navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Praise the Days (from the Poetry Workshop)
Open Poetry #43
Post A Reply Post New Topic Praise the Days (from the Poetry Workshop) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!

0 posted 2008-07-27 02:24 AM

Balladeer's challenge was, "Simple little poem with a rhyme scheme of  a-b-c-b, the  only difference being that the  last  word of each line must rhyme with the  first word or syllable of the next line. Sounds  easy enough..

Try it"
/pip/Forum22/HTML/000941.html

-----

Praise the Days

Evening sun shimmers pale yellow, milky;
silky silver strands then hides behind clouds.
Proud mountains folded away when day’s done.
One moon reigns over stars in cluster crowds.

Bowed trees create stark silhouettes of black,
crack at bark under hard, encrusted snow;
show signs that winter is nearing its end -
send light of spring days for new life to grow.

Sew costumes, green, for deciduous trees;
breeze soothes the conifers nestled within.
Lupine, fireweed, roses and iris, blue -
hues wash the land that comes alive again.

When winter’s magic ends and warmth of spring
brings wonders of life in natural ways,
praise gifts given by a creator’s hands
and bask in every spectacular day.

Alison

© Copyright 2008 Alison - All Rights Reserved
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
1 posted 2008-07-27 02:40 AM

Alison, I've been learning a great deal about a variety of poetic forms through the stretching of your poetic wings with the guidance of our venerable Balladeer!

Sending a "Thank You" hug to each of you!

This was lovely, A!

Linda xo

gdcod2player
since 2008-07-26
Posts 117

2 posted 2008-07-27 03:56 AM

i look forward to more
i havent been here long
but i so far like it
kinda confusing right now
but im not good with computers
=P

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2008-07-27 04:07 AM

Alaska (education tells me is the 51st - or is it 52nd? - state of the USA), but to me it is a mythical land of the midnight sun, where lives our Alison who melts the winter snows with her wonderful warmth.  OK, it takes you all of winter to do so, but then, Alaska is a big place!

I absolutely love reading your poems about Alaska and this one, as all of them, transports me to a another world, so different from my own, but equally beautiful, and makes me realise that our planet is a wonderful place in its diversity and its similarities.  

More, please (I'm greedy, aren't I!).  

- Owl

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
4 posted 2008-07-27 04:49 AM

Linda darlin',

Thank you.  Mr. Balladeer is doing some wonderful and fun things over in the Workshop.  I wish more would join in because he spends a lot of time with all of us.  Honestly, I really have struggled, but he is teaching me things that I never could grasp before.  I knew where some of my weaknesses were and would read the Critical Analysis board and be totally lost.  I still am sometimes.

Anyway, thank you for reading and thank you for being the lovely lady that you are.

Love,
A
------------------

gdcod2player

Welcome to PiP and thank you for taking the time to write a comment.  You don't have to be good with computers, just have fun.  If you need any help any of us will give you a hand.  This is a place to learn.

Alison
---------------

Dearest -Owl,

You are a wonderful woman to write with the warmth and level of caring that you show.  Alaska is the 49th state and is only now celebrating its 50th birthday as a state.  Hawaii (waves to James) is the baby of the nation.  Alaska is a beautiful place that I do little justice to.  

Thank you again.  You make me smile and you make me happy that I am trying to share my world.

Love,
Alison

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
5 posted 2008-07-27 05:36 AM

Dearest Alison

Thank you for your kind words and for the information.  Does that mean that there were no states added between Alaska and Hawaii and thus there are 50 states?  

Oh, I don't agree with your not doing justice to Alaska.  Why else would I think it is so wonderful?  

I can begin to imagine your summers, and as much as I would like to hear about them, I would love to hear more about your winters.  How many hours daylight do you have?  How does Alaska manage with ordinary jobs being done in darkness?  Perhaps I should have emailed you about this instead.

- Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
6 posted 2008-07-27 05:50 AM

You did a wonderful job, dear Alison! The rhymes are perfect and the meaning soars ...

Love,
Margherita

Prasad Nataraj
since 2008-05-29
Posts 1149
Bangalore,India
7 posted 2008-07-27 01:36 PM

Hi Alison, wonderful poem and you followed the guidelines perfectly… Great job, well done. Prasad
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
8 posted 2008-07-27 01:37 PM

You make me long to see Alaska, Alison. You definatelly do it justice and then some.
                                Ida

Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
9 posted 2008-07-27 02:39 PM

-Owl,

Ask away.  The United States has fifty states.  Alaska and Hawaii are often the cast-aside states at the bottom of the US map (grins).  So we are neighbors (waves to James).

Light varies in the state in summer and winter, depending on location.  Barrow does not see darkness in the summer for an extended period of time - and in the winter, they do not see the sun.  My home gets an maximum of about 22 hours of daylight in the summer and a minimum of about three hours of daylight in the winter.  Currently, we have almost 19 hours of day light and are losing almost seven minutes a day.

The temperatures (of where I live) usually dip to below -55 degrees Farenheit for a bit in the winter and we reach the 70's in the summer.  We have gone as long as about -66 to temperatures in the 90's.  The coastal regions of Alaska have more precipitation and less temperature exrtremes.  They are blessed with more wind and snow in the winter.

Winters are very hard on vehicles in the interior of Alaska.  When it reaches the extreme colds we get 'square tires' - which means that we drive bumping along like we have flats until the tires warm up enough from friction to have some give to them.  Sounds like a tall tale, doesn't it.  Also, all the cars have extension cords hanging out the front.  People often think that we all drive electric cars - nope, that cord is for the engine heater so we can start them when it is cold.  We plug in and keep our engines from freezing.

Most outside work is completed in the spring, summer and fall.  Exterior construction is completed in those months and interior is done when it is too cold to work outside.  Road work and other outside work is postponed until summer.  The roads are great in the winter - smoothed with ice and snow.  It's the summer when they are hellish potholes!  People are not buried in winter.  They are retained in a crypt until summer when the ground is thawed enough to bury them.  Personally, if I have to do something outside in the winter, I wear a headlamp.  They are a common part of the outdoor equipment of Alaskans.

Thank you for being interested and I'll write more about the winter just for you.

xoxoxo
Alison
--------------------

Margherita,

Thank you, lovely friend.  I love that you enjoy my poetry.  You seriously make my day.

Love,
Alison
---------------------

Ida,

Thank you and I hope you get up here some day.

xoxoxo
A

Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
10 posted 2008-07-27 02:47 PM

Prasad!

You slipped in and responded when I was writing to our -Owl.

Thank you and you inspired me to just get it done.

Alison

Prasad Nataraj
since 2008-05-29
Posts 1149
Bangalore,India
11 posted 2008-07-28 11:00 AM

Alison,
Interesting piece of prose, I’ve never seen snowfall all my life. Except in the movies on television, nice to read about Alaska. Thank you for the writing. One thing is common about Alaska and Bangalore though, the Potholes. I know you always do the class assignments and you do them great. Prasad

"Hardwork pays in the long run"

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
12 posted 2008-07-28 01:11 PM

Thank you sooooooooo much for that stunning account of Alaska!  

With every sentence my eyes popped out one jerk further from my head, fortunately joined by cords to their sockets (the cords being similar to the ones hanging out of the front of your cars in winter), so that I could eventually pull them back in one jerk at a time, first the left eye then the right!  

If it had been a stranger telling me these things, I would have thought they were joking.  What happens when something outside REALLY needs fixing - like electricity, etc?  

I loved the idea of the headlamp!  Like in the mines!  I am wondering why they aren't the norm in every country because there are so many occasions that they would be useful even where there aren't such long nights.  

I had to use my cell phone converter to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius to get an idea.  Your summers, it seems never get hot, and I shiver at the thought of your winter temperatures.

Do office workers work "normal office hours" in winter?  What about schools in winter?  

I have only been in snow once and it was only a few inches thick and didn't cover the ground completely.  That was when I was 19 and had just started teaching about 250 miles away from home.  There were two of us girls and two guys and we were going home for the weekend.  When we saw the snow (at Mooi River, Honeybunch, if you are reading), we got out of the car and had a snowfight - girls against the guys.  It was great fun.  When we got into the car, Evelyn's and my toes were freezing, as we were wearing slops (slip-slops I think they are called in the USA).  

Alison, do you ever see the effects of Aurora Boerealis?  I think I would die of excitement to see that in real life!

Thank you soooooo much for this.

- Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
13 posted 2008-07-28 01:15 PM

I also enjoyed your description of your world so much, dear Alison!
Thank you!!

Love and hugs.
Margherita

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
14 posted 2008-07-28 06:43 PM

I like the Challenge !

Nice Write

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Praise the Days (from the Poetry Workshop)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary