navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Dear Donna
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dear Donna Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!

0 posted 2012-06-17 04:47 AM

Dear Donna,

Today I heard the wind.  The leaves rustled softly as the breeze swept through spruce, willow and alder branches.  I listened to the silence-that-really-was-not-silence, and my eyes lifted to gaze upon a rainbow - a rainbow that reached into the blue sky as if pointing to you.

Beneath it spruce branches framed the light beyond them.  The shade under that tree beckoned to me. It felt like a sanctuary, a place of peace.  It felt like a pause in a staccato conversation.  I wondered how often you had looked through this very doorway that opened to a magical world beyond.

The view, that once invited your attention, mesmerized me.  The expanse of nothingness drew my eyes to gaze upon woods, valley and mountains shrouded by an incoming thrunder shower haze and made me look higher into the sky.  I searched for you among the clouds.

Abruptly, my thoughts were broken by a jerking nudge.  There was your Millie – the reason I was at your house.  I take care of her from time to time now, you know. There was Millie girl.  For the first time ever, she let me pet her.  Remember how she once feared my shadow?  Today she gave me a gift of comfort and so much more.    She offered me companionship, understanding … and we basked in our love of you.

We miss you, Donna.

[This message has been edited by Alison (06-17-2012 05:53 AM).]

© Copyright 2012 Alison - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2012-06-17 06:57 AM

Breathtakingly beautiful.

~*~ If they give you lined paper, write sideways. ~*~

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
2 posted 2012-06-17 08:24 AM

Very beautiful, compassionate and loving, my friend....this exudes your heart...

j.

Startime1955
since 2012-04-22
Posts 1072
Alberta, Canada
3 posted 2012-06-17 01:34 PM

This is so very beautiful...the way the pictures blend with your words are perfect...a wonderful tribute to Donna...*BIG HUGS*

*may our dreams ever be magical*

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
4 posted 2012-06-17 01:36 PM

Thank you very much, Jerry and Jimmy.  You guys make me smile so often.

Thank you also, startime.  Each picture was taken with Donna guiding my lens.  I just shot what she wanted me to share through her eyes.  

xoxoxo
Alison

Daddy Goose38
since 2010-09-04
Posts 430
obama's a rice paper tiger
5 posted 2012-06-17 01:53 PM

Dear Ali, Now I really HaVE to go to sareway but I'll write soon.
And guess who's birthday is coming up in just a few weeks Jaime

Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
6 posted 2012-06-17 01:56 PM

Happy, happy early birhtday, my dear friend, Jamie.  Come back soon.  I owe you a poem!

xoxoxo
Ali

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
7 posted 2012-06-17 02:07 PM

What a beautiful reflection.  I love this.  I have searched for that portal many times but have never found it.  I envy you.

Michael

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
8 posted 2012-06-17 05:11 PM

Wonderful from the heart Alison.

The world's problem is that the masses have drifted away from such beauty. The old cliche, stop and smell the roses.

This is so special Alison but even though I don't know you that well it's definitely you. I've read your work from days gone by and the words still live.

"I listened to the silence-that-really-was-not-silence"
I have always thought the same way.

Hope the mosquitos aren't too bad up there yet....smile....

Eric

true love never looks after it's own interests

Daddy Goose38
since 2010-09-04
Posts 430
9 posted 2012-06-17 07:44 PM

dear Ali
Some years ago I fell in love with someone who then had to leave, and I was devistated.  Having "no one to talk to" even though she was forever gone I would write letters to her.  I wrote her of the rain, how good a restaurant food was, how I felt, etc.  I could not stop writing and writing.  It didn't matter that she was not there I just had to tell her.  Or perhaps some one like her or just someone.  The initial "slop" gradually evolved into something like "poems" but since no one knew Braille and was too busy anyway I was just talking to myself, just fantasies of what might have been or pretending "it" had not happened.  I threw most of it away.  Then one day the house I was in organized a very informal "wine and cheese" read-a-thon. Just Jor fun I read some "stuff" and was then startled when some asked how could they get a copy of it?  Anyway years passed and here we are on Pip
When I last saw my diing (or is it dying) father we, or perhps I pretended that it
really wasn't the end and pretended we were going to the mountain resort again when he got better, but he did not get better.
For many years I would dream Father, the theme being that he didn't really die, that he was just "very sick," that we spend time or go out to eat as before, perhaps dreaming of the father-son time we would never have.  Somethimes he would say not to tell anyone that we were having time together, that it was a secret, that quarrelsome relatives must not, under any circumstances, know that he was still alive, and should instead go on thingking he was dead.  It was secret.  The "line" was that he had died, and he appeared to me only because I alone knew that he had not.
What good the dreams and fantasies did I can't say, thinking things haden't really happened and dreaming people who weren't there.  But perhaps writing them letters seemed to somehow ease the pain and have got a sort of "closure" where in reality there was not even time to say a propper goodby.
Your poem, writing to someone who isn't there, makes me hopeful that, however nonsinsical it may seem, writing them might be a way of grieving, a way of healing.
For now I know other people may do it too.
(And guess who's birthday is coming up in just a few weeks soon!!!
Loves and hopes that you are well.
Jaime

Daddy Goose38
since 2010-09-04
Posts 430
10 posted 2012-06-17 08:41 PM

Ethome:  Maybe if Alison can catch a really big mosquito she can get on and fly down to visit us.
I am not sure but I think mosqpitos doen't charge you to fly people around.
They're not unionized yet.
Zzzzzzzzzzzz ...
Slap!

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
11 posted 2012-06-18 01:12 AM

fantastic, alison, a way to the dreams and beauty, enjoyed a lot and was touched,

yann

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2012-06-18 09:36 AM

Aligirl, this was heart-wrenchingly beautiful. I am so sorry for your and Millie's loss, but smiled at the thought that her dog now welcomes you.

Very touching...and beautiful photos!

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
13 posted 2012-06-18 09:46 AM

Sweet Alison, you have captured the harmony of All There is, despite the apparent separation (only apparent) between you and Donna.

Your wonderfully inspired words and the breathtaking pictures were a real treat. Thank you for this precious poetic gift.

Love and hugs.
Margherita

"Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love."
(Rumi)

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
14 posted 2012-06-20 12:47 PM

I wish my arms were long enough to reach across the miles and envelope you and Millie in hugs! *S* This is exquisitely beautiful.
Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
15 posted 2012-06-24 02:34 AM

Michael, keep searchig.  I truly believe that you will find it.  Thank you for reading and understanding.

Alison

-

Hi Eric,

I love the simple beauty that is around us every day.  Nope, the mosquitoes are not too bad.  Thank God.  Thank you for reading my poem.

Aison

-

Jaime,

I believe that letters like this are healing, and just maybe read by those whom we write to.  Who knows?  If Santa Claus once read our Christmas leters, those we love should be able to read and share out thoughts and memories.

Happy day, Jaime.

xoxo
Alisn

-

I don't know if I could rope a mosquito that big, Jaime!

-

yann,

Thank you.  You have a beautiful heart.

Ali

-

Sunshine,

Thank you for picking up on the special gift that Millie gave me.  She is special and healed part of my heart.

xoxoxo
Alison

-

Thank you, dear Margherita.  You are very speical.

xoxo
Alison

-

Awww, Ruth, I felt that hug and send one right back to you.  Thank you for the love that you share with us .. and for reading my poems.

xoxoox
Alison

ebonygirl
Member Elite
since 2011-07-14
Posts 2000
California U.S.A
16 posted 2012-06-25 10:24 AM

Oh Alison, this touched me ... a beautiful write.
Ms. E

Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
17 posted 2012-06-25 11:13 AM

Thank you for feeling it, MsE.

Alison

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
18 posted 2012-06-25 10:43 PM

Precious...James
luminosity
since 2005-11-18
Posts 813

19 posted 2012-06-26 02:10 PM

beautiful.....thank you for sharing this with us
Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

20 posted 2012-07-02 06:09 PM

Well this is like finding a rare flower in a scented woodland, special and unique and i would like to thank you very much for the words and the great pictures too...thank you..

Goldenrose.

music was my refuge.i could crawl into the spaces between the notes and curl my back to loneliness - Maya Angelou

Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
21 posted 2012-07-09 12:39 PM

James, luminosity, and Goldenrose,

Thank you for reading, feeling and sharing your thoughts with me.  Each response is special - very special - to me.

xoxoxo
Alison

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
22 posted 2012-07-09 12:14 PM

I was so touched when I read this, Alison.  Thank you for sharing your love here.  Hugs!
Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
23 posted 2012-07-11 03:26 AM

Marty,

Thank you.  I miss Donna a lot.

A

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Dear Donna

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary