navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Something Whooshed...!
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Something Whooshed...! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

0 posted 2015-02-22 11:28 AM

Something whooshed…!

On a planet, in a country, in a state, in a town,
on a street where a lampost shines
and the houses, very warm, quiet dreamers in their sleep
like a hush after church bell chimes.

Something whooshed...on the wind in the distance.
Something galloped in the lime moonlight
and its wings cut the air into slices of Fear
which it tossed in the night with delight

and I shivered with a tremble and began to disassemble
with the fright now fused to my bones.
Slices landed on the rooftops, slid across the treetops
and fell down to cartop domes.

Out my bed, 'cross the floor thru a window did I spy
down the street from that lamp lurking light,
came an eerie fog creeping, 'cross the land was it seeping,
into beds and blankets and the sleepers of the night.

Then the church bell rang! Clang! Clang!
The church bell rang! Clang! Clang!

In the cloud came the hoofbeats thumping like heartbeats
pulsing to a blood-beat time,
as the whoosh of its wing flaps turned cold my blood saps
freezing in the vessels of my mind.

Fog seeped at a fast creep crossing onto my street's
curb over lawn, more and more
while sliding past the fireplace, creeping up the staircase,
thumping down the hall to my door.

Some human headed hoofed thing, half bull-half wing,
eyes froze in fire flicking flames
just reached out from the mist, grabbed me by my arm and wrist
and pulled me, screaming, in the fog in pain.

I jolted from this nightmare, awake and free of frightmares,
gasping for some air, a wake-up push.
Rushed to my window just to breathe,
the night air filled my lungs with ease
when eyes and head turned left........and Something whooshed !

Namyh

© Copyright 2015 Namyh - All Rights Reserved
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
1 posted 2015-02-22 12:03 PM

Namyh, I read this with my inner voice and all the intonations of a frightened youth, waiting for the villain. But as I read, my mind pictured snow falling slowly but strongly filling in every crevice in your home and saw a young boy  running up the stairs, running to his bed and pulling in his body to make it smaller as he watched and waited with intense fear of some strange happening. but I saw in my mind snow falling fast and furious bringing with it the soft wet white fluff that filled in every space as it fell.  I guess I added your deep scary dream to the visions I keep seeing on TV and The internet of photos of snow falling falling with no stopping and then a relief but again  falling. causing a dangerous white world for those who have to live through it.I am sure others have read it differently than I. But I thank you for a fun filled noon time. Best to you, jo    

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2015-02-22 02:47 PM

Whoaaa! When they began to whooshing, it is Katie bar the door time. I wasn't able to get with Jo's exceptional take on your poem, all I could imagine was laying there in bed with all-encompassing fear streaking throughout my body with no place to run, because what was giving me the terrifying fears was something invisible, and I remember having that kind of nightmarish fears as a growing boy back in Arkansas. "Something whooshed" indeed. Wild poetry . . .

~*~ When they give you ruled paper write sideways. ~*~

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
3 posted 2015-02-22 08:37 PM

You have such a wonderful imagination, and the remarkable talent to display it.  Always a pleasure reading your thoughts.

Michael

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2015-02-28 03:11 PM

Namyh, good that I could breath with you for a moment! Oh, but then it wasn't finished yet! You are absolutely great with nightmares!

Very powerful expressions.

Margherita

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

5 posted 2015-03-01 08:41 AM

latearrival – Any of us could be frightened reading this frothing tale of Frankenstein fright, especially with an inner voice listening to it all. I am so happy this provided a fun filled noontime for you. As for the snow filling in crevices with fluff and such, well that’s a little too Freudian for me to define with its added influence from TV and the Internet, especially when I got a few Freudian enigmas of my own. However enigma or not, fluff or not and Freud or not, this scribbler of words is so very happy you spent a little time here to enjoy and I hope this put a big ‘whoosh’ in your day jo. Namyh
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
6 posted 2015-03-01 02:05 PM

Namyh,Thank you.My mind so often wanders in to strange places and your "Whoosh" just reminded me of all those in the most Northern States here who are being gobbled up it seems by snow. Each day all I heard from family and friends who are begging for people to plow them out and worrying about their roofs caving in.And yes I find many ways to entertain myself and your story was a big help to me that day. Best to you,.  JO  
Pilgrimage
Member Elite
since 2001-12-04
Posts 3945
Texas, USA
7 posted 2015-03-01 06:26 PM

I enjoyed this one.  The way it built and built, and then the end of the dream, and I breathed in relief---too soon.   Perfect ending.

Nan (Pilgrim variety)

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

8 posted 2015-03-02 01:04 AM

Jerry – With a story like this, I could never create a visual fright better than the reader’s imagination could, especially when I hoped to inject terrifying ‘fear streaking throughout the body’ with no place to run. At this movie theater, you Bring Your Own Monster and there’s no extra cost, especially if it hails from Arkansas. LOL. So very glad to thrill you with a ‘whoosh’ JP. Okay Katie, you can take the bar off the door now! Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

9 posted 2015-03-02 01:05 AM

Michael – Your wonderful words have definitely put you on my ‘double extra crispy crème good side”. So very happy to bring something to the table that displays an impact. I enjoyed writing this one and half scared myself doing it. Poets! Go figure! So very good to hear from you again Michael and thanks loads for enjoying. Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

10 posted 2015-03-02 01:08 AM

Margherita – What a delight to deliver a fright tonight to the one and only Margherita. Your words oil these old bones and are always a thrill to read resulting in these bones rattling a lot, lot less. As always, thanks for stopping in a spell to enjoy M. Puts a big plus in my day. Namyh
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Something Whooshed...!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary