navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Gray
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gray Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Yoinn
since 2007-08-16
Posts 649
Michigan

0 posted 2009-06-28 10:00 AM

Gray

My conscience
tapping, tapping,
like a single finger on a window pane,
reminds me of the nature
of what I do.
Like my mother who would zip my coat
all the way to the top,
It tells me
what is right, what is wrong
what is black, what is white.

But conscience, but mother,
what of the grayness between,
where wrongful deeds feel so good.
Where good intentions and correct decisions
may damage and destroy.

Must I forever weigh my actions
for the correct moral shading,
all the while my conscience
tapping, tapping.

Yoin

© Copyright 2009 Tim W. - All Rights Reserved
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
1 posted 2009-06-28 11:21 AM

To ruminate, is to pitch coal into an ebony abyss.  Deep and thoughtful write.  A fantastic breeze, to clear away what is behind.  
brneyedgrly
since 2009-06-08
Posts 1125
nowhere and everywhere
2 posted 2009-06-28 07:00 PM

But conscience, but mother,
what of the grayness between,
where wrongful deeds feel so good.
Where good intentions and correct decisions
may damage and destroy.

~yes, yo...

this is where we get stuck...always listen to your conscience, tapping, tapping...not everyone has one

: )

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 posted 2009-06-28 07:15 PM

Yo Yoinn,

It's always best to do no harm.

Bobby

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2009-06-28 07:24 PM

Yes, you must forever listen to the conscience, its tapping is a gentle way to make you feel good, really good. And make feel others good as well.

Great write about a significant topic.

Love,
Margherita

Yoinn
since 2007-08-16
Posts 649
Michigan
5 posted 2009-06-29 11:39 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts on this subject and my poem.

I don't think you can just say "listen to your concscience, it knows best" Our conscience can be formed by many different influences. If these influences are askew or misaligned then our conscience is askew or misaligned. If one's childhood is abusive or severely oppressive then the conscience is also oppressed. Here is a example. Jane grows up with overly oppressive parents. She is taught that a women main role in life is to be a wife and support her husband. Sex is not to be talked about and your duty to give up to your husband. Jane is discouraged and even punished for admiting any desire of a sexual nature. She is taught she shouldn't pursue a career or should even think about raising a child on her own. Marriage is what she should seek and then to never ever think about divorce.
   Now, when Jane grows up, she does have a these desire's to have a career and be a independent women. She does want to be a assertive women in control of her life, both sexualy and financially. But when she starts to direct her life along these lines, her conscience that was developed by her early years with her parents warns her that it is wrong.
   See my point? I guess what I am to long winded to say briefly, lol, is what if your conscience is a yoke of oppression instead of a guiding light? then the gray area becomes very confusing.

Yoin

[This message has been edited by Yoinn (06-29-2009 12:10 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Gray

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary