navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Sept. 11th Movie
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sept. 11th Movie Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

0 posted 2006-08-09 02:41 PM

I don't know, if this is the correct forum to open this thread in, but here goes, if it's wrong, please feel free to move it.

I'm wondering what ya'll think of the Sept. 11th movie coming out, staring Nicholas Cage and do you plan on seeing it...why or why not?

I'll start

I don't know if I'll see it, don't know if I could handle it...but honestly, I believe this is something that should never be forgotten...I understand the main story refrences a fireman, and his survival, and the ones who didn't come home.  I'd like to see it, but I'm afraid, I'd end up crying the entire movie.  

My sister always says "I don't want to go see a movie that's not going to entertain me and/or do nothing but upset me."  On this one, I'm inclined to agree with her.

© Copyright 2006 Lee J. - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2006-08-09 03:07 PM

I definitely intend to go see it~
That day, and the intensity of the events surrounding that day, is forever etched in my mind and it is my feeling that I want to see the events from another perspective~

Was speaking with my hairdresser today about this ... we both 'know' we will cry, but we cried on that day and many days and years since~

We both thought of the events on the day of the assination of John F. Kennedy and how terribly shocked and hurt we felt that day, but have seen so many re-enactments and actual historical film footage of it through the years ... it was an important event that changed many lives and the September 11 atrocities did the same~

I am one who actually does not go to the movies to be entertained ... I go to learn more about staying in touch with my feelings and not too many movies out there give us the chance to do that~

Hope some of my comments may help you, Lee~

We all know these were real people, the event stirred the populace to overwhelming degrees of horror, grief, vulnerability and rage~

I personally feel that I need to make the time to revisit those feelings~

[This message has been edited by Marge Tindal (08-10-2006 03:07 PM).]

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

2 posted 2006-08-09 03:24 PM

Many thanks Margie for your input, of which I value.  Gave me food for thought...I will give this statement of yours more consideration, as it makes sense....and yeah, I'm right there with ya on the assisination as well.
I can see your point of view as far as the entertainment, but also understand my sister's as well.  

I read a very good article on the movie that parallels your feelings on the subject.

Kimberly ann
since 2006-05-29
Posts 61

3 posted 2006-08-09 03:27 PM

i want to go see it....but i don't think i want to cause it would just upset me and i think its still to early for a movie anyways
maybe next year i would watch it.

kimberly ann

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2006-08-10 12:06 PM

honestly? I will probably wait and rent it. I don't like to cry around that many people I don't know. But I will see it. I normally don't do the crying movies at the show. Not even the romantic ones.
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

5 posted 2006-08-10 07:07 AM

Kimberly and Sea,

Thanks so very much for your honest opinion...gave this some more thought last evening, and this is what comes to mind....

We humans seem to forget things of this nature, we don't mean to, it is just part of human nature...to not want to think about or face the bad stuff.  

Oft times I wonder about the families of those who lost their lives in this senseless tragedy.  Where are they today, how are their children, how are they're spouses doing?    

After much thought, in my heart, I believe to revisit this event through the movie would be a tribute to them.  

To let them know that they are still in our hearts mind and prayers.  And you know something, why should I care if I cry and others see me?  Maybe I won't...doesn't matter, what matters is, that we don't forget this ever.  

Unfortunately, Not all events in life are kind happy ones...and this particular event, should be learned from on a grand scale of a whole lot of emotions.  They were part of our community, our neighbors and friends...they are real people, and I'm not in the least offended by the fact that they've made this a movie.  I think it's a good thing and a good memory for those families.  

And so, just my thoughts, no one is wrong for their decission to see it or not...especially with the new threat this morning.  

Ironically, this mornings threat was a topic of conversation last evening with a very dear friend.  

Many thanks for your input.  

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2006-08-10 12:53 PM

I am Canadian, and this is one historic event I don't think I will ever forget, along with a few others.  Our family still talks about that horrible day in collected sadness.  I don't think I want to see this movie, no matter how well done, but it may bring "something" home to those that maybe need to see it for their own closure. I understand they are very true to fact on this movie.  Unfortunately, it was truly a very, sad, and unforgettable day, that I for one don't need to have my mind jogged about.
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
7 posted 2006-08-10 03:34 PM

I'm undecided as yet, but think I probably will go see it.  I saw "The Passion" and "Shindler's List".  Although they upset me, I'm glad I saw them.

Rae

[This message has been edited by sandgrain (08-10-2006 10:19 PM).]

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

8 posted 2006-08-11 01:13 PM

thanks to you Sharon and Sandgrain for your feedback...no matter what one decides to do, isn't wrong....

God bless the families of those who were lost.  

beautyincalvary
since 2006-07-13
Posts 98

9 posted 2006-08-11 03:39 PM

Basically, September 11th was a part of life. I am not insensitive, but I see this attack as no different than everything else happening in our world. Sure, it was horrible and I will always remember and think about it, but I will always remember and think about the African genocides, the Holocaust, the millions of women getting raped, all the people dying of AIDS, hate crimes, everyone close to me that has died; there are so many other horrible things going on in this world. By now, things like this are a part of life, and if I break down at every single on of them, I will not be able to live a normal life. Growing up in a world so full of grief and crime, 911 was just another instance. Things like this will always happen.

I will go and see the movie, but I don't think I will find it particularly touching.

Schindler's List was one thing; it was absolutely HORRIFYING. It is just... amazing that people can dehumanize so much as to use others as shooting targets because of their religion. Hotel Rwanda was the same. But terrorism... it happens. There is something different with killing for your country(especially suicidal) and killing out of pure hatred, that I can't explain.

Plus, I am an actor and find well-made movies to be very rare.

PoetAtHeart13
since 2006-08-11
Posts 24
Maryland
10 posted 2006-08-12 11:37 AM

I definitely want to see this movie. It seems sad and even the preveiws nearly make me cry. Especailly when the he writes I <3 u on the peice of paper.

I want to go see it, but i dont know if my parents will let me. It has been 5 years and I think this is the...third movie about September 11th...

So, yeah thats my opinion on the movie.

Much luv,
Rissa*

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
11 posted 2006-08-12 01:25 PM

I do not need to see a movie to remember:
/main/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayarchive&number=90&topic=002426

It is true that the events of 9/11/01 were only one set of issues, the war has been going on much longer than that.  

Many of us who keep this as an isolated memory do so for very personal reasons.  Those who refuse to see it as part of a global war are living in a world of illusion.  

The recent events in England may help some people understand, but the reality of this war frightens many people so deeply that they refuse to see the obvious.  

The religious and philosophical differences involved are irreconcilable.  This can not be resolved by negotiation.  The end of this war will not be a point of negotiated peace; it will be the reality of annihilation by force.  

I would find it very surprising if Hollywood shed any real light on the issues of substance as their money most often is made by elevating the trite and by pandering to the trivial.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
12 posted 2006-08-12 02:42 PM

I will be seeing the movie this evening~

I am as prepared as I can get for the feelings it will bring back to the surface for me~

Will report back with my gut-feelings on the movie~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -       noles1@totcon.com       

Marge Tindal
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
13 posted 2006-08-13 11:09 AM

I saw the movie~
Hollywood didn't expand on the terrorism or the reasons behind it ... they simply told the story of some brave men who rescued some other brave men~

It was not as emotionally traumatic as I had anticipated (I cried a couple of times at some touching scenes)~
I did find myself reflecting upon that day and feeling such tremendous loss again~

Lee~
Go see it ...~
It moved relatively quickly ... as many things that day did not~

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -       noles1@totcon.com       

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

14 posted 2006-08-14 07:01 AM

I saw the movie this past weekend...thanks Margie for your advice/and review

There were many reasons why the movie was a true experience....

1. there was no political adgenda nor did it elaborate on terrorism

2. it focused on the heroism and rescue of 2 police officers in the aftermath of it all

3. And my favorite part was the series of events that also focuses on a troubled marine who was compelled/driven to put on his uniform and drive from Connecticut to ground zero...it was truly a spiritual calling.

Stone used firfighters and medics that were actually there at ground zero...to me, the movie served one pupose...

it was a triumph & hopeful vision of what it is to be an American...which, actually gives me chills as I'm writing this now...what the movie is about is an entire nation of strangers who came together as one family...the ending was remarkable.  

I'd strongly suggest to go see it, as it is not what you'd expect it to be.  

This movie made me proud to be an American.

I commend Stone on this one

nick_lyss
since 2006-08-21
Posts 88

15 posted 2006-08-28 07:05 PM

in my opinion i think its too early to have a movie on sept.11.alot of people are still upset about what happened to their family and friends.in a way i want to see the movie but i think that a person who went through that event and they lost someone dear to them that the sadness inside of them will grow.

does anyone agree

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

16 posted 2006-08-29 08:50 AM

yes, I agree with you wholeheartidly and understand how and why you feel the way you do...

but this movie was not what you would expect it to be, it was for me, hopeful and gave me a feeling that an awful lot of good came out of the tragic, people came together as one giant family...for me, it helped somewhat....?

[This message has been edited by LeeJ (08-30-2006 08:33 AM).]

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
17 posted 2006-09-07 02:38 AM

LeeJ, I think I'm going to pass on this one.  My daughter was there that day and I will never forget the trauma we all lived waiting to know if she was alright.  I will remember without any dramatization, but I agree with Sharon's comments.  *hugs*....jo
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Sept. 11th Movie

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary