navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » shadows
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic shadows Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria

0 posted 2009-07-18 09:49 PM

Shadows

Giving thought to certain links
That will tie us all together,
Some might say that it’s oxygen
And some might say the weather.

But watching TV the other night
With TV host Andrew Daddo,
It quite suddenly came to me
That everyone has a shadow.

Every person on this earth,
As well as every plant and tree,
Along with each bird and animal
They leave a shadow all can see.

For when the sun is shining bright,
Our shadow is quite plain
And even on a moonlit night,
A faint shadow still remains.

Some day I will no shadow make
And this may make you wonder,
But it happens to each one of us
When we’re all placed six feet under.

Sometimes on a cloudy winter’s day
When the sun can not break through,
You’ll find our shadow has deserted us
And perhaps leaves us feeling blue.

And now as I have older grown
It becomes very plain for all to see,
And all my friends now realize
I’m but a shadow of the man I used to be.

Lindsay

© Copyright 2009 Lindsay P Wilson - All Rights Reserved
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
1 posted 2009-07-18 10:50 PM

And that's still quite a shadow, Lindsay.
I like to think that though we grow old we still have a "Peter Pan Shadow", just waiting for us to rejoin it.
                              Ida

OldPoet
since 2009-06-30
Posts 112
The Left Coast
2 posted 2009-07-18 11:25 PM

Well composed in elegiac form. Good one!

"And every time I've held a rose
It seems I only felt the thorns,
And so it goes" - Billy Joel

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
3 posted 2009-07-18 11:40 PM

LindsayP - my friend, you're a great man, and not just a shadow, for only the shadow knows...

BC

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
4 posted 2009-07-19 12:56 PM

Dear Lindsay... I think your shadow is a very special one indeed.. great writing here, I really enjoyed reading it.

love and hugs
Roniece xx

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
5 posted 2009-07-19 07:01 AM

Lindsay, you are overwhelming, I was griped by the powerful idea of the poem, this story of shadow, how true you are, thanks for sharing one of your best poems...

yann

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
6 posted 2009-07-19 07:16 AM

Beautiful write about your perception of the shadow ...

Life is transformation. Death is rebirth imo into a dimension where we shall experience light without shadows, where there will be no duality. But how could we appreciate it, if we did not know the opposite?

On our Life Path we have some difficulty in accepting to grow old, but it's only the flesh, the spirit remains forever young as you so beautifully show with your great poems always.

Thank you for the thought provoking piece and for allowing me to express my opinion.

Love and hugs.
Margherita

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
7 posted 2009-07-19 11:34 AM

It's curious what can trigger thoughts that  incite us to write. Your thoughts have now got me thinking! My Shadow and I are constant companions ~ I just can't see her all the time, but I know that she's there! ~ and I'll be taking her to my grave! lol

Lindsay, in some ways, as we age we become a shadow of what we once were, but in my books, dear friend, your shadow is still magnificent!

A fine penning!

Love and a big warm hug,
Linda

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
8 posted 2009-07-19 02:54 PM

Lindsay,

What were you - a giant?  Cause your shadow still looms large on the PiP pages.  I really do love this poem.  It is heart-warming, poignant and makes me think about my own shadow.

I guess we take things for granted sometimes, even our shadows.

Alison

Billie Cullimore
since 2009-03-27
Posts 315

9 posted 2009-07-19 07:04 PM

Dear lindsay;

Your heartfelt poem reminded me of a little poem I learned as a child.  " I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me, and what can be the use of it is more than I can see." It is cute but not as warm and understanding as yours.

Good work.

Billie C.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
10 posted 2009-07-19 07:14 PM

Lindsay,

An intriguing poem you've written, but I'm not at all surprised.  Nope!  Not once have I read anything you've written that I haven't admired your skill and your interesting perceptions.  

Contrarily, I think, like a well-worn tennis shoe or pair of faded jeans, we become better with age!

A pleasure to read you once again.

misce

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
11 posted 2009-07-19 10:28 PM

Dear Ida, I can always count on you for a kind response. Thank you my friend.

Old Poet, It's good to see your name again in my reponses, welcome to PIP. Many thanks.

Bill my old mate, you flatter me, I'm certainly not a great man, just a very ordinary one who likes to write poetry. thanks.

My dear sweet Roniece your respsonse are always much appreciated, thank you heaps.

Yann my friend, you know when I wrote that poem I thought it was quite mediocre so I'm
so pleased at your comment, many thanks.

Dear Margherita I'm so glad that you do express your opinion. It is always so much appreciated, Thank you dear Lady.

My sweet Canadian Princess, Linda you always say the nicest things and I'm sure I don't deserve all those accolades that you write about me, but thank you my friend.

Now my sweet Alaskan Alison, you are another one who gives me unwarranted great responses and I sincerely thank my dear

Dear Billie, I thank you sincerely for your kind and generous comment, thank you so much

Misce my dear, I thank you too for your very generous response, it is always appreciated and thanks again.

Lindsay

WTBAKELAR
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2008-09-09
Posts 1089
Utah, USA
12 posted 2009-07-22 10:09 AM

Lindsay,  I don't have much time in here anymore, but I always try to make sure I look up the ones I so enjoy reading and try to comment.
You my friend are on that must read list and I am never disapointed.

This poem caught me off gaurd. Such depth and wisdom, and inner perception.  I love it when I read something that makes me stop and think, a simple thing like a shadow with such power and meaning, shared in verse.

Very well done,
Tracey

The answer is always NO, Until the question is asked.

Heart2Heart
since 2009-05-15
Posts 738
Scotland/Norway
13 posted 2009-07-22 10:41 AM

Most impressive and wise words.  Your poems are always a treasure to read Lindsay.
Hey you still look a handsome hunk of a man to me
Katriona

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
14 posted 2009-07-22 09:40 PM

Tracey my good friend, it great to see I have a regular reader of my poems who makes the effort to post a response, thank you

Dear Katriona, I think you must be wearing your rose tinted glasses dear Lady, but I do appreciate you kind words, Love to you.

Lindsay

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » shadows

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary