navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » That Baby Girl of Mine
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic That Baby Girl of Mine Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere

0 posted 2011-03-07 06:04 PM

There aughta be a law
on account of
she's just too pretty
and too dang smart
silly as they come
and got a voice
sings like a lark
that baby girl
of mine
she opinionated
and stubborn
as she can be
her apple
didn't fall far
from my tree
that baby girl
of mine
only thirteen
but looking
nearly all grown
Lord have mercy
that baby girl
of mine

LGR(C)3/6/11

© Copyright 2011 Lori Grosser Rhoden - All Rights Reserved
faithmairee
since 2011-01-05
Posts 1441
Poe Haven, USA
1 posted 2011-03-07 07:46 PM

I really love this one, Lori.  Very, very cool.  Great wonderful poem!

There must be a poem in here somewhere.

steavenr
Member Elite
since 2003-11-17
Posts 4058

2 posted 2011-03-07 08:35 PM

oh boy, this one touches home...except with me, it's my granddaughter...just turned 13 and look out world...too pretty, too smart, too...too
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
3 posted 2011-03-07 09:41 PM

The trials and tribulations of the parents of a brand new teenager. I have a feeling if the pple didn't fall too far from the tree you are quite aware what you are up against. I have a feeling you and her both will come through the ensuing years just fine.

~ Your writing is one of my guilty pleasures...more art than just words.-- steavenr ~

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
4 posted 2011-03-08 09:22 AM

Thanks Faith,I think it is cool you think its cool My Dad says it is a very good discription of my daughter.

Lori

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2011-03-08 07:22 PM

It's a "framer"!

EmmaRose
since 2011-03-02
Posts 1376
Midwest
6 posted 2011-03-09 10:11 AM

I know this time well from my own experiences as a Mom. Enjoy her, but I can see you already do
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
7 posted 2011-03-09 11:59 AM

oh Lori, I remember when mine was that age! I wrote so much poetry about her. I remember one with a picture of her sticking her tongue out with a hat on backwards. Can't find it now but if I do, I'll repost it. You remind me much of me

Sculpture
since 2011-03-08
Posts 1

8 posted 2011-03-09 12:21 PM

Particularly enjoyed "sings like a lark / that baby girl / of mine". What a beautifully rendered comparison! It evokes baby girl's pristine independence so well. "her apple / didn't fall far / from my tree" is another delightful phrasing; to me, it speaks of how the mother sees a bit of her own tendencies in her growing daughter and wants to sort of recapture that growth by tracing it back to her roots, the origin. And I love how you've constructed the poem: short, vigorous lines that echo the daughter's liveliness, and a certain syntax pattern ("she opinionated") that's reminiscent of the sort of utterances/speech patterns of children. It's my very first comment on this forum, and I'm glad I came across your poem. It's excellent!
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
9 posted 2011-03-09 02:18 PM

Sunshine! I do believe that's an idea

Lori

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » That Baby Girl of Mine

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary