navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Death
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Death Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2011-10-20 05:44 PM

Death

In the hospital waiting room
I lowered my head in prayer.
When an ominous mist seemed to perfume
The surrounding air in vast despair.
I raised an eyelid to perceive
What was befouling the corridor.
What I saw I could not believe…
Vilely gliding across the floor.

A hooded man holding a scythe,
I choked and gasped, then caught my breath…
Glancing down at me, I couldn’t help writhe
Looking upon the face of Death.
Awestruck, I stumbled to me feet,
Searching for something to say.
A skeletal forefinger I found discreet,
As, intently, he turned away.

I knew this was to be a warning,
Yet, somehow, was compelled to follow.
I knew regret might await come morning,
And all I’d have left to do was wallow.
I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised,
He headed straight to her surgery room.
In the dank air behind him I realized
This man was but a walking tomb.

Almost mercifully he approached the table,
His eyes gazing down to my love…
As doctors flurried, trying to bring stable
A heart they were losing track of.
And as he put hands to her chest
I started screaming and crying,
All in life I ever held abreast,
Alas, before me dying.

‘Twas then death again looked my way,
And with a gentle wave of hand
By Darkness I was swept away
To dream in some shadowy land.
I dazedly awoke, hours later,
Face down on the waiting room floor…
Got the room number from the operator
And scurried on out the door.

I rushed in to find her, set upright,
In the comfort of her bed.
I laughed, I cried, I held her tight,
For, alas, my love was not dead.
I tried to explain what I thought dream
But, then, she gently hushed my lips –
Looked full upon me, eyes agleam,
‘Spoke to me of his fingertips.

He held her heart with a soft squeeze,
Drawing the pain out of her soul,
And with the death of her disease
He then returned it to her, whole.
His hands radiating warmth and healing,
She noticed that his eyes had teared.
But as she reached out to ease his feeling,
Suddenly, he disappeared.

Now I’m not sure why it is we saw
What no others had seen that day.
I’m not sure I comprehend Death’s law,
But at least I understand his way.
For I realize death’s misunderstood,
Most live their lives fearing the knell.
But for those who see Death’s purpose is good,
Alas, Death may serve life as well.

Michael Anderson

But dreams — of those who dream as I,
Aspiringly, are damned, and die

EAP

© Copyright 2011 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2011-10-20 06:10 PM

Took me on a strange ride and I'm still shaking my head and trying to dissect it. Everything has a purpose, even death, but death used as a rejuvenating source is difficult to grasp. I'll read it again in an hour or so and if I see something I missed now I'll come back and readjust my comments, Michael.

~* The saddest words of tongue or pen are the words It might have been.--John Greenleaf Whittier ~*~

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
2 posted 2011-10-20 06:31 PM

Well, JP, my sister found this poem in her storage unit, in a binder of poetry I gave her way back in 1998.  I can't clearly think back to the writing of it, to truly know what was going through my head then... I only know I was suffering from a life threatening illness at the time and was pretty sure I was done fore.  

In reading it I think I was trying to convince myself, or mayhap my family since I actually gave it to my sister, that good could somehow come from my passing... that the death of the family scourge might prove to be a healing balm to those I've touched and therefore infected...  Either that or I was just on one good bender!  Don't delve too deep into it... cause on this one I have no other real answers for you.  

Michael

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
3 posted 2011-10-20 09:49 PM

A menagerie of death images as if it had life of its own, and as if it was passing in review for you in thought, dream, and reality.  This is really thick with imagery and reflection.
Nice write.

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2011-10-20 09:59 PM

Michael, Michael, Michael...

I wrote a poem long ago that I dared to share with my mother. I believe she found me writing it one day, back in the late '60's, and asked me about it. I had never shared my writing with her before.

It may still be in my green spiral. I'm not sure. All I remember is her gasp, her face of fear, and I was sure even then, that I would never, ever write again.

Uncommonly, the poem "came home" not too many years later to a beloved friend. When I heard of her passing, I saw my poem in my mind again, and I knew the face I had seen

was hers.

I stopped writing for a long while.

I am glad that you've posted something of your youth, and are

here!

to talk about it.

ebonygirl
Member Elite
since 2011-07-14
Posts 2000
California U.S.A
5 posted 2011-10-20 10:12 PM

There is always some renewal when one experiences death,
appreciate your poem, ms. e

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
6 posted 2011-10-20 10:30 PM

The ones we can't remember... there is something special about those...This is wonderful, I love the way you are thinking here.  Thanks for sharing it.

Lori

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
7 posted 2011-10-21 12:27 PM

He held her heart with a soft squeeze,
Drawing the pain out of her soul,
And with the death of her disease
He then returned it to her, whole.
His hands radiating warmth and healing,
She noticed that his eyes had teared.

We usually dread Death's coming so much we forget how often his touch relieves unspeakable agony. Here, he heals disease and we see his compassion... but perhaps that compassion is shown more often than we think. *S* With the title, I didn't expect a poem that would be so uplifting... you wrote such a wonderful surprise! *S*

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
8 posted 2011-10-21 02:29 PM

JL, yeah, I’m guilty of personifying Death.  Been doing that for some years now.  I used to obsess with my own death… then, after awhile I realized that he would rather have me one vital organ at a time, than all at once.  So I don’t worry much about Death anymore.  I realize I haven’t suffered nearly enough to expect him any time soon.

K, thank you.  I have tried many times to put the pen down permanently… Words can be a scary thing, especially when tied to emotion.  I am glad your muses proved to be as stubborn as mine, in that regard.

Ms. E, indeed.  A grandfather dies… a child is born with the same looks and mannerisms.  There is a process, and a renewing of life that could only be accomplished, or at least appreciated, through death.

Lori, ‘tis my pleasure.

Ruth, the twist on this that I think is being missed is Death was just what his name projects him to be to the disease.  He did not heal the disease, he brought death to it, and thus, as a consequence the heart was perceived to us as healed.  It’s almost as if Death had a choice… the disease or the girl.  

The “Valley Fever” disease I was suffering from at the time I wrote this was an incurable, living fungal infection in my lung.  To remove it, there was a very high risk that the disease would enter my blood stream and from there would be free to attack any other organ in my body.  If it were to attack the spinal column or brain it would be fatal.  Because I have a weak immune system due to juvenile diabetes, the doctors refused to operate on me until I was coughing up so much blood each night that that it, in itself, was proving to be life threatening.  I think I needed to believe at the time I wrote this that something, perceivably Death, could remove this disease from me without taking my life.  In the end, the lung was removed, and my “healing” was termed miraculous by the doctors.  Death claimed my left lung and, so far as I’m concerned, the disease with it, allowing for this.      Personally, I think Death is just a big poetry fan.

Michael

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
9 posted 2011-10-22 04:52 PM

I'm sorry Death claimed any part of you and especially such a major part... but if he had to take something from you, I'm so glad he took a lung and not your life! *S* And I like the thought of him as a poetry fan... especially if that will keep you safe! *S*
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2011-10-22 06:05 PM

"It's not that I'm afraid of death--I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Woody Allen

I could probably hit you with one link to extensive reading on Woody Allen death quotes, but I think just one more will exemplify his progress towards peace with death:

"Fear of death ... That's funny. I have that too.
My dog has it. It's very common with living creatures."
- the movie Anything Else (2003)

I'm not trying to dismiss your point, I just discovered that the old platitude of Laughter As The Best Medicine is better than 20 mgs. of carefully buffered pain meds.

(I laughed out loud watching his celebration of neuroses and my migraine disappeared.)

For a while.

You keep writing. I'll keep reading.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Death

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary