navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » CAPABLE
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic CAPABLE Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Amberzlynnc
since 2010-08-24
Posts 229
New Jersey

0 posted 2011-06-09 12:58 PM

CAPABLE
By: Amber Corcoran
Inspired by and response to: Marty Schoenleber III’s “Push”

“This is for the soul searchers
This is for the songwriter who feels like who he is… doesn’t fill the space of who he was meant to be
This is for the depressed cigarette smoking chain smokers
This is for the poet who writes a thousand lines, and keeps them all to herself because nobody else deserves to hear them
This is for the starlit sky of every midnight wanderer who looks up, wondering
This is for the traveler who wants to bring one special person with them everywhere, but can’t inspire
This is for the traveler who never got the chance, and lies below a rock  with his name
I don’t even know if I’m old enough to say it, but it’s for the generations of baby boomers, of old women and men, who’s ideas and values are shushed by an obnoxious generation
This is for the wedding planners whose weddings never seem to come
This is for the beautiful girls.. that somebody told otherwise
This is for the 15 year old gang member who can’t leave
This is for the second place finishers and the C students
This is for the guitar strings never threaded and the scripts never written and the thrill voices that never cried HALLELUJAH because they didn’t because they didn’t believe they could”

This is for the man whose words that I’ve just quoted
But most of all, this is for the CAPABLE
If you wake up in the morning and are breathing in life on this earth, this is for you

Because everyone who exists on this planet is capable of greatness and there is no way that you are going to tell me or tell yourself
that because we were not PUSHED…
that because someone in our lives didn’t tell us to “be something bigger, BE SOMETHING BIGGER, be  SOMETHING”
that we will not be anything until commanded to be
so by another.

I was pushed when I heard that this year’s senior prom queen was the smartest girl in the class, not the prettiest
I was pushed when I walked into the library at 1am on a Friday morning and there were people at desks studying.. and they didn’t leave until it closed
I am pushed when my friends get 4.0’s and I am pushed when I hear that ANYONE receives a 4.0… because it means that I can as well
I was pushed when I was accepted into college
I was pushed when I completed my first year of college
I receive a push every morning when I wake up and realize I need 6000 dollars to go back to college, and my parents tell me it’s impossible
I receive a push every time I see my beautiful nephew… and he’s in the arms of his 16 year old mother
and I receive the greatest push each time I think of my father, who now resides 6 feet under the skin of the earth, buried with heroin still in his veins.

Each time something touches your life, let it push you
Whether it is pushes you to follow in its path or pushes you miles away from where that event ended up
make sure it pushes you in one direction- and that’s the top
It’s okay if you’re a mustard seed and no one expects you to move a mountain or to cover it’s slopes in yellow…
But if YOU expect yourself to move that mountain from the east to the west and turn it a brilliant shade of gold, that’s all that matters  

I expect myself to be behind the design of the next modern world wonder
I expect myself to be the words on the published pages that a thousand eyes read before bed
I expect myself to breath underwater with no equipment,
soar to the moon with no shuttle,
cause the sun to rise in the west and set in the east,
and I expect to grow ten inches taller and model for Elite Model Management

“I was supposed to be…” are 5 words that should never start a sentence that leaks from your mouth or from your pen
Replace them with “I will strive to be…” and watch yourself become huge
Become something that never was, not something that has been
Let the forces of life push you, not the voices of others and you’ll soar through your life on the wings of success
You ARE capable

So now I have to ask..
What pushes you, and where are you going?

*Amber

© Copyright 2011 Amber Corcoran - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2011-06-09 08:37 AM

I'm pushed to write. I know that sounds anticlimactic, but that is neither here nor there. From my eighteenth birthday I began my search for something I couldn't explain. This search took me many places on the make-it-the-best-way-that-you-can plan. I've scaled heights, I've been behind bars. As I was living my life in admittedly a slipshod manner something kept pushing in the back of my brain. Write! Write, man, Write! Well, one day I sat down and started writing and the words are still coursing through my fingers. I've not been a commercial success, but I have been successful in my mind. Thirteen books, working on another and taking notes about the one coming after that.

THAT, is my PUSH.

~ Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.--Will Rogers ~

Duck1946
since 2011-05-16
Posts 84
Nebraska
2 posted 2011-06-12 03:53 PM

I suppose mostly I am being pushed by God to be more compassionate, and less judgemental.
I am still searching for the spiritual meaning in life.
And as I turn 65 this month, I suppose I will always be searching. And that's okay.
Loved your poem!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » CAPABLE

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary