navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Mary Oliver
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Mary Oliver Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!

0 posted 2009-08-01 03:03 AM

I thought I didn't like her
I was in the wrong place
at the wrong time
when I tried to read her
poems and now I know

I was wrong

How am I going to admit this
(to Rob?)

-

Alison

-

Rob, tonight at the bookstore I was thinking of you and I picked up a copy of Mary Oliver's "New and Selected Poems - Volume One" - and, well, I bought it because I liked it a lot.  And, as I left the store I was still thinking of you.

A

© Copyright 2009 Alison - All Rights Reserved
Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
1 posted 2009-08-01 03:13 AM

Oooh, you're caught! I'm also a fan, but it took me a little while.
moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

2 posted 2009-08-01 08:40 AM

Well there ya go Alison   I am so glad.  Now I can admit that there are some of her poems that I struggle with a bit, as being a little too esoteric, but what I love about her is the way she can say things without saying them, if you see what I mean; so maybe that it's simply that I need a few more years to really understand what seems out of reach right now.

I remember thinking that it was strange that you didn't like her, mainly because she is such an incredible observer of the natural world.  And I know how much you love nature.  But what makes her stunning for me is what she can do with those images.  A lot of people can write well about nature, and be very inventive and descriptive, but it takes genius of the type that Ted Hughes had and Mary Oliver has, to use those images and descriptions to reveal new things about ourselves.

Anyway it was fortunate I saw your thread - nothing short of the title Mary Oliver and a chance to rabbit on about her would have got a post this long out of me .  In view of, uh, recent events, I'm taking an indefinite break from anything other than infrequent "lite" comments. I'll be over at Maree's place trying to do some sensitive critique thingies and chatting about poetry in general. If you don't know where I mean and you want to, ask Karen.  Meantime, it's been nice talking to you in the past - we may not always have agreed on everything, but you are a kind and tolerant person   And yay! you even like Oliver now, so that must make you near perfect.

Take care.

Rob  

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
3 posted 2009-08-01 09:43 AM

she is perfect Rob!

Ali-girl.. lovely gifting here xxx RDB

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2009-08-01 12:01 PM

We change ~ Our perspectives change! ~ and thank goodness! If we stayed in our self-limiting boxes and hung on to our previously conceived notions, there would be no room to grow! I know that I'm a proverbial work in progress and what 'works' for me today ~ May not work for me tomorrow! ~ And what 'worked' for me yesterday may not work for me today!

I enjoyed reading your thoughts ~ and those of moonbeam!

Linda

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 posted 2009-08-01 12:13 PM

Yo dear Alison,

Mary Oliver's "A Poetry Handbook" is excellent reading.  It tells you how it's done.

Love Bobby

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

6 posted 2009-08-01 05:07 PM

Ah Bobby, my second favourite poetry textbook; now I know why you are such a competent poet!
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
7 posted 2009-08-01 05:30 PM

Hi Alison, nice work. I like most of Mary Oliver's poetry, I guess because it is rather esoteric. The Journey is my favorite because I  can relate.
                                 Ida

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
8 posted 2009-08-01 06:04 PM

Yes, our choices change with time, you say it very eloquently, dear Alison.

I read a few things by this acclaimed Poetess, and I would say I don't dislike her.

Love,
Margherita

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
9 posted 2009-08-01 09:45 PM

Aha my dear Alison I can see you making

many more trips to that library and not just to pick out books, good luck, love.

Lindsay

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
10 posted 2009-08-01 09:48 PM

Sorry Alison, when I read your poem again
I realized I had read it wrong and Rob wasn't at the library. love

Lindsay

Callista
since 2008-10-05
Posts 63
USA
11 posted 2009-08-02 12:10 PM

I benefited form her "A Poetry Handbook" when I first started. It might seem a bit elementary, but I found the poetry examples vey well chosen and helpful.

"The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line.."

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
12 posted 2009-08-02 12:51 PM

Karou, funny how that works sometimes, isn't it?  xoxoxo ~ Alison

-

Yes, I do understand what you are saying.  I also really like how she says it without saying it.  I also understand why you brought her to my attention - I am a lover of nature and she is a beautiful poet who writes of nature as naturally as anyone has.  I don't know why I didn't like her before - maybe it was the poetry of hers that I was reading.  However, last night I was captured by her and now when I read her - I'll think of you.

If you have time sometime, drop me an email if you would.  I don't want you wandering too far away - I like having you around and reading your thoughts.  I understand why you stepped back, but I will miss your contributions.

Thank you for brining Mary Oliver into my thoughts and reading life.  See - you do make an impact.

Disagreeing with you has never been an issue with me.  You have an intelligent mind and want to learn things. When I get off my high horse, I like to learn too.  I enjoyed our discussions here.

Sincerely,
Alison

-

Thank you, RDB.

Ali

-

Thank you, Linda .. yes, growth is part of learning.

xoxoxo
Alison

-

Bobby,

I'll have to check it out.

xoxoxo
A

-

Ida,

I'll look up that one and take a read.  Thank you, my friend.

xoxoxo
Alison

-

Don't love her though?  I love your comments, Margherita.  You are very inciteful.

xoxoxo
Alison

-

Hey Lindsay,

I'd definitely be hanging out at the library if he was there to talk to.  Thank you my friend.

xoxoxo
Alison

-

Callista,

I will have to check that book out.  I need all the help that I can get.  Thank you for the suggestion and for reading.

Alison

Laverne Pacquire
since 2009-11-15
Posts 96

13 posted 2010-03-06 07:06 PM

this is cute..a little strange to me....
but mary oliver is a little strange to me...

Thank you for you comments on my poem

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Mary Oliver

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary