navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » The Poe Toaster
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Poe Toaster Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Victoria
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-08-12
Posts 5869

0 posted 2013-01-19 01:02 PM

Inspired by the mysterious Poe Toaster.

For decades, the Poe Toaster  honored
the birthday of Edgar Allan Poe,
leaving three red roses upon his grave.
This mysterious man, did no one know.

They say two of the long stem red roses,
were in honor of his mother and wife.
His mother died in the third year of his life.

He dressed in black and wore a white scarf
and a fedora or derby hat.
He toasted with cognac instead of champagne.
They also said he walked with a cane.

He was seen creeping below a passage
of Westminster Hall
but the past four years
he did not appear at all.

He was probably an ancestor
or maybe a poetry fan
but,thank you to the Poe toaster
for remembering this famous man.

Happy 204th birthday Mr. Poe.
1/19/1809 to 10/7/1849

[This message has been edited by Victoria (01-19-2013 06:28 PM).]

© Copyright 2013 Victoria - All Rights Reserved
RedStoneEB
since 2003-06-08
Posts 772
uk
1 posted 2013-01-19 02:14 PM

Its been a long time since i've been drawn towards the arts of poetry, and poe was always one of those ones that stood out among the crowd not for been conventional to the time but writing against the tide.

I'm sure we should all toast this great man even if his life had its up's and down's but i think we all go through the stages, yet its the ability to write from them that is the achievement.

RS

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2013-01-19 02:17 PM

Don't know how that could have escaped my attention, but I have never heard of the Poe Toaster, but you are correct, Victoria, Poe deserved a person like the Poe Toaster to honor him.

~*~ If they give you lined paper, write sideways. ~*~

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
3 posted 2013-01-19 02:45 PM

Haha... I read the title and thought you were gonna be toasting poor Edgar like a slice of bread, and that he might end up burnt too.  This was just the opposite though.  

Don't give up hope, there are still a few of us out here who remember Poe, and who are inspired by him.  I think he will always be toasted by some, but those I feel most who can relate to Poe at that intimate of a level, probably walk the world quite alone, as he did... even in the midst of friends, family, and loved ones.

Enjoyable piece.

Michael

Victoria
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-08-12
Posts 5869

4 posted 2013-01-19 03:11 PM

Thank you RS...Yes Poe had a very interesting life and thank you for responding. He is my favorite.It is always nice hearing from poets from my birth country.

Thank you Jerry...Well I'm glad I brought that to your attention...it is as mysterious as Poe was.

Michael...Yes I love dark romance, and I enjoy writing it too. Poe was probably sad and alone as his parents both died at three I believe...Probably always yearned for them...I hate cognac though ha!! Nice hearing from you Michael.

~Victoria

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » The Poe Toaster

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary