navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » A Quilter's Block Undone
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Quilter's Block Undone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH

0 posted 2009-07-09 01:53 AM

A Quilter’s Block Undone

From across the needle’s tip,
Attached a thread to eye,
Awaiting the feel of fabric,
The pattern in which the squares will lie.

The creation’s want continues
As no ideas will come to head,
Frustration is the level,
Crushing ideas down like weighted lead.

The just-sewness corrupts my visions
Of where my threads might tread
With Left-blank decisions,
Pressured art from within my head.

From oil paintings to that of fabric,
my thoughts share creation’s dread
  lacking of self  to fill the space,
The space of legacies said.

But the making is approaching,
The doing must be done,
The letting of expression
As felt by needle joining thumb.

Then, the hands shall work together
to move each shape in space
The color shall wheel the magic,
A smile upon a face.

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (07-10-2009 11:10 PM).]

© Copyright 2009 Cathy Farmer - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2009-07-09 07:57 AM

Oh, this is a wonderful read, on so many levels.
I never did succeed in quilting, started but never finished two projects. They only got completed in my head. LOL.
But maybe my garden designs are a kind of living quilt, created with shovels, rakes and scoops of compost (as opposed to needles and thread on fabric) before the plants and stepping stones fill in the blank spaces in a matrix of variegated shapes, textures and colors.
I'm keeping this poem, thank you.

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2009-07-09 08:56 AM

Dear Misc', I deeply enjoyed your words, the quilt creation inspired you to create contemporaneously a wonderful poem. Like Kacy, I love quilt, but haven't done any on my own. But I have a friend who appreciates if I give her rests of fabric that she might use.

Oh, yes, dear Kacy, your garden project demands a similar skill ... combination of colors, size of the plants etc.

Most beautiful, dear Misc!

Love,
Margherita

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
3 posted 2009-07-09 09:08 AM

Sometimes its fun to just let the  quilt happen and not worry so much about a pattern...or as I have done with some  students as a fun activity, I let them  design one square each and then put the quilt together for them. It turned out wonderful. ( was based on "The Keeping Quilt" a story about different cultures)

M

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2009-07-09 09:10 AM

I imagine that quilting a new pattern
is sometimes just as difficult as
forming new thoughts to trickle down
onto a page.

Is there not an artist who wonders
at the blank...and dreams to fulfill
some need to color wildly?

I've missed you!

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
5 posted 2009-07-09 11:58 AM

I LOVED this one! ~ I've bee wondering where you have been. Your poetry has been missed p.s~ What grade do you teach Maureen!?

ARCTIC WIND

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
6 posted 2009-07-09 12:01 PM

Oh, my dear Rapunzel, you veritably put your blood into this yarn. (Sorry, I know, that's a groaner! lol)

Your creativity is expressed in countless ways, my friend! I give you an A for this quilting B. Ooops! Another groaner!

Loveya!
Linda

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
7 posted 2009-07-09 12:02 PM

Cathy,

I am going to have to share this with my best friend.  She's a quilter and I am the fortunate one who has received three of her quilts.  One is a small wall hanging, the next is a lap quilt and the last was a drop-dead gorgous quilt for my bed.  

Quilting is such a maginificent art form.  I never fail to be amazed and impressed by each one.

I am sure that there are lots of pricks and drops of blood spilled in the process of creation.

Thank you for this poem.

Alison

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
8 posted 2009-07-09 04:39 PM

Kacy,

What a neat comparison--a quilt to a garden!
The idea of it reminds me of 3-dimensional tic-tac-toe or chess!  To be able to deal with color, texture, space, shapes, price, availability, growing period,  etc. and pull it all together from ground to sky and from foreground to background must be challenging! And then... there's consideration of medicinal purpose and habitat!   Whew!   To me, now that's a challenge!   I bet your garden is beautiful, offering a sense of spirituality!

I enjoyed your hearing from you.  Have a terrific day.

hugs,
cathy

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
9 posted 2009-07-09 04:58 PM

Margherita,

It's great that you share your fabric with a lucky friend.  I bet she appreciates new swatches of design.

I remember piecing a long string of quilt squares together with my grandma when I was about five.  I liked it then!  When I was about eleven, I tried to piece together small corduroy octagonals into a pillow.  The idea was good, but... maybe a little over-ambitious! My appetite for design is much greater than time availability.  (Probably, I'll get back to the natural fabric of things when I retire someday.  Until then, I just pack up as many ideas and techniques as I can.)

I can imagine you would be a great narrative quilter, piecing together a story to pass on or illustrating your beautiful poetry.

hugs,
cathy        

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
10 posted 2009-07-09 05:28 PM

M~

That's what I like my art to do--to just happen!  That's the stuff I like to keep!  And it seems that the more trouble I have with something (those happy little accidents!), the better it turns out! Still, I worry too much about my skill level.

My love for art has intensified since I was asked to teach it, but as I was not a fine arts major, I've had to learn a lot on my own, and  when I attend workshops, usually I'm embarrassed to create in front of people who've studied and taught art for years.  

I attended the workshop today after a lot of apprehension, but now I think it's going to be fun!  We're supposed to create a figurative type quilt describing someone...Hmmmm, this should be interesting..  (Better not tell the person who he/she is!  Hm... could have a little extra fun with this one!)

Thanks for sharing the book, The Keeping Quilt, with me! I'll have to check it out!

It's been a pleasure to hear from you again.  I'm glad to hear you're still working in the schools and doing such fun activities with your students.

Cathy

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (07-10-2009 09:49 PM).]

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
11 posted 2009-07-09 05:40 PM

Sunshine,

"I imagine that quilting a new pattern
is sometimes just as difficult as
forming new thoughts to trickle down
onto a page."

I bet so, but I think I would like the math and the problem solving that would be required to design one... I imagine you would, too.   We just need a long, uninterrupted vacation to do the things we'd like, eh?  I've often thought
I'd like to design clothing, by seaming bits of color and line together on a manikin.

Is there not an artist who wonders
at the blank...and dreams to fulfill
some need to color wildly?

YES!!! The artist in you reads loud and clear!!!  You hit the hammer on the nail!

Thank you for all your thought provoking responses.  (I've missed you, too!)

hugs,
cathy

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
12 posted 2009-07-10 09:52 PM

Artic Wind,

Thanks for your enthusiastic kindness.  It's a pleasure to hear from you again.  Have a super week, AW...

Cathy

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
13 posted 2009-07-10 10:36 PM

to my Earthy Angel,

You and your groaners!  What would we do without you!   You tickle me!

hugzels,
                       Rapunzel    

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
14 posted 2009-07-10 10:49 PM

Alison,

You lucky lady!  Gee, I wish I had a generous quilter friend like that!  She's a keeper!

I guess I didn't realize how artistic quilting had become!  I now compare the thread to a pencil and the swatches of fabric to paint!  Cathy Jeffers is our instructor.  Her work is breath-taking!

It's good hearing from you again!  I'll see you at your post soon!

cathy  

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
15 posted 2009-07-11 02:02 AM

You just cracked me up with your

"hugzels,
Rapunzel"  

ha ha ha

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
16 posted 2009-07-12 06:01 PM

mY EARTHY aNGEL,

OH no!  It distresses me greatly that you have become one of those who have cracked, but if it is any consolation, it is good to know "UP"ward cracked you've been!  LOL

hugzels,
Rapunzel

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
17 posted 2009-08-12 05:26 PM

I grew up ducking under the quilt frames hanging in our house and my grandmother's... and now, a quilt that came off those frames is one of my most prized possessions.

Unfortunately, they didn't pass on their talent? *puzzled look* I've made several quilt blocks... painstakingly *G*. But only one survives... and undoing is harder than doing! *S*

I enjoyed this a lot! *S*

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
18 posted 2009-08-12 06:13 PM

my dear friend, suthern,

You are just the dose of smile I needed! Thank you!   It's so good to hear from you!  I have to contradict you, though, because if you piece quilts together like word, sound, and thought, then I would imagine your quilt to be absolutely fantastic, full of stories and wonderment.

Have a terrific week!

misce'

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
19 posted 2009-08-13 08:11 AM

I seem to have a compulsion to unravel every stitch. LOL That one block that survives does so only because it was my contribution to a remembrance quilt made for a friend's son... out of my hands, I couldn't unravel it. LOL

So if you ever need some scraps??? LOL

I saw on another poem that you'll be on here less because of work... just as I found a bit of daylight. *sigh* Hurry back, lady... maybe one of these days the work gods will be kind to both of us simultaneously. *S*

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
20 posted 2009-08-13 08:20 AM

Yes, it would be marvelous if the work gods would coordinate that!  Maybe we ought to do a "work-dance" so they get the picture, eh?  

And your quiltage, I love every stitch of the story!  I bet your son's friend loves it!

Be well, miss suthern, dream well.

~ miss misce

Callista
since 2008-10-05
Posts 63
USA
21 posted 2009-08-16 01:48 AM

Not undone. Aptly completed! You show the yearning "creation's want"  and satisfaction "just sewness". Then the artist greatest fear ".."lacking of self to fill the space.."
Cal

Oklahoma Rose
since 2008-02-28
Posts 1586
Oklahoma USA
22 posted 2009-08-16 10:07 PM

I've tried many things. But, I have never tried making a quilt. Truthfully, it sounds like something I would like to make.
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
23 posted 2009-08-18 10:53 PM

Callista.

You're very observant!   I'm glad you got all of that out of this!  Have a super week!

misce'

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
24 posted 2009-08-18 10:55 PM

Oklahoma Rose,

There must be something rewarding in quilt-making.  Some many people actually finish them!
Teehee.  Wish I could settle down and finish something!

It was nice to hear from you again.

~misce'

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » A Quilter's Block Undone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary