navwin » Discussion » Feelings » miserable
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic miserable Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding

0 posted 2003-07-01 12:59 PM

I wish that I could wholeheartedly support my sister in her singing... but I can't, because I will always be second best when it comes to her. People wonder why I dont' sing... what's the point? I'm not as good. SHE wonders why I won't sing with her... why deliberately put myself up for being overshadowed? She's a beautiful singer, and her voice gives me chills. How can I compare to her? I can't. So I don't even try. I don't even know if it's worth trying to find what I'm good at, what if I've been right all along and I'm not good at anything? But I'll grit my teeth, smile, and support her as best I can just because she's my sister. Why did she get the talent and not me? It's not fair. Heh I hate it when I get jealous like this, I'm not supposed to be jealous of her, she's my sister, I'm supposed to be behind her 200%. Aren't I? My parents both sing, my sister sings, my brother apparantly has an amazing voice... It's always "Janice this, and Janice is doing that with her singing, and Janice has such a beautiful voice..."  is it wrong to want a little recognition from my parents that... I can't even write this anymore, it hurts too much.

© Copyright 2003 Rhonda Adolph - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2003-07-01 01:18 AM

honey, no one says you can't or even shouldn't feel jealousy...it's natural...try to keep in mind, it isn't her fault. You do have talent. You write. Who knows? Maybe you'll be the one to write the songs she sings. Then she will only be as good as the words you write for her to sing....well, it's a thought, isn't it
Don't beat yourself up over your feelings. maybe you could let your folks know how their constant praise of her, makes you feel hurt not because she's good, but because they don't make you feel good. Have you ever thought that maybe she is jealous of you for something? *hugs* I grew up always feeling "less than" my brother. Then when I got a little older, I realized his talents had nothing to do with mine. I hope you feel better soon...

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2003-07-01 08:32 AM

Susan has given you some good advice.  Each and every one of us is individually gifted.  It's up to us to find and uncover that gift.  If you love to write - Then write... Your due rewards will find you... They will...
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2003-07-01 09:05 AM

Rhonda,
Let me see...I took piano lessons, double bass lessons, organ lessons, voice lessons, sang in the choir and chorale groups. I was even going to be a music major. Then I made this horrifying discovery. I was average!

Dang, I hated when that happened. But it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Took away all kinds of pressure. I was a fanatic about sports...yup average. I was a fanatic about girls...woohoo!

You get the idea. I still have tons of friends and look at me...average. Who cares. YOU are a fantastic person. Nobody else's talent can take that away from you, ever. So when the pity party ends just remember we loved you when...you thought you were average!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
4 posted 2003-07-01 09:47 AM

Rhonda,
I do believe sibling rivalry exists in every family and in fact I also believe that it works for the better in most cases. It will work great for you as far as you don't get entwined with it.

Everybody is special in his or her own ways. There is nothing average about life. There is a lot of joy to be had with the salt that appears when the painful tears dry up. So relax and support your sister. Be proud of her rather than try to compete with her this way. I know you can write poetry. So keep at it, soon you will be a famous writer, I am sure.

Take care.

Cheers,
Regards,
Sudhir
P.S. Now, can we see you send me an e-mail... dueting!!! please ...

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
5 posted 2003-07-01 01:01 PM

Rhonda, don't forget that you are soon going to be a published poet! You're an awesome writer and advice-giver (and friend too)...and who knows? Maybe your voice is just waiting to be developed. Try singing with your sister just for the fun of it and see how it goes. And don't worry about talent....we all go through worrying about that. I do all the time. It'll come. *hugs*

~Elizabeth

Dreams last for so long, even after you're gone...
~Jewel

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2003-07-01 08:33 PM

I guess in this instance, I can only say "You Write!"

Your family is so blessed!

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
7 posted 2003-07-03 12:55 PM

Big to all of you... thank you guys so much for your encouragement. Unfortunately that subject comes up once or twice a year, I really do love her, and I really do support her. Thank you all again

It is said the Creator has taken a handful of South Wind and given each newborn Arabian the power of flight without wings

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
8 posted 2003-07-03 06:54 AM

Kewl beans... I bet she's NOT a published poet...
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » miserable

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary