navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Vast Tarpaulin
Open Poetry #44
Post A Reply Post New Topic Vast Tarpaulin Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2009-01-03 10:01 AM

I could have sworn that I posted this and the next one, but I couldn't find either of them in Archives in a Search.

VAST TARPAULIN
16 June 2008

There is much or nothing
to consider
for whether the verdict
is fact
or fiction
why the sanguine underworld
can we not
celebrate
Thanksgiving
with Pollyanna?

- Owl

© Copyright 2009 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
steavenr
Member Elite
since 2003-11-17
Posts 4058

1 posted 2009-01-03 12:24 PM

glad you did post this one...and, btw, I have invited Pollyanna to every Thanksgiving I can remember...she's a far better guest than Sad Sack
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
2 posted 2009-01-03 12:42 PM

Goodbye Hayley Mills and Mary Pickford today lives in the deep stuff that makes fools out of the wise.

Nice touch...I enjoyed!

Eric

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
3 posted 2009-01-03 12:50 PM

If I knew Pollyanna, i would understand the poem...I am confused here Owl, could you help me ?

yann

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2009-01-03 05:39 PM

Well, m'dear, I have ofttimes been called a Pollyanna who wears rose-coloured glasses!

You're always welcome to celebrate Thanksgiving with me! lol

Don't ya love it when you uncover a poetic gem like this?

Linda

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 posted 2009-01-03 06:34 PM

Yo OwlSA,

I always liked Pollyanna.  With her great disposition, she was always a good fence for stolen goods.

Love Bobby

[This message has been edited by Robert E. Jordan (01-03-2009 08:22 PM).]

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2009-01-04 01:46 AM

What this is about is whether a TV movie is fact or fiction, why can’t it be without violence and negativity?  I know about the basic structure of drama, etc, but life doesn’t have to be violent, melodramatic and sad, so why should TV movies?  If the happy doesn’t seem real, then call it fantasy.  If it does, then call it realism.  The vast tarpaulin refers to the TV screen, a screen in a movie-house, and the sky of the world.  And of course, "why the sanguine underworld" is an attempt at a humorous version of "why the bloody hell".

Thanks Steaven.  Although I was only using Thanksgiving and Pollyanna as symbols, I enjoyed your humour!  Smiles.

Thanks, Eric.  I enjoyed your comment, but my belief is that they make wise people out of fools!

Yann, thanks for reading and thanks even more for asking.  Pollyanna was a movie (and a book), the main character being played by Hayley Mills.  Pollyanna had an optimistic sunshine view of everything that happened in the world and saw only good in people, and many people see her view as being saccharine sweet and overdone and unrealistic.  I, however, love her viewpoint, being the eternal optimist.  However, I have yet to learn how to see only good in people.  I certainly try, but often don't get it right, but I keep trying.  However, I am certainly of the viewpoint that there is good in the worst of us and bad in the best of us.  I think the trick is to concentrate on the best in all of us.

Thank you Linda for calling this a poetic gem.  Don't forget to set an extra place next Thanksgiving, because I will be there!  However, as we don't celebrate Thanksgiving (except in churches) in South Africa, be sure to let me know of the date.  I have never flown to the USA, and I may need to rest my wings for a while on any little islands I find along the way, so please let me know in good time as I think I may need to start flying about a week before, to be there in time!  Smiles.

Thanks Bobby for your response.  I must admit that your first sentence surprised me, but the second one reassured me that it was Bobby who was replying!  Smiles.

- Owl

[This message has been edited by OwlSA (01-04-2009 05:27 AM).]

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
7 posted 2009-01-04 03:44 AM

Oh, but of course I will let you know! Unfortunately, you may have to fly a little bit further than you may have thought. I live north of the U.S.A. Get those wings of yours primed and ready for that looooong flight! lol

Linda

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
8 posted 2009-01-04 03:51 AM

Thank you Owl for the complete and interesting comment, it helped a lot and explain some philosophy of yours...Quite interesting

yann

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
9 posted 2009-01-04 04:23 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean Diana. You just misunderstood my answer but then that's not unusual as we're not talking face to face or on the phone etc.

However, going along with what you're explaining here I always agreed with Heneley's lyrics to 'Dirty Laundry'

Way too much gets sensationalized.....INCLUDING the economic crises we're going through right now.

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
Its interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You dont really need to find out whats going on
You dont really want to know just how far its gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre stiff
Kick em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo
We can dance and sing
When its said and done we havent told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
10 posted 2009-01-04 05:13 AM

Oh, Linda, of course!  I forgot that you live in Canada and not the USA.  I think I will need to wear an owl-jersey (with wing-holes) to cope with the cold, too!  But I am game for that!  Hope I won't be game for any Canadian eagles, though!  Looking forward to it!  I have started on 100 extra flaps of my wings a day and will increase the number daily!

Thanks for explaining what you meant originally.  I thought it didn't sound like you, so I read it twice, and still got it wrong!  I, too, agree with the words in Heneley's lyrics in "Dirty Laundry".  I have never heard of him, nor of the song, so I am glad you posted them here.  Thanks.

- Owl
It was a pleasure, Yann.  I am glad you find this part of my philosophy interesting.

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
11 posted 2009-01-04 12:54 PM

Oh sorry he's Don Henley a member of the musical group the Eagles.

Take Care

Eric

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
12 posted 2009-01-05 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info, Eric.  I hope those eagles aren't owl-eating eagles!

- Owl

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
13 posted 2009-01-07 02:30 AM

- Owl,

I liked this when I read it and liked it more with your explanation.  Thank you for sharing and elaborating.

Alison

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
14 posted 2009-01-07 10:38 AM

Thanks, Alison.  I am glad you enjoyed it.

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Vast Tarpaulin

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary