navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Heroine Chic
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Heroine Chic Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2011-05-07 05:23 PM

Kept secrets, shame-denial;
Though recently her dis-ease
Has become more obvious;
Friends with feelings of concern
State -ask:" You're not obese,
Nor overweight..so why purge
The little that you eat?"

Anorexic-bulimic,
Fingers recent
Down the throat;
Made her hurl
The lemon water
Wheat-thin meal
Turned vomit-
Still wet
On bare feet
Below a face
Turned sky up-
Begging
Heavens promise
Of relief;

The worlds advertisements'-
Printed on the back of her eyes

Absorb  the rays of a sun,
Distorted by addiction;
Like cloud shade
That blocks light
On sunny days-

No need for surgical tubing,
Or tied balloon vein-elevators;
She doesn't eat, and so gets high
By needles filled with culture lies,
That tell her that she's not yet "in"  

Although
Her body is
Madison-
Avenue
Runway
Possessed-
Kate Moss
Black
Cloth'd
Bones
Draped
On
Heroine
Chic
Flesh
p
a
l
e
And
Deathly
t
h
i
n

© 201l ford hume

[This message has been edited by ice (05-07-2011 06:01 PM).]

© Copyright 2011 ford hume - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2011-05-07 05:54 PM

Being a guy, and an old guy at that, I fail to understand the whole "Anorexic" thing. I'm not at all saying it isn't real, because I know it is and people die from it. I just don't understand the need to become literally skin and bones. Haven't they eyes? Can't they see? I feel sorry for them because undoubtedly it is a disease that takes over your mind completely.

Good work here, Ice . . .

~ Logical argument is what destroys poetry because poetry is beyond logic.—Robert Graves ~

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
2 posted 2011-05-07 06:08 PM

Jerry
I am also an "old" guy, a little younger than dirt.lol
I don't understand the disease either. Disease, just doesn't work as a discriptive term for me...thats why I disconnected the word in the poem  "dis-ease" her mind is at dis-ease. Pop culture is to blame, in my opinion..runway models are very skinny,for the most part.. that part of pop culture seemed to spur on the spread of that dis-ease.
Thanks for the review..

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2011-05-07 08:01 PM

Actually, Ford, the term "dis-ease" or one who is at dis-ease from pain, discomfort, etc., can go on to being dis-eased from life, humor, warmth, comfort, etc. Your poem is riviting and as always, very well constructed. Being nearly as old as dirt, I have seen too many children go through this pain and mostly by choice of not being accepted because a man's world [lingerie and clothing designer icons] have said "thin is in" which began, unfortunately, back in the 60's [as far as I can tell.] Which century of the 60's is another teller.

It is easy enough today to go into photographic archives and see that the fuller, more plump figure declined starting in the 50's of the 1900's....

Yet, I have clothing dated 1900 in my basement on mannquins that show small and thin people - in their youth. At their marriage. But remember Scarlett's famed "18-inch waist"?

I do. I also remember reading the book in the early 1960's and thinking "so that's what the proper waist size is...18"! Of course the story of Scarlett never allowed as to her height - which makes a great difference, proportionately, as I'm sure you know.

I'm just rambling to the audience as it grows, and considering the title, it will. Proportion is everything...

and health? Precious, dear.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2011-05-07 08:15 PM

Actually Ice, the word maybe should be "di-sease" as in die.

~ Logical argument is what destroys poetry because poetry is beyond logic.—Robert Graves ~

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2011-05-07 08:29 PM

It is a baffling thing, I agree.

And it's just one instance, but a close friend of mine once starved herself down to under ninety lbs.

Through therapy, both medical and psychological, she discovered she was subconsciously rebelling against the feeling that she was, and had been living a life that she felt was being controlled by others...

I've learned a lot from her.

Some times, people prefer to self-destruct rather than embrace a savior figure. Especially if they've had particularly bad luck with their savior figures.

Thoughtful write, ice.

It's very good to read you again.

(and btw, that's not a blanket diagnosis for all anorexics--disease is pretty much as personal as every body.)

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
6 posted 2011-05-07 08:48 PM

good capture Ice! For something you do not understand you described it well.
Lori

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
7 posted 2011-05-07 09:29 PM

Thank you Ms. Karilea..that was a comprehensive review..
An 18" waist? They must have cinched the gals real tight in those days..Whale bone corsets, and the other do dads with pullys and ropes under the petticoats.
I like your ramblings.:-)

"di-sease" as in die."
That makes me shudder JP.
Thanks again.
There seems to be many reasons for this malady.
She thought, at least she could personally control her own destiny in this way? Makes sense.
Thank you for reading..
Some of the poem , the frustrating part, is from personal experience. I have two nieces, that have been "cured" of this disease. They live far from me, so I was not kept up on the treatment...Thanks for the "good capture" that is a very nice term.

Now that I know how to post pictures with the poems in here, (thank you Magherita) I will add them.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2011-05-08 07:11 AM

A compassionate and realistic poem that could have been spoilt by sugar-coating it, but thankfully isn’t.  

I don’t know anyone who has been anorexic or bulemic, but I would imagine that Karen has the key to the basic cause, that being desire for control, though of course, each case, as she says, is individual.  However, even if it isn’t the basic cause in a particular situation, it is most certainly the prevailing condition and thus, that same key could be the key to the cure.  The anorexic and/or bulimic is controlling what they are doing, albeit in a self-destructive way.  Thus, if their path can be diverted to self-survival, they are capable of that same self-control in curing themselves with or without the help of somebody else and/or the appropriate doctors/clinics/whatever institutions.  I feel very strongly about self-control being the key to a whole lot of problems, from personal ones to world ones.  

Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
9 posted 2011-05-08 11:12 AM

Dear Ford,

you treated this theme with compassionate insight and the tragic reality displayed with impressive power before my eyes.

It is a worldwide plague and so many parents feel helpless and desperate when it happens to their daughters.

The media's responsibility is undeniable, but now there are associations which take action. May they be able to change the situation.

In Germany, a famous women's review for example does not use skinny models anymore for its fashion pictures, they use "normal" women in the attempt to contribute to a positive change.

Great work and the picture adds to the power of your words.

Love,
Margherita

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2011-05-08 09:07 PM

Thank You, Owl...
What you said is a very intelectual approach to the problem..and as you said..idin't sugar coat it " it needs to spoken of as raw and bitter.
Thanks you for reading and the review.

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
11 posted 2011-05-08 09:14 PM

Magherita
Thank you for reading again, and this nice reply.

"It is a worldwide plague and so many parents feel helpless and desperate when it happens to their daughters."

What really scares me is that I have seen some information that says that the age of girls with this problem is getting lower, girls in early teens are affected..... :-(

That German womens review is on the right track..there isn't a thing wrong with a "normal" woman.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Heroine Chic

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary