navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » This Week's Moderators' Choice: "A Lone Dinghy" by Wendy Flora
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic This Week's Moderators' Choice: "A Lone Dinghy" by Wendy Flora Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash

0 posted 2000-02-21 11:17 AM

Congratulations Wendy!  The spotlight's on your poem this week.  The feedback on last week's Moderators' Choice pilot prompted us to keep this idea going for a while.  For those of you who missed last week's pilot, the Moderators' Choice is a weekly selection of a member's poem, made by your CA Moderators in order to further encourage discussion about that poet's particular poem.  This is still a new "thing" here so input/insight/whatever is much appreciated. Enjoy, everyone.

I saw it
The afternoon following a stormy morn
A small dinghy bobbing in the gently rolling surf.
Unmanned -
Demanned, more likely.
And my thoughts began to surmise what exactly
Had caused her to be out traversing the waves alone.
And I pictured a lonely old fisherman
Rising before the sun in a small shanty on the beach,
Brewing his bitter coffee in a battered metal pot,
Bidding goodbye to Mrs. Fisherman,
taking care
Not to catch the door to the shanty in his net
Before having a chance at the fish.
He pushes the small boat out to sea, carefully watching
The sky for signs of distress, maybe missing that
Small, black front just behind the hill.
He tosses his net, drags, brings in a small fortune
In shining scales.  Suddenly, he notices
The sky is a little too dark, the air a little too heavy,
The shore a little too far...
And down he goes.  Hello to Captain Nemo,
Davey Jones, and Blackbeard...
The fish are elated to find one less fisherman,
And I lament to find one lone dinghy,
Bobbing in the gently rolling surf.

© Copyright 2000 Jim Bouder - All Rights Reserved
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

1 posted 2000-02-21 06:56 PM

Hi Wen,

Firstly, I'd like to say that, as you know, I critiqued this poem when it was posted initially...and I was much too picky, and I was wrong. In rereading slowly, I now see that, exactly as you said, it was your mind's story, and, therefore, it does not have to make perfect sense, or be consistent with reality. What poem really does??!!

So, then all you have to worry about is how you tell the story, and since I have already offered my advice on this, I will just say that I apologize if I seemed too harsh the first time. You're a good writer, Wendy.

Kristine

there's a hell of a good universe next door;lets go ~ e. e. cummings

gofor42
since 2000-01-23
Posts 143
Arkansas
2 posted 2000-02-22 12:26 PM

Wen,
  I've always liked this piece.  It really is one of the better that you've written, in my opinion.  Love ya lots.

"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing."
--Kingsley Amis

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
3 posted 2000-02-22 01:48 PM

one thing that's always troubled me about this poem is its uneven tone or "voice".  on the one hand, the imagined story of a lonely old man, who lived a simple life of quiet dignity, worked hard, battled what life had in store for him, had some small measure of success, only to pass from this world unseen, leaving behind only a dinghy forlornly bobbing in the gently rolling surf, really has the potential to give some depth and significance to both the poem's subject matter -- the dinghy -- as well as to the speaker's imagination.  in the, end, though, i don't think it does, because the imagined story itself gives no depth to it's main character.  both the beginning and the end of the "lonely old fisherman's" final journey are treated almost as a joke, in a jarring, flippant tone.  he waves goodbye to "mrs. fisherman"????  oh, come ON.  and the climax of what appears to be, from the preceding lines (except the "mrs. fisherman" bit), a simple, quietly powerful story is: "And down he goes.  Hello to Captain Nemo, / Davey Jones, and Blackbeard"???  those lines, and the following (the rather awkwardly phrased "the fish are elated to find one less fisherman") say (to me, at least) "isn't this such a cute little story i'm making up!"  that's fine, i guess (although i'd have to say, 'what's the point then?"'), but so much of the rest of the poem seems to want to be taken seriously.  well, which is it?  a cute little light-hearted piece, or an imaginative work of contemplation?  in my opinion, it doesn't quite work as either.  there are a lot of great parts to this poem; the first ten lines are really good, and the last two bring it back quite nicely to its beginning.  but i think it would be more effective with a consistent tone throughout.  

just my opinion, of course.  

jenni

Lil OnE
since 1999-12-14
Posts 234
Pasco County. Fl.
4 posted 2000-02-22 02:11 PM

Wen... I just wanted to let you know that I really liked this piece. It's imaginative. It is kinda confusing at first, but if you go back and read it again, it's actually quite wonderful. If it's what your mind brought to you... go with it!!!!

You don't know me, but you don't like me.
You say you could care less how I feel.
But how many of you who sit and judge me
have ever walked the streets in my shoes?-Korn
~Lil OnE~

carolyn smale
since 2000-02-02
Posts 20
australia
5 posted 2000-02-23 07:49 AM

ditch "morn", "jones", "nemo", "blackbeard" and "mrs fisherman" for a start.

then maybe try to add some original thoughts - who hasn't thought, for a few seconds, the things you're saying when they see a boat like this? but why write about it? what are you telling us?

thanks, carolyn.

Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
6 posted 2000-02-23 09:47 PM

Congradulation on having your poem picked! I think it is a very interesting one, and I am by no means the qualified critic.  This is the version I came up with, take it or leave it, or maybe get some ideas from it.

I saw it
In afternoon
Following a
Stormy morn

Unmanned
Demanned, more likely
And I wondered exactly
What had caused her to be
Traversing the waves alone.

I pictured a lonely old fisherman
Rising before the sun
From a small shanty on the beach
After brewing his bitter coffee
In a battered metal pot
Then bidding goodby to the Mrs.
Taking care not to catch the net
On the shanty door.

Pushing the small boat out to sea
He carefully watches the sky
For sign of distress
Tossing his net
Dragging
Bringing in a small fortune
In shinning scales
Glancing upward
He notices a sky
A little too dark
Feels the air a little too heavy
The shore, a little too far
His future a little too bleak

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » This Week's Moderators' Choice: "A Lone Dinghy" by Wendy Flora

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary