navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » The Gypsy’s Curse
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Gypsy’s Curse Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Cari
Posts 411
Englnand

0 posted 2016-06-03 04:23 AM

The Gypsy’s Curse.
The little village of Frensham lay in a comforting fold in the South Downs. June wanted just two days to reach her zenith of midsummer.
Miss Price straightened a little painfully from her garden tiding allowing herself a small smile of contentment at the old English roses with their cupped petals fully open, drinking the warmth of afternoon sun.
“Misses”
Miss Price turned; a gipsy woman was leaning over the little white gate.
“Buy something from a gipsy lady, it ull bring you luck” she pointed to the wicker basket on her arm.
Miss Price inspected the basket’s contents; ribbons, sprigs of heather wrapped in aluminium foil, a few clothes pegs.
“Yes, I’ll have that roll of scarlet ribbon please, how much is it?”
“Ten shilling”
She opened her old leather purse.
“There you are”
“Read your fortune for a fiver?”
Miss Price smiled
“No I don’t think so my dear. I’m turned seventy and I’m content with whatever the good lord has in store for me”
“Ah now don’t you go upsetting a gipsy lady, or it’s likely to go very bad for you”
“Bad for me?”
“We have the power you see, never heard of the gypsy curse?”
Miss Price shook her head.
“No, and I’m sorry but I don’t want my fortune read”
“Be it on your own head then you old cow, you’ll never pass water for a month”
“Really, well good afternoon”.

For Mirela it had been an unprofitable day, she winced as she thought of what Lucian would say. The old van was parked opposite the Brown Bear; a swarthy man with the obligatory bangle earring was leaning on the door smoking a cigarette. Mirela approached nervously.
“Good God woman”
“I’m sorry Lucian, I’m sorry; there’s no trade here at all”
“Bugger the trade, what the hells happened to your face?”
“What?”
“Here, look in the van mirror”
Mirela bent down her mouth opened but no sound came. The face that looked back at her
was covered in black warts, even as she looked another popped out on the tip of her nose it was then she found her voice with a scream that set the village dogs barking and woke the vicar from his afternoon siesta.

Miss Price poured the creamy milk into the large saucer and set it down on the oak floor.
The black cat ignored the milk looking up at her with inquiring jade eyes.
“Now I won’t have your scolding Malkin, they will all be gone by morning. Yes it was rather naughty but the thought of a gypsy presuming on a witch of the Second Meridian, well. Now drink your milk like a good cat or there will be no midnight ride for you tonight.”

© Copyright 2016 Cari - All Rights Reserved
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
1 posted 2016-06-03 08:02 PM

Delightful and very well-written.  I love the dénouement!  

Owl

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
2 posted 2016-06-04 04:31 PM

Cari,
Very interesting read, almost like a spooky tale spun around halloween time.  

Enjoyed the adventure.

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » The Gypsy’s Curse

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary