navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Clad in Dreams revized
Open Poetry #43
Post A Reply Post New Topic Clad in Dreams revized Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
Where no tyranny is tolerable

0 posted 2008-07-10 05:55 PM

This is a tweaked version of the one on OP42.  It took two hours until I was satisfied with it! ...
The organs of eyesight
are bundles of specialized structures
that undergo photochemical reactions
when struck by radiant energy
corresponding to the visible wavelengths of light.
But the organs of eyesight
are not the organs of vision.
The organs of vision with which only humans have been gifted,
are metaphorically seated as the eyes of the heart.
The lens through which we see, not merely look through,
the powerful instrument through which we apprehend
the incomparable beauty in each other, in Nature,
in the vastness of creation far beyond the Moon and stars,
the lens that can even show us the invisible within,
is the lens of imagination.
Imagination is more powerful than any optical instrument,
because it reaches inward to illuminate our inner spaces,
and makes us something we call Soul and Spirit.

Van ghov didn't have much to work with,
a living hell of mania and depression.
But he painted for us what he SAW,
not what anyone could merely look at.
He painted for others he would never live to meet.
He painted for those of us who do not have eyesight.
He painted for those of us who can not hear.
He painted for those of us who can read Braille.
He painted to help us dream of invisible things.
He painted and painted and painted.
He painted till the illness took his life,
and left for Don Mc-clean to finish
what he tried to say;
so that now we understand ...
Midnitesun understands, eh Midnitesun?
What would it be like to view
pack ice drifting placidly in the Beauford sea,
glittering in a never setting Sun?
I do not claim special powers
that others can not have or learn to use.
There are those, both blind an sighted,
who don't seem to care anything
about what is going on around them.

I'm pretty much the same as everybody else,
and at times, myself, don't care.
But there are those who look, but do not see.
There are those who hear, but do not listen.
There are those who feel, but do not touch.
There are those who buy you gifts, but do not care.
And there are those who say the words,
but do not mean them.

When you go about as Nature made you,
I know that you are clad in dreams,
dreams as big as the sky
and airy as gossamer and clouds.
Rh sees me held
infolded in the arms of nature, and she painted me.
I don't know how to paint ... ...
and Ali understands too, Eh ali.
I can see that you are dressed only in night dreams.
Can you see me dressed in mine?

© Copyright 2008 The Sun - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2008-07-10 08:10 PM

"Van ghov didn't have much to work with,
a living hell of mania and depression.
But he painted for us what he SAW,
not what anyone could merely look at."

Exactly. Vincent captured far more than the night sky in his famous Starry Night painting.
He painted with intensity his emotional reaction to the vastness and splendor of the heavens, the movement of the stars and planets, and brought the grandeur of life itself into close focus.  Few artists are able to do this with the drama and clarity of Vincent van Gogh.
Thank you again, for sharing what you are SEEING.  

Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
2 posted 2008-07-11 08:53 AM

But Midnite, how can a still shot or painting capture movement?
A movie camera captures movement by showing a series of still shots at the rate of 18 or 24 shots per second, so that the viewer sees what looks like a moving picture.
Like I once heard you can look through a picket fence if you drive past it at a certain speed.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2008-07-13 08:31 PM

Jaime, in van Gogh paintings and sketches, the wheat, flowers, grasses, and cypress trees literally bend with the force of the wind. The black crows flying over the wheat fields appear to be in motion....that is how good Vincent was as an artist, that he could simulate movement with his masterful brush strokes. It was the same with his people, they walked, and were 'animated,' not stiff and cold, unless that was the effect he was striving to achieve. It's difficult to explain, but think of how your mind 'sees' the movement of the sun and moon, and it might make more sense.  Then think about how words alone can depict movement.  
Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
4 posted 2008-07-14 04:21 PM

Okay maybe I shouldn't have even started this, but I did, so lunch is just going to have to wait until I get this reverie out of me.
Maybe this has to do with how an image or photograph on a film or canvass, which appears static in that the painting or chemicals impressed on the paper do not undergo  changes apparent to the viewer, while in the viewer's mind and imagination, everything is flow and movement, so that an image suggests an immediate train of thought to the viewer and the viewed atributes the imagined wordless images in the viewer's mind to the painting itself.  In other words, it's not what it is, it's what you THINK it is.  Whereas to someone less perceptive it is just a dirty splotchy canvas and wipe up all that stuff and throw it in the trash.  But through this medium the artist and viewer or reader communicate directly through imagination. so that the artist and viewer actually have a personal soul connect with each other that words can never hope to describe----well wait a minute ... Don Mc-clain describes it ...
Yet when I first heard the song as a teenager, it meant absolutely nothing to me and I couldn't understand or misheard the lyrics.  But now, because I like to find the lyrics of curious songs, one day I looked up the words, and saw it was a painting he was talking about, and the import of the words could not have hit me as a teenager going deaf.  As I read I elaborated imaginary details which probably weren't there, or maybe they were.
And each time I read or thought about the words or heard the song, I could imagine more and more details.
"flaming flowers that brightly blaze" made me imagine flowers so red, so impossibly brilliant and painfully bright to the eye that they seemed to make the very air catch fire.
"Swirling clouds of violet haze" makes me imagine feeling something like gossamer bubbling an churning and swirling around under my hands, something animated with its own energy and life.
"Colors changing hue" makes me think of musical notes and tones that continually meld and morph into and out of each other as if a smoothly flowing swirls of sounds in a fantastically complicated symphony which, because of the ear damage since then, I can no longer hear the subtleties and fine distinctions between different sounds.
Weathered faces lined with pain" represents the pain that a long life can inflect upon the human spirit.  The "lines and weathered skin" of old age, and perhaps the cynicism.
Every line causes similar reveries in me, and if I didn't have to eat and take out the trash, I think I could write on and on and ...  While I can't yet say that now I understand, I do want to understand and maybe I am beginning to understand something.
Did Van Gho know he was trying to describe something to a blind person?
Did Mc-clean know he was singing for someone who could only hear music in a limited way?
I feel so very blessed that I am here, and that I can view the stunning land and skyscapes of Ali and Midnitesun which I will never actually visually behold myself ...
Maybe I just ended up inadvertently answering the very question I originally posted, the one I thought only sighted people could explain?
O dear, O dear ...
Now I got to stop and "make" something.
maybe I can "make" eggs?
Well you need a chicken first before you can "make" eggs ...
(Steps over to the sink to "make" some water).

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2008-07-14 08:04 PM

Oh, how much you really see with your heart, imagination and keen mind!
The world of art is dynamic and interactive. Painters, sculptors, writers, dancers, singers, musicians...all artists receive inspiration from the surrounding physical world as well as the intangible 'spirit' realm. You, are an artist, dear Jaime. You create images and scenarios for the reader with words. McLean does it with lyrics and music (and may well create in other mediums as well), van Gogh did it with pencils, pens and paintbrushes.
More on this later....
Meanwhile, no, chickens are not necessary. All birds lay eggs, so a duck or goose egg would do nicely. But I wouldn't mess with a momma ostrich or peahen no matter how nice their eggs might taste! (Insert laughter here)

Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
6 posted 2008-07-14 10:11 PM

Midnite, I have come to my senses about making eggs, and decided to make egg beaters, that is, by miking them in the mike with some tomatoes I made and some veg patties which, even though they were made at the store, I made them in the mike.  I decided not to make water after all, but made iced tea.  I didn't have to make the ice because the ice was already made in the store. Does all this make a kind of sense?  So, now that I have made my bed, I guess I have to lie in it??????
Hugs
the other romantic heart

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Clad in Dreams revized

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary