navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » From One to the Other
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic From One to the Other Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2014-12-25 10:28 AM

okay, we live
we die
between the two extremes
to keep us from
struggling in dark hidden places
we come out of that womb
wanting everything!
we grab at life and hang tough
er . . . some of us
sooner rather than later
seeks out dark lonely places
and hides from life
instead of facing up to and standing firm
we close our eyes
retreat further into that corner
of our own making
and watch the world go by
like a whispered hiss
even so
the one who grabs
at whatever life can give him
or the one
who never gave life a chance
near the end
facing the ultimate in life
which is death
both of us
mouth the age old semantic question
what's it all about Alfie?

©December 12, 2014 / Jerry Pat Bolton

~*~ When politicians give up on liberty, it falls to poets to preserve it. Or write its epitaph. ~*~

© Copyright 2014 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2014-12-25 01:09 PM

Good one, Jerry! And the question of course remains unanswered, that is, we have tried in many ways, but what do we actually know?

Meanwhile we better live life, just as you say, because in the dark corners we can't move ahead ...

And as it is Christmas today, we may add that the true motor of life is LOVE. Out of love come all things, my motto.

Merry Christmas.
Margherita

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2014-12-25 01:11 PM

Ahh . . . A very Merry Christmas to you, sweet Margherita, hope your day is good. Thank you for your profound thoughts on my poem.

~*~ When politicians give up on liberty, it falls to poets to preserve it. Or write its epitaph. ~*~

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
3 posted 2014-12-25 03:03 PM

Alfie doesn't know either.
                 Ida

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2014-12-25 03:07 PM

I don't think Alfie does know, Ida. Thanks for the chuckle.

Redstart
since 2014-05-16
Posts 535

5 posted 2014-12-25 03:39 PM

We all have our own, dark, lonely places. To get out of the darkness, we need to recognise ourselves, and get angry with those who condemn us. THEY ARE NO BETTER! Their hypocrisy would have kept the Titanic afloat.
Do you know, when my daughter was ten years old, she had a birthday party. And she was being hugged, in a photo, by Juliet. Juliet died at the age of ten, and her parents, devoutly religious, wrote on her grave:'JULIET, SAFE IN THE ARMS OF JESUS.' Does Alfie know? I doubt even their God knows.  

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
6 posted 2014-12-25 03:43 PM

Redstart, I found my peace, finally, in October 2009. I am no longer the man I was in the previous years of October 2009.

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
7 posted 2014-12-26 07:37 AM

Well...ya know people who talk like they know what it is all about (Except for those who say it is all about love) we usually consider to be bat crap crazy.(that is why I keep my theories  to myself)  
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
8 posted 2014-12-26 11:28 AM

Yes Jerry,  "we come out of that womb
wanting everything!"
we grab at life and hang tough"
I came out much too early.I guess I really wanted to be out of the womb and start living.Alas that meant being in an incubator for a while.Lucky me as Dad brought mother's milk to the hospital and I thrived. Tenacious even then.I took the world as it was and hung on. Tried to make the best of every situation since that giant leap for from tiny babe. Life is good. Hang on Jerry Hang on, Jo

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
9 posted 2014-12-26 11:39 AM

Okay Lori, since I now know I'm considered bat crap crazy, guess I'll quit going into anything like I did here again. Thanks for straightening me out . . .

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
10 posted 2014-12-26 11:41 AM

You had a hard way to go from the get-go Jo. But you hung on and kept on. And you are still thriving with that attitude. Thanks for your back history this morning.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » From One to the Other

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary