navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » The Anti-Device
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Anti-Device Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

0 posted 2013-07-25 05:09 PM

The Anti-Device

Ever been cannonaded by enemies,
torpedoed by insecurities,
your self-image bullet riddled by faults;
your attitude shelled and your smile in shrapnel
like a suit of armor held together by a loose bolt ?

When they all zero-in to land on target,
to detonate and make you explode,
do what I did and “mentally” remove
the flush from the side of the commode.

In the morning, I attach it to the side of my head
and await the barrage of the day.
The torpedoes and shells don't hurt any more
'cause I click and flush each one away.

At the close of the day,
there's no backup of tension
or need for intensive therapy.
My Anti-device will work for you
very well like it works for me.

And I'm not implying that you can have mine
or that I will make you a loan.
Just go to your bathroom and open the door,
and there you'll find one of your own !

Namyh

© Copyright 2013 Namyh - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2013-07-25 05:53 PM

Ah, this is so damn good, Namyh, and I truly wish you'd been around during my two lost decades. Who knows, even if you had been I would have probably ignored you and went my own way into the pits of hell. But back to your poem, you have a brilliant thought process and I applaud you for it.

~*~ If they give you lined paper, write sideways. ~*~

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
2 posted 2013-07-26 07:20 AM

Way to go Namyh! At the fist of the poem you had me thinking "he is going apocalyptic" then when you went to
" and “mentally” remove
the flush from the side of the commode."
That little unexpected twist really made me smile. Great message too!  Well done!

Lori

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

3 posted 2013-07-28 01:18 PM

JerryP – Look at this way Jerry. We’ve all had our few lost decades of time. Who knows, even had I been there then I would have doubtless demonstrated my roguish rebel ‘I don’t give a damn’ attitude for sure. Then eventually we both would have ended up in the pits of Hell where we would have no doubt met over sizzling charcoals, burning sulphur and looking at Satan looking at us. Now there’s a cheery place to be without an Anti-Device! Whoa! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Sometimes the trek down memory lane can be Hell! Can’t it? Ha! Ha! Ha! Thanks a lot Jerry for stoppin’ in to enjoy and for making my day. Namyh  
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

4 posted 2013-07-28 01:20 PM

Lori – It’s insightful that you would think “apocalyptic”. I started out writing about mankind’s doom and destruction and somewhere along the line it evolved into a flush on the side of a commode that could help someone to prevent their own. Don’t ask! Don’t ask! If I hadn’t changed horses in mid-stream, I never would have found out that I liked this second horse better. So I kept the title the same. Poets! Go figure! So very happy to deliver an unexpected twist that really made you smile. For this scribbler of words, it was ‘apocalyptic’ and I couldn’t ask for more. Boom! Namyh  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » The Anti-Device

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary