navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Look at Me
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Look at Me Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2011-03-05 09:37 PM

I'm only thirteen
yet here I sit contemplating
slipping into the cold, dark water
look at me
how has life beat me down
at such an early age
to give me these gloomy thoughts
no one understands
really they don't understand
my parents don't
they think they do
but they have no idea
maybe at some point in their life
they understood
no more
they're more about
"being all they can be"
to take more than a second look at me
look at me
teachers that don't teach
preachers that don't preach
boyfriends who cheat
girlfriends who let them
my grandmother told me
girls of thirteen used to not be allowed
to date
in her day
maybe they had something back then
now we have nurseries in school
twelve-year-olds have babies
look at me
I'm going to be a mother
or not
thirteen-years-old
I'm going to have a baby
my goodness, I'm a baby myself
look at me
what to do
abortion is not in the cards
at the same time
what will I do with a baby
I know
the government will take care of me
and the baby
I just can't do that
I've not lived
one mistake should not ruin my life
so I sit on this pier
thinking about solving everybody's problem
and just slide into the water
look at me

©March 5, 2011 / Jerry Pat Bolton

~ Never did I feel more devoted to my wife than after biting the wild garlic of treachery ~

[This message has been edited by JerryPat2 (03-05-2011 11:06 PM).]

© Copyright 2011 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
1 posted 2011-03-05 09:54 PM

wow, that's tough. And sad. A reality many face, including me all those years ago but sure glad I didn't slide in.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2011-03-05 10:18 PM

It appears you came out of it okay. That is good to hear. Many do not. Thank you, passing shadows.

~ Never did I feel more devoted to my wife than after biting the wild garlic of treachery ~

steavenr
Member Elite
since 2003-11-17
Posts 4058

3 posted 2011-03-05 11:01 PM

you have such an uncanny ability to be so graphic with your words that when you paint a picture a reader like me might not wish to even think about, I find myself drawn to your canvass...excellent write on so many levels
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2011-03-05 11:08 PM

After reading your comments, steavenr, I am doubly grateful that you chose to stop and read, and comment. I understand that I have a take no prisoners attitude when it come to writing poetry, and sometimes it is difficult to take. Thank you for your input.

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
5 posted 2011-03-06 03:22 AM

Whew, that's dark Jerry but oh so truthful.
Makes one feel sad at the decline in the moral state of our society.
Day care centers where people who don't really love children that don't belong to them are caring for them 8 - 10 hrs. a day.
Parents come home exhausted and many don't spend the quality time needed with their children.
Things like this poem of yours grow out of our society today.
I can blame greedy mismanaged governments for a lot of it.
Look at the cost of a gallon of gas.

Great work Jerry!

Eric

true love never looks after it's own interests

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
6 posted 2011-03-06 06:51 AM

I think there is a lot of blame to go around, Eric. So many people say where is the deadbeat father of the child. I'll tell you where he is, for the most part, alone just as she is. Just because he was capable of making a baby does not mean that he is capable of raising one. The answer lies in the "moral" category I feel. It used to be shameful for an unmarried girl/woman to become pregnant, but now it is actually looked upon in much the same way as coming down with the measles.

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
7 posted 2011-03-06 09:20 AM

You truly got inside the skin of that 13 year-old pregnant girl. It is beyond me why some young teens think of it as a badge of honour. It's the 'in' thing to do in some communities. (I was recalling a town in New England where the girls planned to get pregnant).
Then there are those young girls like the one one you so poignantly portrayed in your poem. It near brought tear to my eyes for all those who unwittingly find themselves in that position.
A powerful write that evoked powerful emotions in this reader.

Linda

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
8 posted 2011-03-06 10:03 AM

Hello, Linda, and thank you for giving me your thoughts about the poem. I remember the "planned" pregnancies. What a shame, but the news stories I saw about it the reporters were almost grabbing their hands and lifting them in the air in a major "win" move. Disgusting. I don't think we should brand girls with the letter "S" for slut when they get pregnant, but I do believe we need to teach them the consequences of their actions before the pregnancies can even occur.

faithmairee
since 2011-01-05
Posts 1441
Poe Haven, USA
9 posted 2011-03-07 10:51 AM

this is a really sad well written poem...nice work, JerryPat

There must be a poem in here somewhere.

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
10 posted 2011-03-07 11:42 AM

Jerry you captured this so well I'm just relieved you didn't decide to take it in the direction of those girls who throw their newborns in the trash. Your gut wrenching abilities are powerful.
Lori

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
11 posted 2011-03-07 12:35 PM

Thank you Faith. I appreciate your kind words.

Lori, I actually thought about taking it there, but decided against it. People already think I'm much too dark in my poetry. Thanks for being here.

~ I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die ~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Look at Me

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary