navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Ad Infinitum
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ad Infinitum Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas

0 posted 2014-12-10 08:04 PM

Ad Infinitum

Tripped on a thought,
fell headlong
into the morbidity of age,
the death of youth,
loss of omnipotence.

Backwards walking,
stumbling over dreams,
decomposing rotted carcasses
of unsustained ambition,
star-crossed misaligned ideas,
baseline truths
scattered
like so many motes of dust
in the reality of living –

Living –
that process
of smacking the alarm clock
every morning,
doing what you don’t want to do
all day,
going home,
locking yourself up
for the night,
praying the sanctity of your home
remains unbroken,
then doing it all over again,
tomorrow,
the day after,
and the next –

ad infinitum.

© wesley james beard, jr.

Please don't assume everything I write is based on my personal life

© Copyright 2014 Wesley James Beard, Jr. - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2014-12-10 11:17 PM

Ahhh . . Too many big words for me, but I imagine you are "right on" as they say. You know Jimmy, I write from the heart, and I could never put this sort of disclaimer . . . "Please don't assume everything I write is based on my personal life." Poets are first and foremost themselves, at least I have always believed that. I'm sure you have a witty comeback to my comments but I mean, really Jimmy, what are we if not honest?

Dammit I'm Mad is Dammit I'm Mad spelled backward.

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
2 posted 2014-12-11 12:25 PM

You write from a "personalized" heart - only your own, per se.  I write from the hearts of many more than myself (yet, still my own) because I have not personally experienced everything I write about.

Honesty?  Yeah, I think I more than qualify.

The disclaimer? So people don't think all my works are only about myself (based upon questions, calls, emails, etc., that I get.  

Note: without the disclaimer I would be dishonest!)

Thanks for the read and comment.

j.

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
3 posted 2014-12-11 06:21 AM

You have really made a statement with your poem about the suckage of our society. Too many people are locked into jobs they hate, are stuck in neighborhoods they hate etc. If they are lucky they have a foundation of joy to make it all seem worthwhile. Many stretches of life are covered by just putting one foot in front of the other and breathing. Enjoyed Jimmy.
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2014-12-11 12:43 PM

Ahhh Jimmy…and so it goes.  Right now the day to day monotony of life for me, is punctuated by a storm.  I'm liking the fact that it's too dangerous to go outside and so I sit and watch and listen.  Change feels good!
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
5 posted 2014-12-11 01:10 PM

Lori ... let's hear it for "one foot in front of the other... and breathing"!!  Here, Here!
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
6 posted 2014-12-11 01:12 PM

Martie --- Wow, talk about a blast from the past ... nice to "see" you... thanks for stopping: I just LOVE thunderstorms!  We've had good bit of rain this year - much more than last, but only a few Thunderstorms!  Definitely MY loss...

walk easy lady...

j.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
7 posted 2014-12-11 02:31 PM

Jimmy I have read this one three times. As I am not a deep thinker,what hits me just comes at me and I go from there. As you said to Lori "one foot in the front of the other" and where we end up is not  always ours to know until
we arrive. So far the dales have been as much a ride as the hills. And "still I rise" as my friend Maya Angelou said. best to you, jo    

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
8 posted 2014-12-11 06:04 PM

I'm caught between two contradicting thoughts.
One being it is a wonderful life and I'm truly grateful that I have been so blessed...on the other hand im thinking, is that all there is (as the song goes) so let's keep dancing.  I think as the years go by the big picture of life is more imperfect than say that picture we colored so brightly say when we were 10 or 20 years old. Your poem gives me pause as to the big picture as I know it today.

Warm hugs to you...

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
9 posted 2014-12-11 06:32 PM

Blues – I think the big picture of life is more one of perspective . It's sort of like reading a book.  When we're younger, it's like picking up a book we've never read and sitting down to read it with all the anticipation of diving in; but, at the other end of our years, it's like picking up a book we've already read, knowing what's there, all the emotions, mistakes, and the things we wish maybe could be changed.

The classic "arm-chair quarterback syndrome".

Not knowing what's going to transpire in the next minute or two, least-wise for the rest of our years, without a past to guide us, is far different from having years of experiences behind us to help guide us into tomorrow . . . and the years to come.

Don't know that one is necessarily better than the other (again, perspective) but it's life, and we've lived it so we should cherish the memories of the past (whatever their seeming worth) while willing ourselves to grow from that knowledge.  

And we start by pulling up that anchor  of memories and hoisting it as a sail to pull us into tomorrow.

as usual...

jimmy

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
10 posted 2014-12-12 08:27 AM

hello jwesley, all i can hope, is that it isn't a personnal matter, but i have no illusion cause i know that age come with bad effects really, i think we have to care about that really, but how is a really big question, your poem has a deepness that no one can underestimate, I appreciate that very much
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
11 posted 2014-12-12 12:59 PM

stumbling over dreams

Well, dear Jimmy, I have had my share of this monotony and understand your excellent approach to this theme also related to the process of aging.

I think we all can relate. And yet even within the monotony and the dissatisfaction of our days there are moments when there are those sparks that make us sigh and make us appreciate what we have and what we are. We are on the Path and we are given the chance to enjoy our existence, even if we have "stumbled over dreams". We have tried.
We live and we can improve life when we dare to love more. Out of love come all things. Enjoy the little things and share our joy with those around us.

You did a great job here, dear Jimmy.

Margherita

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
12 posted 2014-12-13 12:48 PM

I didn't read all the comments but I get the reality to repose out of this and it is as honest as can be.
Good work!

true love never looks after it's own interests

Redstart
since 2014-05-16
Posts 535

13 posted 2014-12-13 08:35 PM

Never had omnipotence,but plenty of alarm clocks. Somewhere, between the two, is love. And that negates both
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
14 posted 2014-12-14 12:49 PM

So much truth here, Jimmy. I absolutely love that first line.
                                 Ida

s1nfully_1nn0c3nt
since 2003-10-26
Posts 1105
Watertown, NY
15 posted 2014-12-21 10:05 PM

Such is life. Enjoyed your writing and all the comments.

-Trina
...because the most powerful words in your life are "I might be wrong"...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Ad Infinitum

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary