navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Epiphany.....plus
Open Poetry #44
Post A Reply Post New Topic Epiphany.....plus Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California

0 posted 2009-02-23 05:36 PM

My daughter, Michelle, died in 1974 from Reye's Syndrome. She was eight years old. She had been sick with the mumps and I gave her baby aspirin for the discomfort.  The doctors didn't know what was wrong with her and gave her more aspirin in a suppository to help the vomiting. She died a day later. It was that year that the Reye's Syndrome Foundation was founded.
http://www.reyessyndrome.org/

When I was two, I was close to death with symptoms very much like Reye's Syndrome. I had just recovered from chickenpox when they began.  The doctors did not know what was wrong with me, either. I suspect that I was also given
aspirin.

I believe that the girl in the bed next to me in the hospital was my connection through time, to Michelle. She read to me and her presence gave me something very special, even though I never saw her face and only heard her voice.  She was 8, the age Michelle was when she died from Reye's. I don't know how I know this, but I do.  Michelle and I had already agreed to be there for each other, (on the other side of death), to comfort-hold life with precious appreciation and joy.  

I've wondered often about that girl that read to me for what seemed like endless time when I was so little....and now I'm sure that she was a
manifestation of Michelle.  The doctors didn't know how to treat what I had, because they didn't know what it was.  My veins were too small for them to get any kind of IV fluids into me, and I was told later that I was in a coma and near death.  A young intern thought to give me fluids by injecting them under the skin.  I began to improve.  I think the girl telling the story in her bed next to me had as much to do with it as did the intern.  This is still the story, only my hands now hold the book.
----------------------------------------

EPIPHANY

The room is blurry.
A cloth partition hums
with words from a story book.  
I love the girl that is reading to me
from the other side.  
She is sick too.
I think the story is real.
Stay awake an echo tells me,
this is too sweet to miss

but I fade in and out.
I am two
I tell the girl beside me
lost in the tall grass of time;
she smiles her words,
reading on into the drift of me.

She is eight and reads like angels
lifting clouds,
with each word comes
a dancing of choir,
making the compartment of my bed
into a meadow-come-spring.    

We are woven, she and I
into a story
that happens many years away,
then tells itself again
as I hold her across the partition,
knowing the kindness of death
has painted the cloth again.

--------------------------
It's been a long time since I've written anything new about Michelle and our special relationship far beyond mother and daughter.  Thanks very much for reading.

© Copyright 2009 Martie Odell Ingebretsen - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2009-02-23 05:45 PM

I am in awe, dear Martie, totally in awe.

For what you imply with your note and for how you express it in the incredibly deep poem.

I will read this again, there is a magnetic power to it.

Thank you for sharing your very core.

Love and hugs.
Margherita

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2009-02-23 06:45 PM

Martie, I have never experienced the loss you have,  but I know I could never write as graciously as you do.

M

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
3 posted 2009-02-23 09:07 PM

There is a corridor between this world and the next. You and Michelle exchange echoes in the hall ways.

I am glad you are able to write of her again.

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
4 posted 2009-02-24 03:11 AM

Dear Martie, I have experienced the death of a daughter also but she was 34 when she passed away with cancer leaving a ten year old daughter. I am so very touched by the way you write about your daughter and cry every time I read about your story because I feel it as only a mother who has lost a child can. I can only imagine what you have gone through and want you to know how much I admire your courage and your faith in the future,
                            Love,
                               Ida

tao power
since 2009-02-24
Posts 109

5 posted 2009-02-24 03:22 AM

good lord.  i wept.  i've never done that from reading a poem, to be honest.  what a work of art that was.
Boshii2
since 2009-02-01
Posts 146

6 posted 2009-02-24 04:06 AM

May I just sit below your poem ? In silence.
Boshii2

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2009-02-24 09:11 AM

Margherita is so correct - this is a very deep, spiritual poem; and it indeed came from your core of memories that even you hadn't touched in a long while. We all know when it is time to reveal something so dear to us, we don't have words. You finally found the words.

Oh Sis, I'm so damned proud of you!

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2009-02-24 12:35 PM

Speechless, sitting in tears with Boschi below your poem.  

Owl

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
9 posted 2009-02-24 01:05 PM

so beautiful.Thank you so much for sharing it. sincerely, Latearrival
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2009-02-24 01:15 PM

I truly believe that everyone comes into our live or path for a reason, just as they leave us.  Your bond to Michelle has been a learning experience of love for us all Martie.  Beautifully done.
Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
11 posted 2009-02-24 02:23 PM

1derful

Poet, said my Muse to me, look in thy heart and write.

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
12 posted 2009-02-24 03:37 PM

Martie - I could not read all of this, just too many sad memories. But written from your heart, and most touching...

BC

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
13 posted 2009-02-24 11:12 PM

Sad poem, and pulling my strings. My heart goes out to you!

The ability to describe life with words is similar to painting a picture; both can be powerful tools.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Epiphany.....plus

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary