navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Colors
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Colors Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2015-04-18 03:50 PM

Colors

I looked through the closet today, and all I saw was gray.
Color of ash, of all I’ve burned, or have let slip away.
A mesh of black and white that holds me blind to the fore.
Distinction’s now abandoned me; still I come back for more…

…To take the incompleteness, and to polish it to shine;
…To wander through the sweetness of something clearly not mine.
…To taste the swallowed bitterness, and hold passive my tongue;
While wallowing in emptiness I’ve held since I was young.

There is no color here for me, in truth there never was.
Nor feeling except exception, and that only because
Emotion’s but an art to me, just something to portray.
I’ll play my part till you accept, then simply walk away.

There is no joy to push this pen, abstract in its concept.
I yield my passions to the void, a song of love inept.
Envious of colors you show, before my aging eyes.
Those feelings I could never know, yet wear as my disguise.

In truth, I’ll wait in shadow till the voice of Night gives call;
And will die completely alone, even if loved by all.
I will let everybody down; there is no other way
Through the beautiful colors of a world where all I touch turns gray.

Michael Anderson

© Copyright 2015 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2015-04-18 05:27 PM

Michael, we all hide things, no one is perfect. I loved this poem very much, because I related to it. I have lived the life you described. I have lived what you have lived, but we have wound up not the same in our later years. I am alone. By choice. I have always been alone inside. Enjoyed. Start that novel . . .

~*~ When they give you ruled paper write sideways. ~*~

devina
Member Elite
since 1999-10-28
Posts 3539
Cali
2 posted 2015-04-19 02:35 PM

you wear dark palette well here Michael!

be good
~d

Open arms can be the most fragile in the world...

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
3 posted 2015-04-19 07:20 PM

You write fears most of us try to pretend don't exist. Sometimes I think I'm nothing but emotions, no substance whatsoever. So the 3rd verse is outside my experience - but the others I know well. That said - believe me, you don't disappoint, my friend. Black & white photos often reveal more than splashes of color ever could.
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
4 posted 2015-04-19 10:02 PM

I live in color. I dream in words. And I thank God for the balance that life and poets bring to my chaos. I also thank you, Michael. Haunting and beautiful poetry.

Alison

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
5 posted 2015-04-19 11:27 PM

Love your words, my friend, and the poetic flow they bring. I've had my bad times, my worst times, and the times where I just couldn't believe the dog-pucky was really about me.

But I rebound very well - always have(so far anyway)and always bounce back seeing the bright side of even the dark side. So I find it hard to understand the thought process that keep one constantly in "gray" or more, when everything, to me, is so vividly colorful (and I mostly wear black shirts and jeans)- no matter where I am or go.

Oops!  Now I've forgotten where I was going with this, and what awe-inspiring information I was going to leave you with!!

Huh!  Maybe thats why I "rebound well"... I just don't remember long enough to "reach" the "gray" stage.

enjoyed ...

jimmy

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
6 posted 2015-04-20 06:34 AM

Gray.  Better than the deep black hellish hole of complete despair, but a far cry from any kind of white high. Colors can disguise or elevate a lesser mood. Gray is hard to live with. I literally think I would cease to live altogether if it wasn't for laughter in my life. I cultivate my inner goofball. I'm the first one to laugh at myself.~L  
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
7 posted 2015-04-23 06:42 PM

Jer, I hear you.  Don't think I ever had a choice in the matter... it's just something that i[]was[/i], from my earliest childhood memories.  I see the similarities of the roads we have traveled even so.  

Tanya, I'll be good, so long as it's being good at being dark.  

Ruth, We who can appreciate black and white photos are slowly becoming obsolete.  I have more than my share floating around here... still use photoshop to make some of my new digital photos black and white too.  

Alison, lol...I dream in color and live in words, poetry definitely being the balance for me too.  

James, I'm pretty sure I could learn to rebound well myself, if I could ever stop kicking myself further down.  Got a lot of that dog-pucky on my shoes.

Lori, yeah gray just sucks.  It's kind of better than complete despair, at least until it gets to a point where you've seen so much of it you begin to wonder if you're really living at all.

Thank you all for the kind replies.

Michael

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Colors

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary