navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Behind a Closet Door
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Behind a Closet Door Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere

0 posted 2015-09-27 09:56 AM

Tomorrow is another day I must wake up…
Others need me to.
They love me
I know
So here I go
grinding through it again
for them.
As for myself,
I’m weary.
I can’t quite seem to look forward
beyond one foot in front of the other.
My smiles and laughter short-lived
by a sadness that comes after.
The pain in my heart
long gone from my sleeve
abides in my body now.
The will to get better
is just another guilt
with which I am fettered.
All my medication
is just an indication
of how broken I am.
And if this is what it means to be stable
then I guess I’d rather be able
to feel worse by far
if only to experience my old self again
at the top of my spectrum;
to breathe the air of expectation,
to see the light of elation
in my eyes once more.
My hope is waning.
I often see myself feeling
like a balloon that is deflating,
slowly shriveling  away
behind a closet door.

LGR©9/27/15

© Copyright 2015 Lori Grosser Rhoden - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2015-09-27 10:16 AM

Excuse me all to hell . . . Yep. Sit on your pity pot and have fun feeling sorry for yourself.

~*~ When they give you ruled paper write sideways. ~*~

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
2 posted 2015-09-27 10:39 AM

I'm sorry my friend. I know my "dark" poetry can be hard to read. This one has been germinating for a long,long time. I'm not describing anything new by any means. I'm just lamenting my particular impotence. It is my pity pot and I can sit on it if I want. My sun will come out tomorrow...I'm just watching the clock and the hands don't seem to be moving. ~L
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
3 posted 2015-09-27 11:40 AM

Self-lamentation is often the most cathartic of poultices, my friend, as long as one hasn't gone off the deep end already and are no longer themselves, and you certainly have not done that no matter how deep into the shadows you try and paint yourself.

Often, it also produces some of the best "dark" poetry there is, and  no matter how esoteric the writer believes it may be, it always rings clamoring bells in the minds and souls of many who haven't, themselves, been able to put "themselves" into words.

So, if this piece is from a "dark" place you are in, you've very nicely put it into words others can understand and empathize with while still allowing yourself the vision to see, feel, rationalize and understand there are many faces to life - even if they are not all a facet we want to see, or be a part
of, in our own sphere of being.

Congrats on a well written, wide-open piece that allows others to put their own souls into your shadows and gain from the cathartic nature of the write.

That, by itself, should bolster your soul.

jimmy

Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
4 posted 2015-09-27 02:04 PM

There is a breeding ground for all types of poetry. Sometimes one can 'act' out their poetic performances in order to cross over from 'light' to 'dark' and even further along to the downright morbid regardless of how they really feel.

On the other hand, your poetry came across as more conversational than any of that. If you can 'talk' about your feelings in this way (and obviously you can) with someone close to you over morning coffee (or any other morning preference), it would do your heart good.

You clearly know what you're feeling and why.

If I were a fortune cookie, upon opening me you might read, "You have given much to many, now leave your heart open to receive what the few wish to give".

Hope you enjoyed the Chop Suey.

88's always friend.    

She told me "play one for your supper Danny and maybe you'll get breakfast".

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
5 posted 2015-09-27 03:03 PM

JeryPat2! Shame on you! for erasing your first reply and being so mean spirited. You, who has written the Pity Pot Chronicles of your childhood and subsequent "lost years".  I never told you to STOP writing your feelings because they were making me feel bad. Just because I wasn't able to send you back a big fat and fake smiley face to make you feel better is no reason for you to talk to me like that. There is no excuse. Even in hell.

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
6 posted 2015-09-27 03:17 PM

Jimmy,
Bless your heart for understanding the bloodletting. I hadn't been writing much lately and that was the reason why...So I wrote about that. Now my ugly old balloon is out of the closet and I can feel things beginning to shift a bit. I'm wise enough to be scared of the dark and to know when to start whistling loudly in it. ~L

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
7 posted 2015-09-27 04:42 PM

Ticlefingers,
Funny how the Universe sends you what you need. Acquaintances have lately been suddenly warmer and huggy and engaging me in conversation like never before. I'll roll with that...~L

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
8 posted 2015-09-27 10:58 PM

I guess you won't believe it, Lori, but I am grateful things are looking up for you.

~*~ When they give you ruled paper write sideways. ~*~

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
9 posted 2015-09-28 06:14 AM

Of course I believe it Jerry, you are my friend. And I told you what was what because you are. ~L
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
10 posted 2015-09-30 10:46 PM

fine writing...james
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
11 posted 2015-10-01 06:29 AM

Thanks James! ~L
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
12 posted 2015-10-01 11:10 PM

"And if this is what it means to be stable
then I guess I’d rather be able
to feel worse by far"

Better to feel pain... to feel broken... better to feel anything at all rather than to feel numbed to it all sometimes.  I so can relate to that.  Well written piece, Lori.  You know I appreciate your walks on this side of the fence.  

Michael

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
13 posted 2015-10-02 08:13 AM

We re brothers in arms battling against the darkness. ~L
luminosity
since 2005-11-18
Posts 813

14 posted 2015-10-02 04:20 PM

ah this is echos of my life...or should I say my husband, dr's apt after dr's apt maybe better, maybe not, so so stable
pity or not? this is real, and well written...prayers on your behalf

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
15 posted 2015-10-03 07:57 AM

Bless your heart! I know it is hard on the spouses! For me, the worse part of this damn depression is that I know I'm not there for the people I love in the way I want to be and it makes me feel guilty and that makes me feel bad which just opens the dungeon doors. I think it may be harder for wives as depression in men most often presents as irritability. So prayers to YOU! ~L
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Behind a Closet Door

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary