navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » The Wind on the Prairie
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Wind on the Prairie Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
GBride
since 2009-07-02
Posts 538

0 posted 2009-09-12 10:19 PM

We live on the prairie and the prairie runs flat, as flat as the top of a table mat.
There is nothing to stop the wind in its path, there is nothing to stop the wind in its path.
The wind runs in its path and gets wild, much like the temperament of wild blooded child.
No, there is nothing to stop the wind in its path, in the rain you will get a quick bath.
The wind is quite wild it runs up and down, back and forth, in and out, like a bad tempered clown.
One thing is true, do not get caught in its path, oh, do not, it is wild, do the math.
If the wind makes a sound like a train rushing down, please get out of its path.
If you look on the hill and see the trees standing quite still, and the sky turns greenish yellow.
You will feel a great thrill, then get down the hill, and let out a loud, cold  bellow.
“Please everyone near, run away from here, and find a place down more mellow.”
“Please everyone near, the wind has no fear, and will not shed a tear at your trouble”
“In fact it has only one desire, and that’s to conspire to reduce everything here to a rubble.”
Oh, when the wind gets wild like a ill tempered child will you please get out of its path.
When the wind whips around like a cruel, evil clown will you please get out of its path.
Oh, the when the wind makes a wail, like dog chasing its tail, please get out of its path.
When the grasses grow tall, there are out in it all they are buffeted, bullied, and bashed.
They swoon all around to the wind’s plaintive sound, and torn up, and smothered, and slashed.
They look like the sea with the waves crashing free, and none envy their fate.
There’s no use at all to fear their mean fall, and to tremble with hands on the gate.
For the forces of nature, have no legislature, and cannot be controlled by the state
So except what is true, and don’t get blue, keep hiding and don’t be late.

Gretchen and I will no longer run downstairs to the basement and hide in the southwest corner with a battery powered radio and some water in a jug where we used to take the children during the storm. Listening to the sirens wail a plaintive song. We have decided to sit on the back porch (which faces west, the direction tornados come from) she with her cigarette and I with my pipe and we will meet our fate if mother nature wants us, she can come and get us. Hey, maybe we will meet Dorothy and Toto. Wouldn’t that be a blast.  Then again, we might run downstairs at the last moment.

© Copyright 2009 GBride - All Rights Reserved
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
1 posted 2009-09-12 10:44 PM

GB, I could feel the power of the winds escalating as I read along!

As for your comment at the end, I understand the fatalism ~ and in a way, the romanticism ~ of sitting on your porch when the winds come whipping across the plains, but I do hope that you and your wife will decide to seek refuge when the nature's fury was to descend upon you!

Love 'n a big hug,

Linda

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2009-09-14 10:52 AM

Wow, you have put such power into this literally breathtaking write, that I feel like I must go hide ....

I bet you run into safety in the last moment!

Say hi to Gretchen from Margretchen (my Mom sometimes called me like this).

Love,
Margherita

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » The Wind on the Prairie

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary