navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Reality Check - Luther Vandross Has Stroke
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Reality Check - Luther Vandross Has Stroke Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2003-04-19 02:43 PM

I don't really follow the news of celebrities much, but this morning on my browser I noticed that Luther Vandross had suffered a stroke.  The record company is not announcing if he lost any motor skills, but we read between those lines, and know better.  He and I are old friends it seems, as he was always in the background while I was with that "special someone." I felt so sad as he was only 52, but then it hit me, I was in that age range too, and how lucky I have been.  This could have been me!  I decided to stop or definitely change the pace I was working at today, simply take a deep breath and focus on what really was important.  After reading this, I realized how hard I push myself sometime and for what exactly? I am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason, and obviously I was meant to read this on this particular day, so I sat to think about it, and why it got to me the way it did.  I am a closet "pusher" and keep the extra work I do "hidden behind the scenes", therefore when people show up possibly they think a "Martha Stewart clone" lives here, who knows?  When they make those "ooo's and ahhh's", I say the typical, "oh it was nothing really."  I actually read somewhere only two days ago they don't like that anyway, and all these years I was doing it for them!  They would much prefer you had not bothered, as it puts pressure on them and expectations they can't meet, so obviously you don't get invited, see?  Usually I am so exhausted from making that perfect dinner or evening, I never enjoy it, how about you?

The funny part is I quit work for good because of stress.  I decided to adjust my life style to live on less, as after all it was only "stuff", and I didn't need "stuff".  Here I am, just replacing work stress, with "fill the time stress", so I am going to be really busy next week throwing this new found stuff into the round file, and creating more space to live, and love my family.

Well today was a reality check for me, as I think I have been darn lucky so far.  Sure diet has a lot to do with it, but living over 50 years is a gift these days, due to our foods, and environment, and I am about to start enjoying my gift a bit more.  Each and every day is a true gift, so here's to not cluttering it up with "stuff", and let's just live!  You know I had a wise Gramma, who said when I asked her if she was afraid, as she was dying, "Honey, only those who are afraid to live, are afraid of dying,", and I guess I just forgot that.  So, if you are in this age range, are you into doing a reality check?  Got your priorities straight?  Just checking, and a very Happy Easter, or Passover to you and your family.  Perhaps you won't mind saying a tiny prayer for Luther on Sunday?

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (04-19-2003 03:40 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-04-19 02:48 PM

Pinch, check, reality.

Yep...I realize this every day that I talk to my brother, who has emphysema.  This is a disease that, when you run your body down, and being that it's hereditary, can take over even if you don't smoke...but he did, heavily, and he's paying the price.  I thank God each day he lets me talk to my brother in some way.

Strokes are another way of saying "guess who's Boss?" and it's not us...

I will keep him in my prayers...thank you, Mysteria, for the heads up...

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2003-04-19 03:00 PM

Wise Grandma's are wonderful to have... I can relate... Mine never smoked.. never drank... worked very diligently inside and outside of her house, getting lots of good exercise.. and through her later years had a very consistent diet of healthy food...

We'll be saying good-bye to her this Easter weekend... at 99.9 years of age...

We need to listen to our elders... They're pretty smart people...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2003-04-19 09:39 PM

Sharon,
I must say that I'm not much of a consumer. My cars are old...etc. Anyway it is interesting how our attention can be gotten to change our priorities. I lead a pretty relaxed life style. Sometimes I think I need to borrow some traits of a freind like you.

But since Nan says we should listen to our elders I'm going to pay attention to your advice. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) But if this plan keeps you around longer...then I'm all for it! Happy Easter.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2003-04-19 09:55 PM

I understand this one! carpe diem, friend, without stress

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2003-04-20 11:15 PM

I was also severely bummed when I heard of his stroke. When I was younger (OK, who am I kidding... even now) I could ALWAYS count on Luther the assist me with the lady (or not so lady) I was with on any particular evening.
As far as losing the funtion and skills, my mother had a severe stroke when I was but a lad of 14. Since Dad was in the Marines, and out on Deployment (and unable to get back) I was forced to assist her around the hosue, and help her to re-learn everything. With a great amount of effort, she was able to regain all functions. Here's hoping that Luther does as well.

When the morning cries and you don't know why...

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
6 posted 2003-04-21 02:28 AM

Wow I hadn't heard....I hope he's ok!!!  Mysteria I'm glad you are going to take special care of You now.  I'm happy to hear that.  

I like your new picture too.

My Dad passed away at age 54 on New Years Day 2002 of a massive stroke.  I really miss him.  

Anywayz, Passions is a great place cuz, of special people like you!!!!
Bridgette

"Somewhere, somehow, it should be possible to touch someone and never let go again.  To hold someone, not for a moment but forever." Unknown

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
7 posted 2003-04-21 07:11 AM

Well, my friend ... there you were reading the news and getting a reality check ... and here I am reading you now, and doing the same.

I guess I don't need to tell you that I consciously have to remind myself to relax .. that I'm only one person and what's the worst that can happen if "it" doesn't get done. Mind you ... with my imagination of what's the "worst", I'm my own worst enemy I think. Nonetheless, I'm trying, I'm trying.

Thanks for reminding us to take a step back, and be thankful just to "be".  Love you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Reality Check - Luther Vandross Has Stroke

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary