navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » The Different
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Different Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2012-04-02 03:01 PM

The Different

If, in thought, I thought I could fly;
Would you consent to let me try?
Or is imagination spent
With no wonder for wonderment?

A world rife with vistas, far and wide,
And yet we flock to each other's side --
Search for greatness one-upping another,
Measuring ourselves against each brother.

Never wondering what's left to see
Beyond this convoluted scenery,
Or taking time to care, or smile
For something no one else deems worthwhile.

So we build our bridges, hand-in-hand,
Never learning, alone, how to stand...
Against that price paid so readily,
The sacrifice of our identity.

And if somewhere, staring off into space,
Someone is caught with that look on their face,
We're sure to laugh -- sure to condemn --
Wonder what the hell is wrong with them.

And, by chance, should they care to confess,
We'll call it schizophrenic duress;
Limiting our heights or reality
To only those the masses see...

Through their empty, but oh so well-fed dreams,
And all their sickly, self-sabotaging themes;
As they, daily, hop on that hamster wheel
To chase down what society's told them is real.

Yet, today, all I crave is release;
And being different is my only peace.
I do believe it's time for me to fly...
The only question left to my mind is, "How high?"

Michael Anderson

[This message has been edited by Michael (04-03-2012 02:46 PM).]

© Copyright 2012 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
1 posted 2012-04-02 03:13 PM

My friend, you already soar... and I believe the answer to that last question depends on your own desires. For unlike Icarus, your flight doesn't depend on wax... rather, your heights are reached through the talent, heart, compassion and insight that's within you. Being different sometimes means being amazing. *S*

Or is imagination spent
With no wonder for wonderment?

Not as long as a pen's within your reach! LOL Loved this! (((HUGS)))

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2012-04-02 03:23 PM

Ah, there is no doubt that I have been called crazy a few times, and in my case they may have been more right than wrong, Michael.

But for the others, if you have that dream, that quest, which puts a faraway look in your eyes, you are to be commended, not shunned and talked about. Go for it in any case!

~*~ If they give you lined paper, write sideways. ~*~

luminosity
since 2005-11-18
Posts 813

3 posted 2012-04-02 04:38 PM

*standing applause*  oh my you hit a home run with this one!
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
4 posted 2012-04-02 06:49 PM

Echo all the above and how high...?  till the wax melts, my friend... and as Southern said, if there's no wax... then there's no limit!

enjoyed

j.

ebonygirl
Member Elite
since 2011-07-14
Posts 2000
California U.S.A
5 posted 2012-04-02 06:57 PM

Ditto what Suthern said... It's what's different about you that is most amazing, yep, Suthern said it best, Michael.
Enjoyed, ms. e

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
6 posted 2012-04-03 05:38 AM

I'd quote the whole poem, because it was so fascinating to read, totally awesome, dear Michael.

As my motto is "keeping my feet firmly in the air" I tell you don't put limits to the heights you want to reach in flight. Fly, soar, discover the bliss of WHAT IS REAL. All the things deemed real are illusions. One needs to "break the barrier of sound" to plunge deeper into the beauty of existence.

I am in awe of your "bravura"!

Margherita

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
7 posted 2012-04-03 10:05 AM

Ruth, it's amazing what we reveal to ourselves about ourselves sometimes unintentionally.  In thinking about that question, "how high?" I can clearly see that I recognize the need to reach... as well as the potential, but obviouslyseem to lack inspiration, or have accepted my "desires" as either secondary or futile to persue.  Wow... Either I need to bury my head back in my pillow, or am gonna need a triple shot of extra black coffe today.  :/  thank you for the uplifting words... I just need to get the lead out of these boots now.

JP, thank you, friend.  Your advice is sound.  I begin to wonder now if it's just too many internal voices, rather than external ones, serving to dissuade me at this point.

Michael

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
8 posted 2012-04-03 10:14 AM

Luminosity, I think it may have went foul at the last minute... Lol  that's o.k. though, I'm still up.  

jwesley, thank you kind sir.  "It's the journey, not the destination." they say...  their's still plenty of soaring and even some gliding ahead for me.  I wouldn't want to arrive too early you know?

Michael

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
9 posted 2012-04-03 10:32 AM

Ms E, it's definately the uniqueness in people that beautify life one the whole for me.  Everyone, in their own right, is extraordinary.  Most people, though, never see to realize it.

Margherita, thank you for your beautiful words.  I love that "keep my feet in the air" motto.  I think it runs in line with my favorite motto... "Strive for excellence -- be satisfied with your best!"  I've never been one to "one-up" the Joneses, but I definately try to do everything better today than I did yesterday.

Michael

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
10 posted 2012-04-03 10:41 AM

Hi...

You and I have known each other a long time.  In fact, I've known you through 'this' longer than I've known most of the people in my waking/walking life.  One thing that I know about you, is your inability to give up being who you are.  So many people meld themselves into something that makes others happy, and you are only content to present yourself in a way that is truly just you.  That's such an admirable trait; and I've never seen it's equal.

You speak of people sacrificing their identity, because that is what so many do.  I see poems like this, as your way to try to make sense of something you can't really conceive - since it is so not in your ability to be some thing you are not. Sometimes that's the only way to try to get through it, is to make some kind of reasonable sense of it.

Unfortunately, those same people, cast out and look down upon the few that stay true to themselves.  That don't "conform".  I for one, am proud to say that I'm close to you.  Thank you for the non-conformity, thank you for being what so many fail to be.

Oh, and awesome poem, as always.     lol

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
11 posted 2012-04-03 02:46 PM

"Yet, today, all I crave is release;
And being different is my only peace.
I do believe it's time for me to fly...
The only question left to my mind is, "How high?""

We all live as best we can, if we are
conscious of living, and to know you have
options is being conscious of life for
ones self and for others.  So then we choose.

I enjoyed your write.  You have a way of making the reader glad to have read.

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
12 posted 2012-04-03 03:19 PM

Nicole, it's often said we can never truly know ourselves until we see ourselves through somone else's eyes.  That being said, let me say that I don't know that I have ever been this "moved" by any reply to any of my poetry.  To say that you certainly have me pegged would be a gross understatement... you seem to know me better than I even know myself.  In the haze that has become my life, there has long been a lacking of definition, or understanding of what it is that compels me, even in the face of dire wrath, to not conform... believing it more fault than virtue, and definately knowing it to be more consequencial.  That you not only acknowledge that trait in me, but deem it virtuous touches me deeply.  I thank you for the insight, and the in-depth reply.

JL, I was about to say it all comes down to conscious vs. primal instinct, but that seems to brutal an analogy.  I believe one can persue their own unique happiness and still respect others at the same time.  It's merely society outcasting "the different" I was questioning here.  Mayhap the right to be "individual" and still be accepted by society in/for that individuality. Thank you for the read.  

Michael

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
13 posted 2012-04-06 08:42 AM

Michael...Deep provoking write. I will be reading this again & again, because I feel a twinge of inspriation from your words. I just have to hold onto my thoughts till I get time to write them. Thanks for sharing...Paul

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » The Different

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary