navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » “JP”
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic “JP” Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere

0 posted 2017-07-29 06:44 AM

I’ll never forget the first time I saw “JP”.
He looked a little bit like a pot-belly pig
that sunny morning in the grassy pen
with the other dogs at the shelter.
He came to me when I called to him.
When I hefted him on to my lap,
he laid his head on my shoulder
as if to say, “Please love me.”
I was smitten by the eleven year old,
ten pound over weight gray schnauzer.
There was no question,
he was coming home with me.
It didn’t take long to figure out that “JP”
was a name he didn’t care for or come to.
My daughter said, “He looks like a Winston.”
And he most certainly did too.
He quickly responded to the name,
so I presumed it met with his approval.
We learned quite a bit about the old man,
like how he loves to ride in the car,
he can spot a McDonalds from a block away.
And how the rumpling of a paper bag
can bring him a running.
Thunder storms turn him into
a panting vibrator.
He is prone to flatulence.
He tolerates my hugs, kisses and baby talk
and can’t get enough of my “lubbin’s”
(scratching all the sweet spots)
He doesn’t mind when I call him Winky Doo.
He has me wrapped around his little paw.
LGR©7/29/17

© Copyright 2017 Lori Grosser Rhoden - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2017-07-29 07:46 AM

Ahhh . . . And I thought JP stood for JerryPat. Heh.Heh

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2017-07-29 12:04 PM

Just kidding, Lori.

Cerulean
Posts 109

3 posted 2017-07-29 05:53 PM

I think JerryPat2 is an improved clone version of "JP" who is prone to flatulence, otherwise his name wouldn't be JP2!
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
4 posted 2017-07-29 07:22 PM

Of course you were just kidding Jerry. I wondered if that title might raise your eyebrows. ~L
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
5 posted 2017-07-29 07:25 PM

That's pretty funny Cerulean.
thanks for the chuckle. ~L

Cerulean
Posts 109

6 posted 2017-07-29 07:31 PM

So was I, in case Jerry or anyone wondered!  

P.S. Lori, you typed another message and beat me to it  

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
7 posted 2017-07-29 08:05 PM

Yes, Lori, it did raise my eyebrows.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
8 posted 2017-07-29 09:52 PM

And Cerulean, Lori might have approved of your whimsy. I didn't.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
9 posted 2017-07-29 10:18 PM

Everyone has had a merry old time at the expense of moi.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
10 posted 2017-07-29 10:31 PM

I understand that you, Lori, can have your fun with me, I would have been just fine with it, but your new playmate I thought more highly of you to think you would allow him in the game.

Cerulean
Posts 109

11 posted 2017-07-30 03:25 AM

"And Cerulean, Lori might have approved of your whimsy. I didn't."

Jerry- Ok. Being someone who looks at things in mathematical terms of probability, the odds tells me that the above sentence in a single reply, without other sentences in the reply, was not made in jest, but in hostility.

Let me gently assure you that my joke was not directed at you as a person. I do appreciate who you are, based on your works and comments I've read so far. I think you're brilliant. I was hoping to see that you could actually take a little joke from someone you barely know. Please do not take my joke personally.  

Re: "allow him in the game"... one thing we should think about is this: how many people regularly post here nowadays? Do you wish to drive away newcomers with clique ways of thinking?

The other thing is: the PIP forums used to be my old home. It's so different now. The active members, the overall atmosphere, has changed... it's much quieter... in fact, all I have are treasured memories. Everyone I knew has pretty much left (e.g., DreamEvil, Isis, Paul Allen Lupien, Severn, Christopher, doreen peri, WhtDove, RainbowGirl, Elizabeth (who's listed as a moderator but rarely active, it seems), poetFemmeFatale, Balladeer, and so many others including the new faces that always popped up) who used to be here.

Above all, I miss those who were fans of my work and liked to follow my writings (that especially goes for Isis). So you (Jerry) and everyone of today's much smaller (but still lovely) community would be doing me a favor by not being so quick to exclude me, someone who used to be an active member. Even for the occasional joke at your expense, which I was also on the receiving end back then. Do you understand?

Come to think of it, friend... why else do you think, the other day, I looked at a thread called "Who do you miss?" I was actually wondering if anyone asked about me. No one did, but that's ok. No one seems to have asked about others like DreamEvil either. Balladeer once stated about DreamEvil's poem "The Last Song of Orpheus" that he doubted there'll ever be a better poem (Balladeer's included) on PIP. Your Quintessence poem series, so far, is about on par with the quality of that poem by DreamEvil, imo. While looking at the "Who do you miss?" thread, I even discovered that someone mentioned missing you in action, and quickly informed you of that, giving you a link directly to that thread. But that's besides the point. The point is: don't judge a book (me or anyone else) by its cover.

Granted, my joke probably wasn't a good idea. It happened before you knew me better. But I couldn't resist since I saw a clever association. I'll do my best to not do that again to you. Unless you give your approval, which is clearly needed. However, let's be friends. Ok?

(Lori, I'm sorry to semi-hijack your thread with a verbose reply. I'll leave it at that. Thanks for taking my humor for the friendly jest it was meant to be.)

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
12 posted 2017-07-30 05:25 AM

You are getting very thin skinned in your old age Jerry, and it is not very becoming.~L
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
13 posted 2017-07-30 05:33 AM

Cerulean,
Sorry you rubbed up against that side of Jerry. He has his moments. I think you stated your case well. ~L

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
14 posted 2017-07-30 11:30 AM

I really love stories like this...love at first sight and the special bond we have with our pets.  Your writing is a joy and makes me happy Lori.

Jerry Pat...put on your big boy pants. I mean we all have issues big and small.  Sweating the small stuff is a waste of time, time you can never get back, time you could have spent loving and living life more fully.  Let it go.

Cerulean
Posts 109

15 posted 2017-07-30 03:40 PM

Lori- I understand and thanks.

I haven't yet commented on the poem itself. It reminds me of when I used to live with a roommate who had two dogs. They did similar funny things, but were usually sweethearts.

I can't imagine Earth without animals. They have their own ways of balancing the scale when it comes to love (by softing our hearts) vs the destructive ways of man.

Anyway- your poem was much enjoyed.

Poet In Pink
Posts 1066
MI
16 posted 2017-07-30 08:06 PM

Hello Lori Belle A delightful little poem ~ I was giggling all the way through as I read how you treat your dog ~ It sounded like me!!!  Baby talk and all!!!  ha ha  We are such suckers   Much enjoyed ~ Alana
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » “JP”

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary