navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Repeat of No Time for Lollygagging
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic Repeat of No Time for Lollygagging Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida

0 posted 2013-01-09 11:15 PM

No time for Lollygagging
they walk with arms akimbo
as they swing them to and fro
No time for lollygagging
triple stepping to a private beat

No time to glance aside to see
the violet there beside the tree,
the violet wonders why
they never stopped to peek,
like others do as they pass by

No time to listen to the chickadee.
they have receivers in their ears.
eyes straight ahead they continue
and in so doing miss
the fairy rings around the oak

No time for lollygagging
nor time to see small creatures
that share the path they tread,
the dandelions proud and tall,
eyes straight they forge ahead

no time for lollygagging
On a mission as it were
to shake those pounds,
but oh how much they miss
along the way.

Better they swing their arms to the
Hukilau and slow their steps
with movements soft and smooth
much better for our eyes and ears
and as much in exercise.

latearrival April 2009

© copyright martyjo

RE: Lollygagging. I had to rework this to tell of the many many people who walk along with an ipad or Ipod and see nothing and hear nothing but the inane conversations they seem to find so
important.

I posted it on Facebook.You go ahead and do what you will with this. I would love to see what you come up with regarding the people who never look up as they walk. Jo

[This message has been edited by latearrival (01-10-2013 12:03 AM).]

© Copyright 2013 martyjo - All Rights Reserved
Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now
1 posted 2013-01-10 12:55 PM

That is so true! Love it
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
2 posted 2013-01-10 11:57 AM

Jo, this is priceless.  Thanks for posting it, and writing it.  You do inspire!
TD

XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
3 posted 2013-01-10 12:40 PM

Hahahaha !   "important" people   DOING  "important" things.  ::smiles::   I love this. (((latearrival)))
XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
4 posted 2013-01-10 12:46 PM

I am reminded of a time... my oldest son and I were sitting on a bench outside Walmart... "people watching".  This one gentleman, in a suit, came hurrying by...pushing everyone aside.   It was clear that HE was in a great hurry.  I said to my son, "An IMPORTANT person...on a MISSION".   About 10 minutes later...he came out of the store...walking quite slowly and peaceful...dipping into a can of Planter's Peanuts. I'm glad he found Peace. ::smiles::
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
5 posted 2013-01-10 01:11 PM

Amaryllis,This Diamond, and Larry.thank you all. This was an old one. I will repost it with the new device added.LOL jo
  Larry I love your story about the fast walker and a bag of peanuts.

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
6 posted 2013-01-10 02:29 PM

Good one, Jo!  I can relate to Larry's shopper.  I hate shopping and certainly do find peace once it's over and done with peanuts or not. I'm sure the joggers do see things but just don't stop either literally or figuratively to think about them.

Take care.
Helen  

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
7 posted 2013-01-10 04:15 PM

I kinda like this, because it feels like your talking about the death of curiosity and wonder of the world. I would have commented, but I don't have much internet connection.

Juju

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

8 posted 2013-01-10 04:16 PM

I've got a buddy who always does that too, its annoying!

for christmas i gave him an Apple Ipad box with a sterile bandage eye pad in it

oh how we laughed.. well at least i laughed hahaha

great one Jo!

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
9 posted 2013-01-10 05:21 PM

lollygagging...

You have made a very distinct point, one everyone should be aware of.
It's time to put down the gadgets and lollygag...

Excellent write, Jo...

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

10 posted 2013-01-10 05:30 PM

People do not see things as they used to, perhaps thats why they may need us to bring things to their attention? May all poets be lollygaggers (have i just invented a new word?) and observe what others cannot or will not see....lollygaggers of these blue pages unite!

Thank you for sharing this...

Goldenrose.

music was my refuge.i could crawl into the spaces between the notes and curl my back to loneliness - Maya Angelou

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
11 posted 2013-01-11 12:26 PM

Thank you Helen,JuJu,Richy,JL and
Golden Rose. The gadgets have indeed taken over. Thanks for understanding my attempt to bring it out into the open so others can see how hard it is for we who love nature  and face to face conversation, to understand the attraction of constant chatter and tweeting with hands and eyes instead of living a life.  Had an incident with grandchildren who came to call on me. Three and a friend, all sitting in my living room with gadgets in their hands, playing games and tweeting. I finally asked why they came to call. "Oh we wanted to visit with you". I told them next time they came they had to park the phones on a shelve and retrieve them when they left. That was the last time they came.  

Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

12 posted 2013-01-11 11:49 AM

Jo...you are correct to take the gadgets and phones off them, it is not good manners at all...i read an article about the singer Rod Stewart...apprently when he and his familly sit down to eat they ALL have to adhere to his rule of leaving phones and other devices in a bowl while they are sat at table and can only retrieve them once the meal is over....these so called hard rocking singers eh, just mild manered and old fashioned underneath LOL...be well..

Golderose

music was my refuge.i could crawl into the spaces between the notes and curl my back to loneliness - Maya Angelou

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
13 posted 2013-01-11 09:23 PM

GoldenRose. Love the story.I am not the only one. I did indeed tell them they were being very rude and to the boy friend I said, "I hope you are not as rude to your mom and grandmother". People need to put the phones down when in someone's home to visit. But alas a lot of so called "grown ups" do it also. Thanks for the revisit. jo
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
14 posted 2013-01-11 10:38 PM

You hit the nail right on the head with this one, Jo.
                       Ida

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
15 posted 2013-01-11 10:48 PM

I find it odd that some people think its perfectly acceptable to carry on electronic love affairs...in broad daylight no less.   . Great message!!!
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
16 posted 2013-01-12 01:19 AM

Ida and Blues,thank you. It will get old hat and boring soon I hope.LOL
Thanks for reading and posting jo

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
17 posted 2013-01-12 04:53 PM

Martyjo, I thought I had replied to this!  I read it some days ago and came back in to read it again, and saw that I hadn't replied.  The non-lollygagging part is is just up my forest path, as well you know!  Love it!  Hate the truth of the fact, though, that so many people, especially young people, just miss out on life, thinking that they are living it to the full.   Your poem reminds me of W H Davies' poem,

Leisure

What is this life, if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty’s glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

W. H. Davies

I know you won't mind me adding this here.  

Owl

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
18 posted 2013-01-12 06:46 PM

Owl, Of course I do not mind your adding those lines.It sounds like something I wrote.LOL

Yes, you and I share the same feelings and I hope this silliness soon wears off. How does any one find time to work, play or do school work? I know their are a few kids who are still doing well in school but I am afraid it will take too much time from their studies not to mention face to face time with friends and family. Thank you for stopping in again and posting. jo

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Repeat of No Time for Lollygagging

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary