navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Madness in an open red sports car
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Madness in an open red sports car Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2011-04-07 12:20 PM

MADNESS IN AN OPEN RED SPORTS CAR

Out on the open road of life,
The shouting wind and sand that stings,
- Denied to those who do not hear
The call of Life to love and live -
Cut caress, intoxicate
And sing in unison with Soul
To fight the vital fight with joy.

Alone and free, a power that lives
And grows to boundless heights,
Commands, cajoles, exhilarates
To run the risk of meeting Death
In Ecstasy of Speed.

Ignore the dullards of your time
Who crave for you their humdrum
Lives of practicality.
Fear and beauty, joy and pain
Cry and call to them in vain,
But all that they are apt to gain
Is age and sanity.

Owl

This is not about drugs at all, despite the reference to Ecstasy (meaning "ecstasy!") and Speed (meaning "speed!").  When I had had enough of my husband, I used to get into my MGA 1600 and travel on any one of the 8 roads out of the city, Bloemfontein, a small country city in the middle of South Africa and escape what I felt were my constrictions.  In those days, there were no speed limits, and I used to push my little EmZee to her full potential.  

© Copyright 2011 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
1 posted 2011-04-07 01:47 PM

EXCELLENT 'write' !!
Dark Stranger
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-19
Posts 13631
West Coast
2 posted 2011-04-07 02:30 PM

lady OWL...can only imagine you on a Harley...cool stuff lady!
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
3 posted 2011-04-07 02:37 PM

Love it....!  I had a Triumph TR-3 back in the 60's that was like having wings to me...miss the car, understand your feelings...

j.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
4 posted 2011-04-07 02:55 PM

Thank you, Bruce for your spirited reply!  Smiles.

Thank you, Dark Stranger.  Happy giggles - I can imagine me on a Harley too, but also in my EmZee!  Smiles.

Jimmy, thank you.  I know just what you mean.  I miss my EmZee to this day!  I loved everything about her.  It doesn’t feel like 41 years since I wrote that poem!

Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
5 posted 2011-04-08 06:00 PM

Wow, I enjoyed this "madness" greatly, dear Diana... especially because I do love speed too (burned a couple of motors for driving too fast ... !).

Never owned a red sports car, but I put wings on my every car, that's sure! Btw. your exhilarating poem reminded me also of Lise again, as she had been the first to own a car and to get her driver's license and so often we would "climb" our Swiss mountains, racing from one valley to the next ... always singing, yes!

Love and joy.
Margherita

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2011-04-09 06:54 AM

Margherita, I am absolutely delighted at your reply.  I would have loved to have taken you in my MG especially as I know how much you would have loved her.  What wonderful memories of Lise, you have!  I am so glad.  Hold on to them.  I was too saddened at your loss when I replied to your poem about her to say anything intelligible.

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Madness in an open red sports car

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary