My wretched soul I knew.

I liked this last stanza.  This sounds to me to be a lament of lost love.  Your wording and tone, I think, is, for the most part, solid and full of imagery.  My final, relatively minor suggestion would be to (1) correct the grammatical errors (those are easy), (2) try to avoid common/cliched uses of a few words, and (3) work on you punctuation in order to improve the smoothness of the read.  

I really liked this poem.  It was a very interesting read.  Thanks.

Jim

dbarbera
since 2000-02-22
Posts 8
Dallas, TX USA
2 posted 2000-02-24 07:23 AM

I read a lot of things into this one and maybe none of them were valid--I saw a sexual imagery through the "forest" and speaking of "life", especially tied in with the word passion which commonly evokes sexual imagery which is severely limiting--I liked the rhythm of the poem but I'm not sure if I understood--it seemed vague--but I could also just be dense.
captaincargo
since 1999-11-25
Posts 109
Corning, N.Y. U.S.A.
3 posted 2000-02-25 03:28 PM

JB: Thanks for helping me out with this one. Sadly once again I let my impatience get the best of me when I get an idea.

I sat down and wrote this in fifteen or twenty minutes and didn't "bother/take the time" to edit it. I don't know if anyone else gets this "mental spillage" too. Sometimes I just let in fall on the floor without wiping it up. This one meant something to me "I guess", or it would be a stain right now.

If I could only find a world with 36 hours in the day.

Cap.

PS: dbarbera: You are in the right ballpark, it "is" about sex.

Cap. Carg.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » For Loss or Gain

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary